Caldera Cone Foster's pot StarLyte Burner

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Caldera Cone Foster's pot StarLyte Burner

Post by zelph » Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 pm

I've designed a new Flat bottomed Foster's can to be used with the Caldera Cone and StarLyte Burner.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Caldera Cone Foster's pot StarLyte Burner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 pm

I like your keyway? Attachment for the cone. What if you have a pot full of food? Would you have to leave the cone attached while eating? Any possibility od making the lower ridges on the pot go inward or less defined than the top ridge that sits on the cone? :idea:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 am

I'm in a mindset that Foster pots are used for heating water for freezer bag meals and coffee/hot cocoa. :o

I guess you could leave the cone attached while eating or drinking from the pot. It will act like a "cozy" :geek:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I did some test with this set-up today and the results were not to my liking. The distance from pot bottom to burner is not right :roll: .............bahhhhhh Humbug :lol:

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat May 04, 2013 1:44 am

I have been dutifully devouring the BPlite archives and I just recently read about a little disc capillary force vaporizer stove that needed to be propped up to allow sufficient air to be drawn up and around the sides for good fuel/air mix and combustion. That "under" void space was critical to get the right flow.

Do you think this is similar to what is happening? Insufficient airflow from the bottom/sides of the stove when it is right on the ground as opposed to up on a shim? (sans the obvious difference of side burning vs top burning.)

Cheers

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 04, 2013 10:50 am

cruiser wrote:I have been dutifully devouring the BPlite archives and I just recently read about a little disc capillary force vaporizer stove that needed to be propped up to allow sufficient air to be drawn up and around the sides for good fuel/air mix and combustion. That "under" void space was critical to get the right flow.

Do you think this is similar to what is happening? Insufficient airflow from the bottom/sides of the stove when it is right on the ground as opposed to up on a shim? (sans the obvious difference of side burning vs top burning.)
Cheers
Brings back good memories :D I like that design. I think it was made to be under a SP600 mug. It might be the right size for a flat bottom Foster's pot. I came across a box in my garage that had all the parts to make a few of those stoves. They are stoves, not just burners ;) Stoves require pot supports ;)

Raising the capillary force stove was primarily to get it off the ground and the secondary reason was to make sure it had proper air flow.

The problem with the latest tests was with the amount of distance being too great and the large amount of draft occurring within the cone. Too much draft and too much air space between burner and bottom of pot. Fuel was being "sucked" right out of the burner.

The gentleman from Turkey said he was getting good results by using a hardware cloth pot support with his foster's and the StarLyte burner. The pot support was 5 squares high, which is 2.5 inches. The pot support was stored outside the pot and added some further protection to it.