Whirlwind Windscreen

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Whirlwind Windscreen

Post by zelph » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 am

I like tinkering with DIY projects. I like science related stuff for use with my stoves.
I've done some research on laminar flow and how it relates to flames going up the side of a pot. Some say laminar is not what we want. Most everyone wants the flames to stay under the pot for all practical reasons. I had an idea of how to better keep those flames concentrated on the bottom and to have the heat generated hug the sides of the pot as it rises in a agitated manner(better than laminar). The idea was to have the entering air whirl the flames in a circular motion. I used louveres to focus the air in a "whirlwind" motion as you will see in the video.

I think the flame pattern is cool!

quoted from the youtube "description"

You are looking up under the windscreen at the Modified StarLyte Burner. I'm using my new design of windsceen that I named "Whirlwind Windscreen". The view is through a sheet of tempered glass and the image is be reflected by a mirror. Watch the whirlwind pattern of the flames as I remove the pot from the windscreen. That pattern is created by the design of the holes in the screen. In the water heating mode, pot resting on the pot support, the flames are swirling around the bottom of the pot. They are being kept in a regulated flowing pattern. Distance from burner to pot is at a precise distance. Windscreen is approximately 3/8" away from sides of Foster's pot. I used aluminum flashing for the windscreen. Windscreen sets flat on ground.

Take a look at what I came up with, let me know what you think:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Whirlwind Windscreen

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed May 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Looks like the windscreen creates a nice swirling flame pattern ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 22, 2013 9:05 pm

I get the impression that the heat swirls around the side of the pot for even heating. If there are any scientists out there come on in and give your opinions. :D

Here is a photo of it next to a foster's pot that the video was made with.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm

more swirly fire videos please.... :geek:
Like the windscreen a lot

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 27, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks Kadyak. Maybe today with high humidity 87%...thunderstorms predicted...........no field tests :lol:

I'm really doing good on cleaning up my stove stuff. Got the garage full with no room for cars :roll: better not get any hail with the storm that's coming in :(

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 am

Great thread! I'm learning through trial and error that the windscreen design/setup is just as important as the pot/stove setup. It's more to it than just protecting the flames from the wind. Looking forward to seeing more on this...

FT

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 pm

I wish I could concentrate on this project but things just keep popping up that makes it stay on the back burner. :roll: I'm trying to get ready to go East into Ohio for a few days R&R

Once I tweak the windscreen to allow only what air is needed to maintain the swirl, then I can say whoooohoooo!!! :mrgreen: I sure do like the way it whirls around :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:29 am

This project is by no means dead :lol:

I'm busy into getting rid of stuff. Half my garage is cleared out. I can fit one car into it now :DB: Storms rolled through the area yesterday, thought I may not have a garage to store any more stuff in....all is well no damage.............back to sorting :mrgreen:

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Hello everyone. Glad to be back after a long hike this summer. Catching up on my reading.

Dan, this is cool. It reminds me of "low-swirl combustion", although that involves premixed fuel and oxygen. In the case of low-swirl, the turbulence improves the efficiency, permits leaner fuel mixes and stabilizes the flame by better mixing the fuel and oxygen at the combustion site (helps get rid of that "cold" oxygen deprived spot in the middle of the flame).

Very cool.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:18 pm

cruiser wrote:Hello everyone. Glad to be back after a long hike this summer. Catching up on my reading.

Dan, this is cool. It reminds me of "low-swirl combustion", although that involves premixed fuel and oxygen. In the case of low-swirl, the turbulence improves the efficiency, permits leaner fuel mixes and stabilizes the flame by better mixing the fuel and oxygen at the combustion site (helps get rid of that "cold" oxygen deprived spot in the middle of the flame).

Very cool.
I've had a problem with staying focused with good ideas :lol: I wander off on other good ones like the StarLyte burner for simmering....a boat load of folks liked the idea a lot over at backpackinglight.com. Took me a while to make a batch available for them.