Simmer device for 12-10 and StarLyte burners

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Simmer device for 12-10 and StarLyte burners

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 pm

While working on the "eureka" project I had the idea to make a simmer device for Caldera Cone 12-10 burner and the StarLyte burner. The hole sizes are different for each burner due to their design. In the video I show it being used on the 12-10.

Once the water comes to a boil I remove the foster pot along with the cone windscreen and then place the device onto the burner. It's really easy to do as you'll see in the video.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Re: Simmer device for 12-10 and StarLyte burners

Post by russb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:19 pm

What is the material you are using? What hole size worked best for the starlyte?

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:57 pm

It's carbon felt welders type of stuff. I'll measure the holes tomorrow. The discs are out in the freezing garage. I thought this method of making a burner go into a simmer mode was the most user friendly of anything I've ever seen. Response to it has been practically non existent. But, you'll probably see copycat use on youtube. :o

Today was "make cookies" and play games with grandchildren today :D

NorCalKen

Post by NorCalKen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:31 pm

All those fair weather ultra lighters have their kit packed away for the season. I would imagine come spring that you'll have more interest in what you have done here. You are already dealing with a niche in a niche group. Don't be discouraged by the seemingly lack of interest. It's like selling snow shoes in July. The carbon felt is a great idea. I tested out one of TD's titanium simmer rings a while back. It is amazing how long that stove will burn.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:08 pm

The hole for the 12-10 is 3/8"

The hole for the StarLyte is 1/2"

NorCalKen, what are the instructions for using the TD simmer ring and what is was your test results? Is there a link to feedback on TD's site? I can only think the device has to be pre-set and then placed onto the burner. I don't see someone being able to adjust it while sitting along side the hot burner. During your testing, did the 12-10 "burp" vapors go poofh once the simmer device was put on? You see in my video once in a while the stove "burped" . That doesn't happen with the StarLyte burner.

Ken, do you have a need to simmer when you are out hiking or camping?

Anyone want one of these discs to test? I can make up a dozen tomorrow?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 pm

How long will the starlyte burn in simmer mode?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

I'll test it today for you. :D

jbutzi

Post by jbutzi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 pm

The simmer ring is brilliant and elegant. Great design/idea.

Are you selling them?

NorCalKen

Post by NorCalKen » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:05 am

Dan, I had the version with an adjustable high/low setting. Ineffective. Both settings let the stove simmer without any poofing or weirdness. Repeatedly got 30 minutes or so with 25ml of fuel in 60 degree temps.

I would like to try what you have come up with. I'm sure others at the GGG would be interested as well. Lee and Russ from Trail Designs will be there too.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm not selling them. I need to do more testing before I do that.

I'll send some to the gathering of the GGG out west to test.

todays test conducted on my unheated porch.

Had 2 cups of water brought to a boil using the 12-10. Used the Caldera Cone for the foster keg.

Once the water boiled I let it boil till fuel ran out. Lifted off the cone and keg, added 1/2 ounce of fuel, lit the burner and then placed the felt device onto burner, replaced cone and pot. With the lid slightly off to the side, the water temp hovered around 210 degrees. At times when I removed the cover I could see a small column of bubbles rising in the middle. bubbles were of the 1/4" size.

1/2 ounce of HEET simmered for 22 min.

The ideal situation is to use 1 ounce of fuel. 1/2 of it would boil 2 cups and then lift the unit up and place felt device onto burner and replace cone unit. Simmer for desired length.

---------------------------------------

Later I'll test how long the StarLyte will burn with device under the cone.

I also want to test how well it will work with an "esbitlyte" burner.