StarLyte XL 4.5

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
skuzapo

Re: StarLyte XL 4.5

Postby skuzapo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Zelph, the construction is great. I don't know how you get that top clamped on so neatly. There are no leaks whatsoever. I had that baby turned upside down a whole night and not a drip with 4 oz in suspension. I like the strength that this rolled or clapped rim gives the burner, like your Fosters pots. The ridge at the bottom of the pot and the ones underneath give the bottom strength , this will keep it from getting too beat up in a pack or pot. It sure is lightweight and yet ridge for aluminum . Its amazing what folds and ridges can do ;)

Skuz

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:41 pm

skuzapo wrote:Zelph, the construction is great. I don't know how you get that top clamped on so neatly. There are no leaks whatsoever. I had that baby turned upside down a whole night and not a drip with 4 oz in suspension. I like the strength that this rolled or clapped rim gives the burner, like your Fosters pots. The ridge at the bottom of the pot and the ones underneath give the bottom strength , this will keep it from getting too beat up in a pack or pot. It sure is lightweight and yet ridge for aluminum . Its amazing what folds and ridges can do ;)

Skuz

Thank you for your insight and evaluation. :D Yes, ridges and edges are my friends :mrgreen:

Here is what I'm thing of doing. A carbon felt disc is placed over the stove to prevent thermal feedback. The disc is of a size that will allow the pot support to rest on the stove. The The simmer plug-in is used when wanting to simmer cook.
Attachments
001.JPG
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Interesting.

A few off the cuff comments:

Will reducing the thermal feedback over those top edges reduce the stoves ability to use all it's fuel efficiently, considering the orientation of the absorbent fibers in those corners.

If its necessary, can you put the carbon felt insulator on the inside and reduce the number of separate pieces?

Speaking of separate pieces, instead of the "plug" for simmering, can't you just pull the outer ring askew? Heck, drag it all the way off as a shut off when you are done.

(EDIT: as I turn my mind on this, do you have any idea what Dometic uses as the white wick-like material in the origos?)

(EDIT EDIT: Thanks for the post and pics skuz!!!)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:07 am

Will reducing the thermal feedback over those top edges reduce the stoves ability to use all it's fuel efficiently, considering the orientation of the absorbent fibers in those corners.

I think there will be plenty of thermal feed back to efficiently have the larger percent of fuel evaporate. There will be fuel remaing in the outer corners no doubt, how much???? we don't know.

If its necessary, can you put the carbon felt insulator on the inside and reduce the number of separate pieces?

If it's inside, it will absorb and hold fuel and will not be able to provide thermal insulation when wet with fuel.

Speaking of separate pieces, instead of the "plug" for simmering, can't you just pull the outer ring askew? Heck, drag it all the way off as a shut off when you are done.

Yes, that's an alternate method of simmering if there is enough felt to prevent vapors from going to the outer edge and ignite. For sure it's a way to snuff it out.

(EDIT: as I turn my mind on this, do you have any idea what Dometic uses as the white wick-like material in the origos?)

Not sure what they use today but I use the same material as they did back in the year???? when I first developed the StarLyte,

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:39 am

"Not sure what they use today but I use the same material as they did back in the year???? when I first developed the StarLyte"

Oh sorry I wasn't very clear. I know you use that same absorbent material and I wouldn't ask for you to give away your secret sauce. LOL.

I meant what appears to be a white wicking material ... which I have always just assumed moves fuel up along the horizontally oriented absorbent fibers of the Origo reservoir. (In the attached pic the white fluff running in the channels/slots in the center.) I was thinking maybe a thin layer of such a wick on top of the Starlyte 4.5 would draw out fuel from those upper corners?

I didn't realize carbon felt could absorb fuel, although I read your post comparing different wicking materials a couple years ago ... apparently I just failed at my reading comprehension. Have you ever heard of Foamglas? I'll have to see if I can source a piece. If I can I'll send you some. Insulating. Fire resistant. Non wicking. Non absorbent. Inert. A thin piece might be just the ticket for an internal thermal feedback barrier.
Attachments
image.jpg
White wick??

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:50 am

No, never heard of the foamglas stuff.

I'll have to look at one of my Origo fuel canisters and see if I can use a tweezers and remove a little of the white product in the name of stove science :mrgreen:

Carbon felt has fibres that are oriented in all directions like cotton. It absorbs but does not have the vertical capillary feature. A couple years ago I did a test with it in a 3" tall aluminum container that "Skidsteer" brought to our attention. The carbon felt failed miserably as a wicking medium.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 pm

The StarLyteXL-FS is now listed in my store. Only members of bplite will be able to purchase at this time. You must include a note at paypal telling me what your name is on my site example "Connie"

Here is what the description says:

The StarLyteXL-FS is a new member to the StarLyte family of stoves.

Available to members of bplite.com only at this time.

The "burner" portion weighs 1 ounce, is 1 inch tall and is 3-3/8 inches in diameter.

The "pot support" is made of 306 stainless steel, weighs 0.1 ounce and is 1" tall, same as the burner and will wrap around the burner for compact storage.

The burner holds 4 ounces of fuel in suspension, which means the fuel won't spill out once it's filled. A superior safety feature for every day use and especially in states where "burn bans" are common.

1 plastic lid is supplied to seal the burner to save unused fuel. Lid is made of HDPE plastic. Lid weighs 0.1 ounce.

1 fuel bottle and measuring cup is also supplied.

Cost is $40.00 FREE Shipping

The photo shows the 2 different sizes as discussed in the thread at bplite.com The paypal "add to cart" button will have a drop down selection to choose the size you want. The XL-F is the one with the larger hole in the center and it boils water "F"aster The XL-S is the smaller one that boils water "S"lower.......;-)

--------------------------------------

Here is the link to the page that is visible only to bplite members and viewers. To purchase you must have an account here.

Link Removed, all sold out

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Here is a video I made today at photobucket. click on the photo to view it:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 am

I've had one unit under test for vaporization since 1/29/15 and weighed it today. Results= No weight loss, no loss by evaporation. It was filled with 4oz fuel. The plastic lid fits really tight to prevent loss. That's great. I gave 3 of the burners away for field testing. I'm waiting for feed back to continue on. ;)

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:52 pm

I would love to get one of these whenver they become available. It seems that among other uses, it would be great for a short trip without having to carry additional fuel containers.
I recently used my old starlite for over a week of very cold and windy temps and was again thrilled with its steady quiet performance. I even pan fried a new york strip for breakfast .

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”