New STUFF for 2015

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

New STUFF for 2015

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 am

New stuff coming for the year 2015

Foster pots with twiggy wire bails for easy lifting off of stoves.

EZ-Wire Former for DIY repair projects.

Cook kit utilizing the large StarLyte burner. (foster pot with twiggy bail)

and more to come ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: New STUFF for 2015

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:06 pm

The "Twiggy" bail is held up with a twig while water is heating so the bail stays cool and also makes it easy to grab hold of when water comes to a boil.

The twig goes through the loop on top of the lid. It's off center so the bail is off to the side of all the heat.

The bail is tempered stainless and so it retains it's shape. Can be twisted one half turn and then tucked inside the pot for storage. Swivels are attached to a stainless steel wire to the outside of the can lip. No holes through the pot.

Koozy is a quality tapered neoprene cup holder. Present from my grandaughter :D It's under test to high heat of alchy stove use. Holding up well.
Attachments
Twiggy Bail 002.JPG
Twiggy Bail 001.JPG

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Good ideas! How far down the pot does the cozy sit?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Good ideas! How far down the pot does the cozy sit?
3.5" down from top. It's a full size Foster pot 16oz. I did a test in the house today with a fancee feest stove and after a while I started to smell rubber in the air :mrgreen: it still looked good but it was beginning to melt somewhere. a few more tests will prove whether or not it will survive.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:31 pm

How much are you selling the twigs for these days? :roll:
:lol:
Cozys..we use socks around the french press pots I use..Usually are carrying an extra pair..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:48 pm

realityguy wrote:How much are you selling the twigs for these days? :roll:
:lol:
Cozys..we use socks around the french press pots I use..Usually are carrying an extra pair..
:lol: the hole is dual purpose....I like it! :D Why not use instant coffee? Is there that much difference in taste by using a press.?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Most instant coffee does not compare to the taste of fresh coffee ;) I did try some Starbucks Via Columbia tubes that I really liked. I believe they are part ground coffee and part instant. Excellent flavor! It's all a matter of what each person likes. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:31 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Most instant coffee does not compare to the taste of fresh coffee ;) I did try some Starbucks Via Columbia tubes that I really liked. I believe they are part ground coffee and part instant. Excellent flavor! It's all a matter of what each person likes. ;)
I thought instant was super fine ground coffee :? I'll have to google search.

Here is what I found:

Production[edit]

As with regular coffee, the green coffee bean itself is first roasted to bring out flavour and aroma. Rotating cylinders containing the green beans and hot combustion gases are used in most roasting plants. When the bean temperature reaches 165 °C the roasting begins, accompanied by a popping sound similar to that produced by popcorn. These batch cylinders take about 8–15 minutes to complete roasting with about 25–75% efficiency. Coffee roasting using a fluidized bed only takes from thirty seconds to four minutes, and it operates at lower temperatures which allows greater retention of the coffee bean aroma and flavor.

The beans are then ground finely. Grinding reduces the beans to 0.5–1.1-millimetre (0.020–0.043 in) pieces in order to allow the coffee to be put in solution with water for the drying stage. Sets of scored rollers designed to crush rather than cut the bean are used.

Once roasted and ground, the coffee is dissolved in water. This stage is called extraction. Water is added in 5–10 percolation columns at temperatures of 155 to 180 °C; this concentrates the coffee solution to about 15–30% coffee by mass. After filtration, this may be further concentrated before the drying process begins by either vacuum evaporation or freeze concentration.

Freeze drying[edit]

A freeze dryer
The basic principle of freeze drying is the removal of water by sublimation.

Since the mass production of instant coffee began in post-WWII America, freeze-drying has grown in popularity to become a common method. Although it is sometimes more expensive, it generally results in a higher-quality product.
1.Agglomerated wet coffee granules are rapidly frozen (slow freezing leads to large ice crystals and a porous product and can also affect the colour of the coffee granules).
2.Frozen coffee is placed in the drying chamber, often on metal trays.
3.A vacuum is created within the chamber. The strength of the vacuum is critical in the speed of the drying and therefore the quality of the product. Care must be taken to produce a vacuum of suitable strength.
4.The drying chamber is warmed, most commonly by radiation but conduction is used in some plants and convection has been proposed in some small pilot plants. A possible problem with convection is uneven drying rates within the chamber, which would give an inferior product.
5.Condensation — the previously frozen water in the coffee granules expands to ten times its previous volume. The removal of this water vapor from the chamber is vitally important, making the condenser the most critical and expensive component in a freeze-drying plant.
6.The freeze-dried granules are removed from the chamber and packaged.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:04 pm

I like Nescafe Classico coffee.

I like especially that it has a crema at the surface.

I have wondered: is it crema of coffee house coffee?

I think it has the granules, but it also has an amount of fine particulate powder that makes the "crema".

Maybe it only appears to be a "true" crema, but it behaves the same. I add Coffee Mate and it makes cream bubbles in the surface. Boy! It is so much like having coffee house coffee than other coffee I can have at home.

I have a small amount Nescafe Suave when I want to vary the "dark roast" flavor.

The Nescafe Classico isn't "dark roast" like a coffee house, which I consider "burnt". As far I am concerned, Nescafe Classico is "just right" for a "dark roast" flavor.

Of course, it isn't a great David's Delicatessan San Francisco, CA Cafe au Lait.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Zelph, are you going to do more with pot stands and snap fit?

I would like the 1-cup can to snap fit.