trail chili

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
Skidsteer

Re: trail chili

Post by Skidsteer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:17 pm

DarenN wrote:
Skidsteer wrote:carne guisada.
i'm gonna look that up! ;)

edit: i beg to differ, if you don't mind. about 30 recipes i looked at showed tomato or tomato sauce, as well as bell peppers.

what's your favorite recipe Skids?

Daren.........
Ingredients
Specialty Malts: Crystal Malt 10L 1 lb
Black Patent Malt 1/4 lb
Roasted Barley 6 oz
Malt Extract: American Classic Dark 6.6 lb
Other Sugars: Domino Brown Sugar 3/4 lb
Dark Molasses 3/4 lb
Corn Sugar 1 lb
Lactose 1/4 lb
Boiling Hops: Hallertauer Leaf a5.6 1 3/4 oz
Finishing Hops: Hallertauer Leaf 1 oz
Aromatic Hops: Hallertauer Leaf 1 1/2 oz
Brewing Licorice: 2 inches
Gypsum 1/2 tsp
Water Crystals 1/2 tsp
Irish Moss 1 tsp
Yeast: Whitbread Ale 14 g

Basic Recipe
About two hours before you plan on making the beer, make a yeast starter. In a small pot, bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil. Dissolve in about one tablespoon of malt extract and boil for a minute or two. Put on the lid, remove it from the heat, and let it cool. When room temparature, put in a mason jar and add the yeast. By the time you're done making the beer, your yeast should be very bubbly and active. When recipe calls for you to pitch the yeast, pour the contents of the jar into the fermenter. This gives the yeast a head start, which reduces the probability of any undesireable organisms contaminating your beer.

Crush the crystal malt, roasted barley, and black patent malt Crush the licorice.

Add Crystal Malt to 1 gallon of water, bring to 150-degrees, cover, and let stand for one hour. Sparge into boiler; use enough water (150-degrees) for runoff to be clear.

Dissolve malt extract, sugars & molasses into the water in the boiler. Stir & bring to a boil; then add 1/4 of the boiling hops and licorice. Let boil 15 minutes.

Add 1/2 of the boiling hops. Let boil 15 more minutes.

Add the dark malt and roasted barley. Boil 15 more minutes.

Add the last 1/4 of the boiling hops and the Irish Moss. Boil 13 more minutes.

Add the Flavor Hops. Boil for two more minutes.

Cool, Sparge immediately into fermenter, and pitch the yeast when it's about 80-degrees.

Well, you asked. ;)
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:24 pm

Skidsteer wrote:Well, you asked. ;)
well; yes i did! ;) :)

my favorite recipe for the same product is far less labour intensive.

find car keys.

start car.

drive car in one direction.

return in opposite direction.

park car in driveway.

park ass in easychair.

enjoy! :mrgreen:

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm going to give the "carne guisada" a try this coming week. What is the main purpose of the corn meal, thickening or flavor?

Skids is that a commercial recipe for the brew or one that you formulated over the years? I have a light pole in my back yard that I grew hops on for a few years until they started spreading all over the place. I was surprised how oily the hops were. Interesting plant. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:38 pm

zelph wrote:I'm going to give the "carne guisada" a try this coming week. What is the main purpose of the corn meal, thickening or flavor?

Skids is that a commercial recipe for the brew or one that you formulated over the years? I have a light pole in my back yard that I grew hops on for a few years until they started spreading all over the place. I was surprised how oily the hops were. Interesting plant. :D
It's a DIY for Goat Scrotum Ale, an old homebrewer's standard. Way too much work to brew but it's worth it to see the look on your Mother-in-Law's face when you tell her the name after she takes a big swig. :lol:
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 pm

When I get home Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll look up my recipes for Carne Guisada and Texas chili from The Lone Star Cookbook.
Skids

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:04 am

Skidsteer wrote:When I get home Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll look up my recipes for Carne Guisada and Texas chili from The Lone Star Cookbook.
we patiently await your homecoming! :mrgreen:

russb

Post by russb » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:33 am

That recipe looks good Darren. I like the smoked bacon idea. I will have to try that.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:40 am

DarenN wrote: after ten hours at 160*F it wasn't even close to dry. so i flipped it over onto the fine screens i have and took the parchment paper off. it's back in the dehydrater.
Daren.......
the problem i had with dehydrating this batch was my own fault. i put the parchment paper on the fruit leather trays when i should have used the fine screens under the paper. a second batch of three trays dried nicely in 8-9 hours.

Daren.....

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 pm

I went out in the storm yesterday and got the fixins, now to create :mrgreen: I'm just going to eat not dehydrate :D This is chili weather, eat some chili this week!!!!!!!!

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Chili joke :mrgreen:

A cowboy walks into a seedy cafe in Bozeman, Montana. He sits at the counter and notices an old cowboy with his arms folded staring blankly at a full bowl of Wyoming style chili.

After fifteen minutes of just sitting there staring at it, the young cowboy bravely asks the old cowpoke, 'If you ain't gonna eat that, mind if I do?'

The older cowboy slowly turns his head toward the young wrangler and in his best western cowboy manner says, 'Nah, you go ahead.'

Eagerly, the young cowboy reaches over and slides the bowl over to his place and starts spooning the chili in with delight. He gets nearly down to the bottom and notices a dead mouse in the chili. The sight was very shocking and he immediately barfs up the chili back into the bowl.

The old cowboy quietly says, 'Yep, that's as far as I got, too.'