backpacking cutting board?

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
irrationalsolutions

backpacking cutting board?

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:07 pm

where the wife works they have those thin plastic cutting boards. not really that much but they will roll up or pack flat against the back of the pack. i thought they would be good for a backpacking trip. so i told her to grab one or teo when they went on sale. well today i was out and about with the wife and we went to walmart and went back to the craft section to look at stencils for a project my mom is working on for my litle sister. we havent been able to find a stencil that she wants anywhere and walmart didnt have them either. well they did have a three pack of the stencil material. they are 7x10in sheets. so i picked them up and while i was pushing the cart and teh wife was looking at other things the light in my head came on. these are smaller than the other cutting boards. they also seem to be the same kind of stuff and are cheaper. i think i have found me a new cutting board for backpacking. i still want the bigger one when it goes on sale for when i take a fishing pole with me. the 7x10in sheet mak not be big enough if i catch a good bass but for everything else it will be fine. i dont know if anyone else has come across this stuff so i thought i would share the idea.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

oops56

Re: backpacking cutting board?

Post by oops56 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:48 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:where the wife works they have those thin plastic cutting boards. not really that much but they will roll up or pack flat against the back of the pack. i thought they would be good for a backpacking trip. so i told her to grab one or teo when they went on sale. well today i was out and about with the wife and we went to walmart and went back to the craft section to look at stencils for a project my mom is working on for my litle sister. we havent been able to find a stencil that she wants anywhere and walmart didnt have them either. well they did have a three pack of the stencil material. they are 7x10in sheets. so i picked them up and while i was pushing the cart and teh wife was looking at other things the light in my head came on. these are smaller than the other cutting boards. they also seem to be the same kind of stuff and are cheaper. i think i have found me a new cutting board for backpacking. i still want the bigger one when it goes on sale for when i take a fishing pole with me. the 7x10in sheet mak not be big enough if i catch a good bass but for everything else it will be fine. i dont know if anyone else has come across this stuff so i thought i would share the idea.
i think i saw them in the dollar store here the big ones i have a look monday
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:12 pm

For cleaning fish?..can I buy them 3' long? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:17 pm

we dont have many fish that size around here. the ones we do have i wouldnt try to catch them on a backpacking trip. but yes im sure you can find something that size.

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:20 pm

I use those thin cutting boards in my dehydrator. My shelves are square, not round; and those roll up cutting boards make good liners for fruit leathers and such.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:12 pm

i use a folding bowl. it unfolds flat for packing and use as a cutting board. it cleverly folds into a tri-cornered bowl. i'll try and find a link.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Irvingdog

Post by Irvingdog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:13 pm

I use the back side of my Orikaso plate, which is likely what DarenN was looking for.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Irvingdog wrote:I use the back side of my Orikaso plate, which is likely what DarenN was looking for.
that's the one!! here's a link:

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/detai ... o_solo.php

Daren..........

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:39 pm

they had a set on stesp and cheap one day i though about getting i think it was $9 for a double set. it pops up every now and then but i still dont know about it.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:09 pm

it's the double set that i have. it was a gift, but i've seen them in stores for over $20, so $9 would be a pretty good deal.