Most Gross

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
zelph

Most Gross

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:00 pm

What is the most gross tasting food item you have ever attempted to eat?

For me it was calves brains and duck blood soup. :shock:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Most Gross

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:00 am

A lady brought me is some of her home made Chittlin cassarole to try but being a butcher, I just could not get them past my lips----then there was the thick leafly vegetable that my wife fixed that she could not even eat
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:00 am

Tripe, my dad loves the stuff! I am never eating that. My mom got some cookies this one time and they tasted like chewing tobaco, GAG! To this day I can not eat green beans, they make me hurl as soon as I put them in my mouth! Got a green bean gag reflex and had it ever since I was a kid! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:35 am

Pure Mahem wrote:Tripe, my dad loves the stuff! I am never eating that. My mom got some cookies this one time and they tasted like chewing tobaco, GAG! To this day I can not eat green beans, they make me hurl as soon as I put them in my mouth! Got a green bean gag reflex and had it ever since I was a kid! :mrgreen:

My son got that same reflex with peas. In order to finish his peas he had to wrap them in a slice of bread, a few peas at a time. Three or four peas wrapped in a two inch piece of bread untill they were all gone. My wife and I talked recently how she fooled our twins when they were babys. Two spoons of pears and then one of creamed liver . The funniest faces I've ever seen when they tasted the liver :D :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:53 pm

I remember as a boy growing up, the kids always had to eat a portion of whatever was served, weather you liked it or not. After I was a teenager, the folk came up with the rule, you had to eat your age in quanity, ex. 12yr old--you ate 12 geen beans. That worked out good for my little sisters. When it came to cooked spinich, I just got a blob on the plate and I would put it in my mouth and swallow it whole and chase it down with mild. Still don't like "cooked" spinich. When I was about 7(before the age rule) I could not stand lima beans. I could chew them up but swore I could not swallow the "skins". I had to sit there until they were gone and remember gagging on them. Thought i was smart and loaded my mouth one time with the remander on my plate and then headed to the bathroom to gag them up. Low and behold, when i came back to the table, mom had spooned me out some more. I love them today.

The leafy vegetable I mentioned in my previous post was Artichokes. The way my wife fixed them made us all choke. I doubt if I ever eat those again unless prepared by a gourmet chef. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:57 pm

I remember years ago, we use to carry Oscar Mayer head chease. It was an 8oz. vac pak. They make it with some sort of gelatin. It is similar to Souse. It is made from all parts of the pigs head. We had some go outdated so ,what the hell, I though i would give it a try. Chewed it up and spit it in the bone barrell. I just couldn't bring myself to swallowing the stuff. I guess I prefer meat from solid muscle tissue. I have been known to grind deer hearts into my ground venison. I figure that it's just another muscle of sorts. I remember in college, I use to cut up beef hearts and feed my pirahna. They seemed to love it! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ridgerunner on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I remember years ago, we use to carry Oscar Mayer head chease. It was an 8oz. vac pak. They make it with some sort of gelatin. It is similar to Souse. It is made from all parts of the pigs head. We had some go outdated so ,what the hell, I though i would give it a try. Chewed it up and spit it in the bone barrell. I just couldn't bring myself to swallowing the stuff. I guess I prefer meat from solid muscle tissue. I have been known to grind deer hearts into my ground venison. I figure that it's just another muscle of sorts. I remember in cokkege, I use to cut up beef hearts and feed my pirahne. They seemed to love it! :lol: :lol:

My mother made Pigs Feet Jello. Made it in a casserole dish. There was enough geletin that cooked out of the feet to solidify the whole batch. Salted and a pinch of vinegar served cold was pretty darn good. (Like pickled pigs feet only better) Never could get past one headcheese sandwhich.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:01 am

Anyone like Limburger cheese ? Never ate it but did put it on the exhaust manifold of a fellow prangsters car. Boy, I bet his car stunk! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Which reminds me of the time my grandfather got in an argument in the woods with another hunter about who shot a deer. He was not one to start a fight but as he left the woods , he remembered a dead skunk in the road and retrieved it and placed in under the guys seat while he was still in the woods dressing the deer. You might say, I come by it naturally! :lol:

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:51 am

Beef heart and deer heart isn't bad you just got to cook it right. Like you said it's just another muscle but a tough one. the way we do it is to but it in the slowcooker/crock pot let it cook on low for 14 plus hours and turn it into a chili, soup or stew. after it all cooks down just grab the artery part with a fork and all the meat should have fallen right of the heart and throw that part out unless you feel adventurous, LOL! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Turtle2

Postby Turtle2 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:24 pm

I will preface this by saying I used to wreck dive in Lake Michigan. Well, a friend gave us a coho salmon taken (proudly) from Lake Michigan. It was about 2 ft long. I had a recipe for stuffing a whole salmon. After cooking it, I could not eat it. All I could smell was nasty Lake Michigan water and could not get a forkful of that near my lips. I threw most of it out to the cats. My husband couldn't understand why I couldn't eat it.

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”