Most Gross

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
oops56

Re: Most Gross

Post by oops56 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:03 pm

zelph wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:I grew up eating pork brains and scrambled eggs. It was just poor-folks Southern food. The cool thing is that us kids never knew we were poor. Gotta love M & D for that! :)
When the're mixed with scrambled eggs they taste good (especially with ketchup). The texture and thought of where they come from invokes the gag reflex. Just cant get myself to put em down.

Who likes ketchup on eggs?
Me and on cottage cheese
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:21 pm

Turtle2 wrote:I will preface this by saying I used to wreck dive in Lake Michigan. Well, a friend gave us a coho salmon taken (proudly) from Lake Michigan. It was about 2 ft long. I had a recipe for stuffing a whole salmon. After cooking it, I could not eat it. All I could smell was nasty Lake Michigan water and could not get a forkful of that near my lips. I threw most of it out to the cats. My husband couldn't understand why I couldn't eat it.
Of topic but I'm curious to know some of the interesting things you found while wreck diving :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Turtle2

Post by Turtle2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:17 pm

I found some brass (a handle to a steam valve), a large pewter spoon, wooden button, lots of "Christmas" Coca Cola bottles (Patent date 12/25/18) antique reel still attached to a 2 ft section of rod, a dead-eye with strap off a sailing ship that went down in the 1800s, lots of other bottles. So hard to remember, that was oh so many years ago, before the US salvage laws went into effect that say anything you bring up belongs to Uncle Sam. We were out diving a couple of times a week for a couple of years, Danny J had a boat and we'd go to Lake Michigan. In the winter we would ice dive in Phantom Lake, Devil's Lake, Lake Geneva, Lake Delevan and, yes, Pearl Lake. There were some fantastic finds in Lake Geneva in the winter. It was too dangerous to dive in the summer with all the boat traffic.

OK Back to your local broadcasting of MOST GROSS FOODS!

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:22 pm

Turtle2 wrote:I found some brass (a handle to a steam valve), a large pewter spoon, wooden button, lots of "Christmas" Coca Cola bottles (Patent date 12/25/18) antique reel still attached to a 2 ft section of rod, a dead-eye with strap off a sailing ship that went down in the 1800s, lots of other bottles. So hard to remember, that was oh so many years ago, before the US salvage laws went into effect that say anything you bring up belongs to Uncle Sam. We were out diving a couple of times a week for a couple of years, Danny J had a boat and we'd go to Lake Michigan. In the winter we would ice dive in Phantom Lake, Devil's Lake, Lake Geneva, Lake Delevan and, yes, Pearl Lake. There were some fantastic finds in Lake Geneva in the winter. It was too dangerous to dive in the summer with all the boat traffic.

OK Back to your local broadcasting of MOST GROSS FOODS!
I love treasure hunting and I know you do also. Those are some super finds. Once while fishing off the horseshoe pier at montrose harbor on Lake Michigan a diver surfaced and handed us two small tackle boxes and some other stuff. :D That was many years ago also. Same pier had a tidal wave/sunami go over it and caused some fishermen to drown. My fater and I were there just hours befor it happened. While we were fishing the water began to rise like we had never ever experienced it befor. Made my father very concerned and made us pack up and leave for home. Later in the evening on the news they anounced the freak occurance of what they called a SEIGE.

sarbar

Post by sarbar » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 pm

I ate cow tongue a LOT when I was growing up. We were dirt poor and the guy next door (back 40 distance) raised cows on his farm. He'd give my mom tons of parts when he slaughtered cows.

My mom also had plenty of weirdo friends that would bring over foods they found in other countries. Hence I have eaten many oddities. Dehydrated Octopus eyes were "interesting". I am also part Filipino - so you can drum up all the weird stuff I have eaten.

You eat when you are hungry. And you try to NOT think what you are eating.

I have to say this: I respected my mom over doing what she could with what she had. She had a lot of pride and didn't like letting others know when we had no food. That woman could make a meal out of nearly anything.

Having said that...while I am pretty adventurous in my diet I eat almost no meat now. We raised pigs for slaughter and that changed my view considerably as a kid. My dad was in the camp of "let the kid watch them kill the animal so they can see where their food comes from" . I ate as I was hungry but I never miss meat now.
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:59 am

Only on plain scrambled eggs. I would not want to ruin the flavor of a good omelet with ketchup. I would be like covering a good rib-eye with steak sauce. You taste the steak sauce and not the good expensive piece of beef. I like to enhance beef with seasonings and spices but not cover the flavor with sauces. Now, baby backribs is a different story! ;) :D :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

sarbar wrote:I ate cow tongue a LOT when I was growing up. We were dirt poor and the guy next door (back 40 distance) raised cows on his farm. He'd give my mom tons of parts when he slaughtered cows.

My mom also had plenty of weirdo friends that would bring over foods they found in other countries. Hence I have eaten many oddities. Dehydrated Octopus eyes were "interesting". I am also part Filipino - so you can drum up all the weird stuff I have eaten.

You eat when you are hungry. And you try to NOT think what you are eating.

I have to say this: I respected my mom over doing what she could with what she had. She had a lot of pride and didn't like letting others know when we had no food. That woman could make a meal out of nearly anything.

Having said that...while I am pretty adventurous in my diet I eat almost no meat now. We raised pigs for slaughter and that changed my view considerably as a kid. My dad was in the camp of "let the kid watch them kill the animal so they can see where their food comes from" . I ate as I was hungry but I never miss meat now.
I like tounge better than tripe. No calves brains for me though. Just as your mom could make a meal out of nearly anything it looks as though she taught you well. You seem to be able to season anything and make it taste sooooo gooood! Your freezer bag meals are awesome. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Only on plain scrambled eggs. I would not want to ruin the flavor of a good omelet with ketchup. I would be like covering a good rib-eye with steak sauce. You taste the steak sauce and not the good expensive piece of beef. I like to enhance beef with seasonings and spices but not cover the flavor with sauces. Now, baby backribs is a different story! ;) :D :lol:
I'm with you, no steak sauce on steaks.

sarbar

Post by sarbar » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:16 am

Lol...yep, I seemed to inherit the "casserole gene" from my mom :D My husband finds it scary at times how I can take a couple items out of the cupboard and somehow produce a tasty meal an hour later.
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:44 am

I can't stand the taste of any vegetable save for green beans and fried okra...But a close runner up was my wife's first attempt at cooking. She is now an excellent chef, but when we were first married I literally taught her how to boil water. After a while she became proficient at preparing hamburger helper meals. She then decided that she was a full blown cook and set out to make beef stroganoff using a "recipe" she found on the side of a box. She browned the hamburger meat, boiled the noodles, and then "added seasoning" which in her mind consisted of salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. I suppose she missed the "ingredients" portion. She apparently kept adding them hoping that it would magically taste like stroganoff. It did not. :lol: