New idea for safely transporting eggs on the trail

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
russb

Re: New idea for safely transporting eggs on the trail

Post by russb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:05 am

realityguy wrote:We have friends that have chickens and their eggshells are harder than store bought ones..must be their feed..
I am sure it is. Your friends chickens probably are able to eat bugs... their preferred diet and thus get plenty of calcium from the insect exoskeleton. These free range eggs taste better too. It IS all about their feed.

Coconut Andy

Post by Coconut Andy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 pm

zelph wrote:Find a store that sells eggs in the paper cartons. They are much stronger than the foam cartons. Buy the extra large brown eggs. They are the strongest. Goose eggs are the champions of eggs, get those and try them. Much better tasting than chicken eggs. I like eggs :D

Trans port eggs in a tube/tubes 3 eggs per tube. 3 eggs required for 1 meal. Protein is good for us, I like eggs. Use sturdy mailing tubes. Eggs are fragile when their sides are pressed. Try breaking an egg lengthwise(top to bottom) in the palm of your hands. It's very, very hard to do. Most folks can't do it.
I never thought of that, but you're absolutely right. If the eggs were stored end to end, you would only need to armor the sides to prevent squeezing them. Maybe a cut up wrapping paper roll with JB Weld around it? If you hadn't already guessed, I recently came upon a gross supply of JB Weld and have no idea what to do with it except smear it on my gear.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:49 pm

I have heard that backpackers have put eggs in shells, end-on-end, inside a Pringles can.

I haven't tried it.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 pm

I recently came upon a gross supply of JB Weld and have no idea what to do with it except smear it on my gear.
Ahhhhhhh, now we understand why!!!! :D

Sell some here and then on ebay. Might get some sales generated to buy some gear.

Make some molds to make your own plastic/rubber worms for bass fishing. :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 am

I took a commercial dzn. egg carton that i found at a yard sale on my recent hunting trip. we bought a dozen extra large brown eggs and I could not believe it when they fit perfect in the egg case. The best part is the case says "Made in the USA" ;) :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri May 06, 2011 8:39 am

Ever notice how free range chickens taste gamey? Eggs taste great. I like eggs :P

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri May 06, 2011 3:25 pm

I love brown eggs...richer in flavor ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 07, 2011 11:01 am

Ridgerunner wrote:I love brown eggs...richer in flavor ;)
I agree, much tastier and less expensive. Homeless folks need to be taught the value of eggs. They can be stored without refidgeration for 2 weeks. Plenty of time to consume them :)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:27 pm

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:I love brown eggs...richer in flavor ;)
I agree, much tastier and less expensive. Homeless folks need to be taught the value of eggs. They can be stored without refidgeration for 2 weeks. Plenty of time to consume them :)
store bout eggs are washed so to keep longer must lighty oil them cooking oil
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Good point oops. Farm fresh is better, right outta the chicken, no washing. Binladen had "free range" chicken eggs. Did you see the chicken in the yard in one of the videos they had on tv today?