Pan Bread and Muffins

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
Ridgerunner

Re: Pan Bread

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:51 pm

Ridgerunner, I'll look in the thrift store for the frying pan with the cone in the center. The cone has holes in it. It was a popular tv sales item 10 yrs ago. You'll remember, they are showing up now in the thrift stores, keep your eyes open. I purchase it if I can find it in the pile of pots and pans that I showed you in the thrif store movie.
Zelph, I've seen tons of the pans you are referring to in the local thrift stores. I'm thinking smaller for backpacking. I found a couple small bunt pans in the 8 inch range while thrifting. I'm trying to make one of those work.

Oops. those are some nice ovens you have aquired. Would the smaller one work for backpacking? What is the weight of it and how small does it break down to?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm

This was one of three that was high up on the pile:

It is 11 inches in diameter with somekind of insert for steaming somthing maybe. 2 bucks for the two pieces. Bought it just to show what I was refering to.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Ridgerunner, I'll look in the thrift store for the frying pan with the cone in the center. The cone has holes in it. It was a popular tv sales item 10 yrs ago. You'll remember, they are showing up now in the thrift stores, keep your eyes open. I purchase it if I can find it in the pile of pots and pans that I showed you in the thrif store movie.
Zelph, I've seen tons of the pans you are referring to in the local thrift stores. I'm thinking smaller for backpacking. I found a couple small bunt pans in the 8 inch range while thrifting. I'm trying to make one of those work.

Oops. those are some nice ovens you have aquired. Would the smaller one work for backpacking? What is the weight of it and how small does it break down to?
The small one is a flour can the legs fold up i guess you could fill can save space but just not good for long trips maybe two days or so.or car camping
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 pm

Zelph, we have lots of those pans in our thrift stores. Must have been a tv gimmick that did not"pan out". :lol: I had my nose on track for awhile and amassed the following thrift store wares in search for the perfect fit. You will see your jello mold on the top left. Ground the center to make hole. Now, to see if this smaller image thing works.

here are a couple more pics at regular size

The base fits are not perfect and the lid on the smaller one(I believe came from a mess kit) is the exact same diameter with rolled outward lips. Thought of using 2 small spring clips ---any ideas? The base on the smaller one is a little heavy and was a candle holder. Work in progress. :roll:

Bummer--thumbnail did not work for me.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Ridgerunner, what is the purpose of the base?

How will you support the oven to put the stove under it, just like any other pot, just put it on top of the stove? The flame going directly into the center hole? Is a tealite size burner appropriate for this size oven?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Ridgerunner, what is the purpose of the base?

How will you support the oven to put the stove under it, just like any other pot, just put it on top of the stove? The flame going directly into the center hole? Is a tealite size burner appropriate for this size oven?
The base allows the heat to travel up through the ceter hole to the top. Holes are around the edge of the top, allowing better control of temperature. The most important function of the base is that oven pan only touches the base on the edges therefore, the flame is not burning the bottom of your baked goods. It allows more even cooking using hot air. You will end up with 'browned" surfaces as opposed to cooking with steam as many backpack ovens do.
I believe my uncle uses his Whisperlite on the oven. Simmering is imortant, I would think, so that you maintain a constant temperature. The oven sits right on on your burner supports. A tealite stove would not sustain a long enough burn time to bake, I would suspect. A propane/butane stove works good also, I would suspect that the Turnsport alcohol stove would work also. I will guess that the Trangia backpacking stove would also work.
The Optimus Mini Oven is more along the size of the larger bunt pan. I am thinking that the smaller bunt pan might work with some of the alcohol stoves that have simmering abilities. I will try the Trangia with my small prototype and post the results later. ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:53 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
The base fits are not perfect and the lid on the smaller one(I believe came from a mess kit) is the exact same diameter with rolled outward lips. Thought of using 2 small spring clips ---any ideas? The base on the smaller one is a little heavy and was a candle holder. Work in progress. :roll:

Bummer--thumbnail did not work for me.
I'd try spring clips pop riveted to the lid.
During the 1970's Optimus marketed a camping Mini Oven, we have sourced the larger Camping Oven item in red rather than the original blue.
Using the 'dry pan' principle of hot air up the centre funnel, the pan can be used to bake your favorite food in the caravan, boat or on the campsite. You can even even bake a pie..!
Diameter 10", hight 5", weight 525gms
The pan I got from the thrift store was 11 inch dia. As stated in the above quote, Optimus gives a dia. of 10 inches for theirs. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some possible pot parts to make an oven out of it.

Try the thumbnail instructions that I posted in the General Discussion Forum.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:25 pm

I found these three pieces at the thrift store today. Cost: .86 cents

A 6.5' bundt pan with 2" in hole. Fits perfect into an aluminum bowl, leaving about 1" in bottom of bowl between bundt and bowl bottom.

Lid fits perfect with excess overhang that can be trimmed.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm

I found these three pieces at the thrift store today. Cost: .86 cents

A 6.5' bundt pan with 2" in hole. Fits perfect into an aluminum bowl, leaving about 1" in bottom of bowl between bundt and bowl bottom.

Lid fits perfect with excess overhang that can be trimmed.

Wow I can't believe you were able to find fitting parts so quickly. Nice lid. I like the 6.5" bunt pan for hiking purposes. I wonder about your heat shield deflector base. Instead of just fitting the bottom, yours comes all the way up the sides. Does it also have a hole to channel the heat up the center tube into the cooking chamber?I hope it works out. My uncle makes breads, cakes, muffins, and cobblers in his Mini Oven. Looks like I will bring this project up to the front burner :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Wow I can't believe you were able to find fitting parts so quickly. Nice lid. I like the 6.5" bunt pan for hiking purposes. I wonder about your heat shield deflector base. Instead of just fitting the bottom, yours comes all the way up the sides. Does it also have a hole to channel the heat up the center tube into the cooking chamber?I hope it works out. My uncle makes breads, cakes, muffins, and cobblers in his Mini Oven. Looks like I will bring this project up to the front burner :D
I have'nt cut the hole in the bowl yet.

Coming up the sides might help, I duno. I went one step further and cut the cone off the fry pan pictured earlier. I'll cut a hole in the aluminum bowl and affix the cone to the underside with some JB weld and maybe four pop rivets. I'll make sure the cone points inside the bowl :mrgreen: