Pan Bread and Muffins

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: Pan Bread and muffins

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm

zelph wrote:I used a Guatemlan recipe for "Flan" and it turned out great just like it would turn out if it were made in a regular oven. Everyone was impressed.

I used 1/2 ounce of HEET

The side of the mold were coated with carmelized sugar to prevent sticking of the pudding mix. I was impressed how that worked and I am learning alot about steam cooking. :D

The texture was creamy smooth and was yummy to the tummy

This is what it looked like right after removing the lid.

I made two batches last night and it turned out great again :D

Time to go through this thread again and do more easy baking.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Pan Bread and Muffins

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm

That's nice of you to save half for me... :mrgreen:

Looks good!Okay..where's the recipe?Martha's got it? :? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Yes, we want the recipe! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:53 pm

There are a couple different methods.I generally use a pudding ring pan(hole in the center) over a pie pan with another hole cut in the center the size of the stove with a lid to cover the pudding ring pan(Small holes drilled in it).The piepan with the holes allows heat to get to the bottom of the pudding ring pan to brown the bottom in the pan.The hole in the center of the pudding ring allows heat to get to the top to brown the top..The sides don't get very brown this way because they are pretty much exposed to the outside area beyond the pot.

Another method is a regular pot about 5" across with a metal potstand in the bottom..a very small amount of water(1/4") to get things heated up and preventing scorching..then I run it dry in "simmer mode"..but only use an outer stainless pot to eliminate it from warping out of shape.Inside I'll run flat aluminum pans with short sides for "cookies and brownies,or taller aluminum pans for muffins,cobbler,etc.. that are slightly smaller than the outer diameter pot..I do use some rocks or a "curtain hook" made potstand that will hold the pan approximately 1/2" above the bottom of the pot..Of course I use a lid and sometimes throw a small wire over the edge of the pot to allow a small amount of excess heat to escape.

You can scan through my photobucket and see the construction parts of the pudding ring setup or other pots,pans,baking stuff/ideas there.I don't remember if there are videos.When the blackberries and blueberries get ripe here..I go haywire with baking,even at home.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 pm

JT, I think you covered most of the methods we have tried. I introduced the link to the Optimus Oven that my uncle has been using for 30 years of more.http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Optimus/minioven.htm I refused to pay todays price for the oven and have gathered components at thrift stores that do a fine job. The oven works best with a stove that has simmering capabilities. There is another retail backpack oven or two on the market that also do fine jobs baking. We really got into the baking for a period of time on the board. This reminds me of a cooking/backing pot system I came up with but never really tested the baking part. Thanks for the reminder. I need to test it out and post my results! ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 pm

just tinkering wrote:What kind of pan is it on the bottom (steel, thick walled aluminum?). How well can you control the temperature?

Some people use a hybrid mode where they do a bulk of the baking with steam and then let the water run dry and finish the baking with direct heat (as above).

Does this summarize the thread? I know that a lot of the recipes will require trial and error to tune the system.

Thanks,
Jon

Yes, you did well on summerizing the thread.

I use the hybrid mode
Some people use a hybrid mode where they do a bulk of the baking with steam and then let the water run dry and finish the baking with direct heat

The stove I used was a StarLyte or Fancee Feest and 1 ounce of HEET. Just light it and let it burn out.

The bottom pan is heavy gauge aluminum.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Personally Jon(or anyone using a super stove or cobalt)..I'd hunt up an old 35mm Kodak film container,roll and stuff fiberglass cloth/insulation inside,and use that for a simmer stove..packed inside your other stove.Remove the cap,add about 3/4 oz alcohol(probably that much maxxed) and it should burn/bake/simmer for 45 minutes or so.If the heat seems to be too much,cut the center of the lid out for a smaller diameter burner.It's a nice small handy simmer mode stove you can pocket...I make jetted ones from those that'll boil water in 7-8 minutes.For that matter,as small as they are,it's easy to carry one jetted and one simmer..and still be super lightweight...
You will need a separate potstand if you use the cobalt or super stove..or do what I do and find a lightweight pan that has handles that rest on the windscreen...

On the other hand..you people using Zelph's stoves should get on his case about not having a nice matching simmer stove to sell you to fill the void... :mrgreen:

HINT! ;) ... :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:52 pm

While people were making monster size pepsi cans,I was doing the kodaks--->

(sorry..I've deleted the pictures and videos on the old thread(see kodak,homemade stoves),...emergency "full photobucket" deletions.... :roll:

Every once in awhile they come up on ebay at about .50-1.00 each in quantities of 5 to 10,cheap shipping(don't weigh anything)...They work well as jetted stoves with 8 jets and a 1/2" piece of aluminum conduit in the middle.
Back on topic:Diameter/height-wise..they should be just perfect for a long length simmer stove(40 mins?) just filled with rolled FC..
The lids aren't quite airtight(after a burn) so you really can't just leave fuel in them.It might work okay if you don't have the lid on while burning..melts the rubber seal...

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

On the other hand..you people using Zelph's stoves should get on his case about not having a nice matching simmer stove to sell you to fill the void... :mrgreen:

HINT! ;) ... :lol:

The Super Stoves simmer if you use the simmer attachment.

The StarLyte will simmer also.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Okay,I'll let you slide..I see the big hole down the middle and the thought of filling it with another stove intrigues me... :roll:

:lol:

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”