Pan Bread and Muffins

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
Pure Mahem

Re: Pan Bread

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 pm

I was just thinking. How necessary is the hole in the bottom of the pan? I've never used a pack pack oven so I don't know. But I was thinking couldn't you use 2 8x8" square disposable aluminum brownie pans, a smaller one of those pans that would fit inside wether it be square or round as long as it fit inside and then use soda can rings to raise the inside pan up off the bottom one or better yet rings from an aluminum beer bottle,maybe too heavy not sure. But, if the rings from a soda can would work I might be able to fold them so that they would all store away neatlly they would end up being more diamond shaped doing that though. Would this work? Only problem I see is that stuff would stick to the cook pan, might have to spray it or line it with parchment paper. Might be able to use my trangia on simmer for this don't know how much flame I would have to have to keep it at temp for baking. Only problem I see with it is the whole thing would crush easy in a pack....Still thinking might be able to use one of those plastic bon bon boxes from Aldi's. But, I'm not sure how big those are. If it worked I could pack my entire kitchen inside it or at least a lot of my food so it wouldn't be a complete waste of space. I'm liking this idea I gotta go shopping for some of those pans and try this sucker out. Know I'm thinking I could go way smaller like using one of the pie tins from those 50 cent snack pies and use even smaller pans for an oven if I can find them. Might even be able to make the outside oven from turkey pans and make the whole deal foldable. The wheels are turning on this it's really got me thinking. How big of a cook pan would I want to make a treat on the trail. enough for me and to maybe share or bag half of what I made for the next day while hiking I'm thinking 4"x4" and 1 1/2" to 2" deep. That size would make a nice little cake. Next question would be how much mix would one use half a jiffy mix or the whole thing, Not sure on this. HHHHMMMMMMM you really got me thinking now. I'm gonna first try this with some disposable pans if I can find the right sizes. If not I'll have to make some out of turkey roasting pans. What are your thoughts on this? Any ideas.

This opens up baking on the trail with out severe weight peanalties. Brownies, muffins, cake, cookies, and biscuits. Oh boy! Oh my gosh I wasn't even thinking PIZZA!
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 am

I found this mess kit at the thrift store today and two more 6.5 bunt pans. The bottom/fry pan part of the mess kit fits nicely on the bunt pans. Not all mess kits are the same size, heads up
Oh Master Zelph, I think you hit paydirt for a lid. I need to go to the storage building and see if I have one of those kits. If not, they show up at the thrifts periodically. By chance does the other half of the mess kit fit the bottom of the bundt pan? I suppose that would be asking too much. :lol: I liked your idea of finding a pan for the bottom, cutting a hole in the center and jb welding a riser in the center over the hole instead of finding the exact fitting piece with the same contours of the bundt pan. These ideas are coming together rather nicely. I picked up four mixes to test and a gallon of the denat'd Alky. Look forward to doing some more testing. On a side note, the Redhawks won both games this weekend but so did the Wolverines. They come to town in two weeks for a huge show down of #1 v.s. #2.

Oops, if you have a little more of that fine blackberry brandy, I'm sure that tripod will show up. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:34 am

I was just thinking. How necessary is the hole in the bottom of the pan? I've never used a pack pack oven so I don't know. But I was thinking couldn't you use 2 8x8" square disposable aluminum brownie pans, a smaller one of those pans that would fit inside wether it be square or round as long as it fit inside and then use soda can rings to raise the inside pan up off the bottom one or better yet rings from an aluminum beer bottle,maybe too heavy not sure. But, if the rings from a soda can would work I might be able to fold them so that they would all store away neatlly they would end up being more diamond shaped doing that though. Would this work? Only problem I see is that stuff would stick to the cook pan, might have to spray it or line it with parchment paper. Might be able to use my trangia on simmer for this don't know how much flame I would have to have to keep it at temp for baking. Only problem I see with it is the whole thing would crush easy in a pack....Still thinking might be able to use one of those plastic bon bon boxes from Aldi's. But, I'm not sure how big those are. If it worked I could pack my entire kitchen inside it or at least a lot of my food so it wouldn't be a complete waste of space. I'm liking this idea I gotta go shopping for some of those pans and try this sucker out. Know I'm thinking I could go way smaller like using one of the pie tins from those 50 cent snack pies and use even smaller pans for an oven if I can find them. Might even be able to make the outside oven from turkey pans and make the whole deal foldable. The wheels are turning on this it's really got me thinking. How big of a cook pan would I want to make a treat on the trail. enough for me and to maybe share or bag half of what I made for the next day while hiking I'm thinking 4"x4" and 1 1/2" to 2" deep. That size would make a nice little cake. Next question would be how much mix would one use half a jiffy mix or the whole thing, Not sure on this. HHHHMMMMMMM you really got me thinking now. I'm gonna first try this with some disposable pans if I can find the right sizes. If not I'll have to make some out of turkey roasting pans. What are your thoughts on this? Any ideas.

This opens up baking on the trail with out severe weight peanalties. Brownies, muffins, cake, cookies, and biscuits. Oh boy! Oh my gosh I wasn't even thinking PIZZA!
Pure Mahem, I see you have been drawn into the web. Turn those cogs. I like your idea of an even smaller setup. You would probably have to repackage your mixes to half amounts. Pizza sounds awesome!!!!! :D Using the 6 1/2 inch bundt pan is much smaller that the 10" Optimus mini oven that we are trying to emulate. With the hole in the center of the base and bundt pan , the possibility exist to even strap it to the oiutside of your pack. I will work to perfect Optimus copy while you make us proud and go one better by going smaller which just nailed a :idea: in the ol' memory banks. I have seen even smaller bundt looking pans at the thrift stores that I believe are jello molds. Now you've done it PM ! I will keep an eye out for material to go smaller while perfecting the present project. I just love how we feed off each others ideas. Keep us posted on your findings Pure Mahem :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:58 pm

Here are some photos of previous baking and poaching trials:

The Sheba cat food can is in the forst few pics. They show how it fits on top of a Heineken pot so you can poach an egg or make a buiscut.

The others show how I modified a 1 egg poacher into an oven and coffee perkolator for those of you that like fresh perked coffee on the trails :D

The last few are of an oven made from a new 1 gallon paint can. I used it in a bake-off on the Rocks' site (I won ;) )

The very last photo is of a muffler that I was going to use as a heat exchanger inside the can. When I saw it as I was entering it it made me think it could be a possible starting place to create a "Borde Bombe" :geek: :ugeek: Hint to all stovies :D Get the wheels aturnin!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Oops!!!!!!!Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:06 pm

zelph wrote:Here are some photos of previous baking and poaching trials:

The Sheba cat food can is in the forst few pics. They show how it fits on top of a Heineken pot so you can poach an egg or make a buiscut.

The others show how I modified a 1 egg poacher into an oven and coffee perkolator for those of you that like fresh perked coffee on the trails :D

The last few are of an oven made from a new 1 gallon paint can. I used it in a bake-off on the Rocks' site (I won ;) )

The very last photo is of a muffler that I was going to use as a heat exchanger inside the can. When I saw it as I was entering it it made me think it could be a possible starting place to create a "Borde Bombe" :geek: :ugeek: Hint to all stovies :D Get the wheels aturnin!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Oops!!!!!!!Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I got my bakeing goods today ready to go just got to get of my butt it be late tonight
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 pm

OK we did it or not had to much in pan took some that why it looks bad so have a good laugh i did :lol: :lol: This going on the shelf try with a trangia next coming soon Oh them are the led lights 2 on background two on camera

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:04 am

Tried the new little oven again with a Blueberry Muffin mix. The results went well. I am using a small Trangia with a simmer ring. I used one ounce of denatured Alky and let it simmer for 30 minutes until it started to brown on top. Rather than risk burning the bottom, I removed it from the flame which was still going strong with fuel still visible in the resevoir. Here are some pics.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

mmmmmmm mmmmmmm good :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Tried the new little oven again with a Blueberry Muffin mix. The results went well.mmmmmmm mmmmmmm good :D
What would happen if you did'nt use the bottom plate? It looks like the simmer flame does'nt touch the bottom plate.

I baked two Betty Crocker Bunt Muffin Rings to day using the bundt pan and unmodified bowl. I decided to try baking with the two pieces befor cutting a hole in the bowl.

I used the Bluberry mix and the Poppyseed Lemon mix. The texture of the latter was more dense than the blueberry.

I used a Starlyte burner with 1 ounce of Heet(I left in haste to go up into Minnetsota left home w/o my denatured. :| The burner burned for 10 min and went out. I let the oven sit ontop of the burner for an additional 20 min. letting it continue to bake on it's lattent heat.

I put 1/2 cup of water into the bowl that the bundt pan nestles into. A double boiler with an open center. I raised the lid off the rim of the oven using 1/8 inch thick pieces of aluminum foil to let steam escape. I used margerin to coat the inside of the bunt pan, the muffin rings came out without any assist. Turned the pan upside down on a plate and gave it downward tthrust kinda motion and out it came.

They turned out so well I decided not to cut a hole into the bowl and use direct flame like you are using.

I took photos but am not able to post via the public library
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Zelph, by using moist heat, were you still able to get the muffin ring to brown on the outside ? There are devices that elevate your bake goods inside, say, a grease pot, high enough to add a 1/4 inch of water or so to the bottom of the pot but by using the moisture, it does not brown the baked good. it will cook thouroughly but the surface will be very moist, unlike baking in a oven. Pure Mayhem got me thinking, so after work, I hit the thrift stores today and found a couple tins that one will fit in the other one. I was thinking of putting the lid of the smaller tin inside the bottom of the larger tin and letting the smaller tin sit on its lid inside the larger tin. Then, put the lid on the lager tin and drill a few holes around the top for venting. I might also drill a few holes in the lid which sits inside so the heat disperses a little more evenly. Some holes may be drilled around the outer portions of the bottom of the larger tin to all more heat to come up into the oven chamber. If this works, you could make bite size muffins, if you so choose, and cooking time would probably be alot less. :lol:

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, by using moist heat, were you still able to get the muffin ring to brown on the outside ? There are devices that elevate your bake goods inside, say, a grease pot, high enough to add a 1/4 inch of water or so to the bottom of the pot but by using the moisture, it does not brown the baked good. it will cook thouroughly but the surface will be very moist, unlike baking in a oven. Pure Mayhem got me thinking, so after work, I hit the thrift stores today and found a couple tins that one will fit in the other one. I was thinking of putting the lid of the smaller tin inside the bottom of the larger tin and letting the smaller tin sit on its lid inside the larger tin. Then, put the lid on the lager tin and drill a few holes around the top for venting. I might also drill a few holes in the lid which sits inside so the heat disperses a little more evenly. Some holes may be drilled around the outer portions of the bottom of the larger tin to all more heat to come up into the oven chamber. If this works, you could make bite size muffins, if you so choose, and cooking time would probably be alot less. :lol:
Ridgerunner i put up a viedo how i was doing it not right so i got a better way late to night will post