Banks Fry Bake

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
ConnieD

Banks Fry Bake

Postby ConnieD » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 am

I may have posted this one before, now.

I like the Bank's Fry Bake because it is a lightweight Dutch Oven.

I also use his method, except I use my simmer Fancee Feest w/lid.

I also have used a "twiggy fire". It seems his top fire may be too much.

I was taught Dutch Oven cookery uses coals on the lid, not another fire.

For that reason, I prefer to use my Bank's Fry Bake in the ashes of a small campfire, pulling over the number of coals I want to use. I was taught to guage the heat for baking by the number of coals under and on top of the Dutch Oven.

For hiking-backpacking, I really like using the simmer fancy feest w/lid because it keeps the bottom of the pan quite clean and there is less chance of warping the bottom pan. It all does need to slip into a carrying case.

I find the thermometer, sold separately, for the Backpacker's Pantry Oven Bake works very well. I do not drill a hole. I set it on the lid. I sometimes use their Pot Parka, as well, especially if I am camping because I do much more camp cooking when camping.

Banks Fry Bake also offers a deep dish bottom pan, I guess, for Chicago Deep Dish Pizza or a thick pan bread.

Scones?

Each component is sold separately at Banks Fry Bake, and, they also sell cosmetic "seconds".

ConnieD

Re: Banks Fry Bake

Postby ConnieD » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:19 am

Here is the webpage for Banks FryBake
https://frybake.com/products/

The intention of the Banks FryBake is enjoying Dutch Oven cookery while backpacking.

Because the components are sold individually, I have considered using a GSI Pinnacle 8" Frypan
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-8-frypan.html

This is a combination I would consider for camping.

I like the locking handle.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:42 pm

I really like the lightweight Dutch Oven concept. I have an old pot that is similar in size and shape that I have used for baking on a woodstove. I hadnt thought of using it in the coals. Im sure a little practice would help get the heat level just right. I also use that same thermometer from that old baking kit.
Thanks for Posting!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:06 am

Interesting post. The wheels are turning. Thanks for sharing ConnieD ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:11 am

Thanks Connie, it's good to have options :D Just last night I tried using a "modified" stainless steel veggie steamer basket as a charcoal stove. It needs more

modification, has to have added height added to the 3 support legs(3/8" ) There is an old thread here at bplite that shows the original idea as a wood burner.

I'll see if I can post a link to it. The basket can be used to start the charcoal on fire and then easily remove the ones needed to place onto the lid of the oven

baker and let the ones needed stay in the basket. I like the cleanliness of charcoal and it can be used in some areas where "fire bans" are in place.

I used a modified Starlyte burner(no absorbing material) ;) under the basket to fire up the charcoal. It doesn't take much alchy to get the coals going as long as the draft in the basket is sufficient. Oh boy! fires like oxygen :mrgreen:

I have to hunt up that link.......................
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”