Soot and Creosote Removal

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
zelph

Soot and Creosote Removal

Post by zelph » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:35 pm

An easy way to remove burned on soot/creosote is to use liquid chafing fuel. Many stores carry it for using under food warming trays. Use a shallow dish/pan, pour enough in to cover the bottom of the pot that needs to be cleaned. Let it soak for 5 min and then start scrubbing lightly with a quality paper towel or whatever your choice may be. Repeat process as needed. Sides of pot should be moistened with the chafing fuel as well when soaking the bottom of pot. This stuff is amazing for cleaning campfire pots.

I accidently spilled some during a testing session onto the surface of the tray that I use to contain my tests. It found its way under a pot that you see in the photo. I went wipe it off and was amazed how it softned up the creosote. I continued to clean the entire pot. Welcome to the world of accidental science.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Midway Sam

Re: Soot and Creosote Removal

Post by Midway Sam » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:04 am

Nice tip. This would have gotten me out of the doghouse that time I snuck SWMBO's good stock pot out on a Cub Scout campout and returned it blackened. :oops:
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. ~ William Francis Redmond

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:11 pm

Midway Sam wrote:Nice tip. This would have gotten me out of the doghouse that time I snuck SWMBO's good stock pot out on a Cub Scout campout and returned it blackened. :oops:
Buy a can of the fuel, sneak the pot out again next time you go out, use it dirty hard and clean it with your new found cleaner. Sneak it back in. If you get caught, blame it on me :D .

Turtle2

Post by Turtle2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

Does anyone still rub liquid dish soap on the bottom of the pot prior to placing on the fire? We did this in my dad's Scout troop (before I was kicked out for being a girl-eons ago) and the soot came right off when washed. I don't know that I would do this on a bp trip but car camping I wouldn't do without.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:41 pm

Turtle2 wrote:Does anyone still rub liquid dish soap on the bottom of the pot prior to placing on the fire? We did this in my dad's Scout troop (before I was kicked out for being a girl-eons ago) and the soot came right off when washed. I don't know that I would do this on a bp trip but car camping I wouldn't do without.
If you put the soap on before you leave for a section hike, cook all thru the hike without washing, come home and then wash it, do you think it would come as easily or do you think it would get baked/cooked on?

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm

I got some pots black as ace spades i just wipe some off just leave the hard bake on makes heating up pot faster. Most of my pots are painted with bbQ hi heat paint black
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 pm

oops56 wrote:I got some pots black as ace spades i just wipe some off just leave the hard bake on makes heating up pot faster. Most of my pots are painted with bbQ hi heat paint black
Painting the outside of your pot black will not transfere heat as well as a non painted surface.

It's "Urban Legend" oops!!!!! somebody just thought just because black objects absorb heat from the suns rays they applied that to alcohol stoves. They did'nt know any better!!! That guy that makes them little jet stoves up in your neck of the woods fell for that legend also. He started painting his stoves black and selling something about emissivity. He fell for that "Urban Legend" also. He's a hoot!!!! :)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Well my car gets snow on it and it melts its green and a white car beside mine will not as much.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:32 pm

oops56 wrote:Well my car gets snow on it and it melts its green and a white car beside mine will not as much.
The infra red rays are absorbed by black, white reflects them away.

Infrared heat is not the heat that we work with when using alcohol stoves.

Tony, help me out here :)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:34 pm

Well lets put it this way hot is hot even if you cant see it but you can feel. and taste it hot pepper.Also their is a big ball of fire in the sky you can see it feel it. Must be them UFOs run on inferred. :idea: :idea: