Tick and Mosquito Protection

Some of our favorites!!!!
zelph

Re: Tick and Mosquito Protection

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I have a 1/6" gap between my 2 front teeth that might work in a pinch. Wonder how they taste. :o :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 pm

zelph wrote:I have a 1/6" gap between my 2 front teeth that might work in a pinch. Wonder how they taste. :o :mrgreen:

I want video proof of you spinning around with a tick in your teeth :DP:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:28 pm

If he takes an infected tick in his teeth, his head might be spinning around and throwing up at the same time.

:geek:

After getting that engorged tick off a dog, I sterilized the OTOM. In fact, I am thinking of having two sets, one for pets and one for me.

ggarris

Postby ggarris » Thu May 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Here is another possible method of removing ticks:

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!

"Apply a blob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently, and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me."

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu May 26, 2011 4:30 pm

ggarris wrote:Here is another possible method of removing ticks:

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!

"Apply a blob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently, and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me."

Both of those items might be in a hikers backpack. Good find.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 26, 2011 7:21 pm

I think i remember the liquid soap method may cause the tick to regurgitate under your skin before pulling out. You might want to check into that method before using.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Double-check!!!!

I first became interested in this topic, when I was living in Missoula, MT.

As kids, we were told to stay out of the Bitteroot Mountains because the ticks there carried Rocky Mountain Spotted fever for which there was no cure. My mom said she and dad checked for ticks every day, even close-in to Missoula, and that was years ago.

I became seriously interested in the subject, again, when someone on another forum said he and his dad were sick, his dad seriously ill. He reported his dad had difficulty walking, and, he would not be doing much more hiking. Also, he described Altzheimer's-like symptoms but the diagnosis was Lyme's Disease.

That really got my attention.

I met a lady who had Lyme's Disease. It crippled her.

I wear somewhat loose-fitting bicycle tights with elastic at the ankles, or, mountain climbing pants with zippers are the ankles for a close-fit. I also wear elastic gaiters, like simBLISSity stretch gaiters. I wear a long sleeve shirt, vented with mesh like a fishing shirt if hot weather. I have a mock-turtleneck collar on my jackets. I wear a hat.

I have the OTOM.

If I got a tick somewhere I could not reach, I suppose I would use liquid dish soap on a cotton ball. Next, I would get to an ER for a prescription.

I would rather avoid getting a tick.

I know many people, but not here in Montana, who think it is "no big deal". They are WRONG.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 26, 2011 11:10 pm

The tiny deer tick is hard to see. The wood tick is easy to see. Make sure you have a little card with you showing the difference in the 2. Good to have a visual reminder so you can ID them.
Attachments
DeerVersusDogTick-100x100.jpg
DeerVersusDogTick-100x100.jpg (4.58 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Fri May 27, 2011 9:38 am

Most of the ticks I've seen lately have in fact been the deer tick. Not good at all. My dad and grandfather seem to agree that it's due to them no longer doing controlled burns. I have no idea how true this is. Still, be careful out there folks.

I'm with Connie, I'd rather avoid a tick all together.

I've used Deet in the past. It seems to work keeping them off of you. However, now that I'm a little older I do worry about the chemicals and such. Permethrin causes the same concerns for me. I'm sure it works well, I just kinda hesitate when talking putting a pesticide on my skin. I've recently come across a natural repellant in South Carolina. I forget the name, but it basically has tea tree oil and several other ingredients. It smells strong, but nice and works VERY well for mosquitoes. I would like to find a tick to use for experimentation to see if he would avoid an area sprayed with this stuff.

I've heard that tea tree oil (alone) can be used the same as the liquid soap method. Again, no personal testing so this is all second hand knowledge.

Anyway, I'll look at the name and post it on here.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Fri May 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Name is Evada-bug. HAH!

Anyway, ingredients are:
Soybean oil, Distilled water, Alcohol, Neem, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Citronella, Tea tree, Patchouli, Geranium, Palmarosa, Rosemary.

Works well for mosquitoes. Yet to be tested on ticks.

Return to “Articles”