Video Article about world wide hiking

Some of our favorites!!!!
sudden

Video Article about world wide hiking

Postby sudden » Tue May 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Found this on vimeo. Not sure how to link a vimeo video so here's the link.

http://vimeo.com/10113658
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Re: Video Article about world wide hiking

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 08, 2012 2:50 pm

The Point It book looks very helpful.

I made up my own book of words for food in restaurants and to ask questions for directions.

I like the "used" backpack idea!

I was told to bring four stamps with some natural picture of insects, trees, birds, whatever from the corner of the stamp sheet. I ask for them at USPS. I put them in little glassine envelopes. I was told in mainland China this is better than a bribe. Offer choice of one or two for help getting the train ticket, for example, put them all on the countertop and say, Choose two. If not so important, give one of your own choice. It seems practically everyone has a relative who collects stamps and stamps with pictures or drawings or paintings of natural subjects are welcome.

In Tibet, I was told to give UVA/UVB sunglasses or ballpoint pens.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

I stayed in a small countryside motel in Norway once upon a time. The barkeep and maid were husband and wife that traveled the world by backpacking/hitch hiking and working in motels as a means of support while making their way from country to country. Sounds like the "life" maybe
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri May 11, 2012 10:08 am

Her advice about taking pictures from home is excellent advice.

An experienced traveler told me to do that and to keep a journal. Excellent advice.

My photos and postcards from my own region were well received, particularly by curious locals and homesick travelers, one homesick traveler wept to see a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. One curious local loved the photo of the garden. I think most people I met are really interested to know about you.

My experienced traveler friends said, if you can stay out of your home country two months, you are likely a good world traveler. I managed a month, and I got that stranger-in-a-strange-land syndrome. I can't think of the name of it. It is where everything is unfamiliar. I mean everything, even the trees, the plants and the grass. I didn't speak the language. That is a big part of the problem, if it is a problem for you. It was for me. But, then, everything was unfamiliar.

When travelers get this problem, they sit in american hotels staring at english language newspapers or hold Pepsi Cola cans a very long time, looking at it. I didn't do any of that, but I was so glad to get into an Irish-owner Bed and Breakfast back in UK, have a hot bath, wash my hair, and get on the very next jet plane home. I am not a good world traveler.

Now I live near resort destinations, so I can meet the world travelers right here at home.

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri May 11, 2012 4:12 pm

ConnieD wrote:Her advice about taking pictures from home is excellent advice.

An experienced traveler told me to do that and to keep a journal. Excellent advice.

My photos and postcards from my own region were well received, particularly by curious locals and homesick travelers, one homesick traveler wept to see a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. One curious local loved the photo of the garden. I think most people I met are really interested to know about you.

My experienced traveler friends said, if you can stay out of your home country two months, you are likely a good world traveler. I managed a month, and I got that stranger-in-a-strange-land syndrome. I can't think of the name of it. It is where everything is unfamiliar. I mean everything, even the trees, the plants and the grass. I didn't speak the language. That is a big part of the problem, if it is a problem for you. It was for me. But, then, everything was unfamiliar.

When travelers get this problem, they sit in american hotels staring at english language newspapers or hold Pepsi Cola cans a very long time, looking at it. I didn't do any of that, but I was so glad to get into an Irish-owner Bed and Breakfast back in UK, have a hot bath, wash my hair, and get on the very next jet plane home. I am not a good world traveler.

Now I live near resort destinations, so I can meet the world travelers right here at home.

I got that way when I was in England for 3 months. The problem for me was not having another non-local person to talk to about all the incredible sights I was seeing. To the locals, and this is true anywhere, they were just everyday things. To me, seeing a building that was constructed over a period of 600 years was mind blowing but I had nobody to share that with.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Sudden, were you staying in a friends home or in a hotel?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri May 11, 2012 11:18 pm

I felt like you did, in England. I was at Wantage, Berkshire. I was at the convent.

I saw buildings repaired, with skills, like the original. The original was hundreds of years old, all slate and cut stones with solid wood window frames.

I chatted with Lady (something) about her garden. (I don't give away names.) I had no one to share that experience.

Everything I did was an adventure. How do I share that experience?

Getting there, thru Iceland during the Cod War was a unique experience. All travelers, all military and all civilians, were put up at the NATO base. Going over to France, and back, on the boat-train. France.

Travel is great stuff! I am just not a traveler.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 am

zelph wrote:Sudden, were you staying in a friends home or in a hotel?

In a hotel in England then with family in Germany. Germany was a whole different experience because of that.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat May 12, 2012 11:22 am

I stayed with a family in France, not my family. I appreciated their hospitality. It was a good visit.

I got "culture shock" in France. That is the expression I couldn't recall. Everything was good. True, I was struggling with language differences. The open hostility of individuals in Paris was most unwelcome. Who liberated their country? They must have. Anyway, open hostility contributed to a sense of alienation. Fortunately, I got out of the city to western France.

The surprise was the culture shock hit, in western France. I was enjoying everything, but everything was so different.

I realised, then, I was not a good traveler.

I really like my home: I really feel connected to the land there.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 am

ConnieD wrote: Who liberated their country? They must have.

They might resent the fact that we forget who helped us defeat England to win our independence. I'd say we're even.

Return to “Articles”