pawn shop find

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
irrationalsolutions

pawn shop find

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 pm

i dont know if this fits the thrift store theme but its used gear. i had a doc appt the other day down town and stoped buy a pawn store. there is an army surplus store a couple blocks away but there prices are way too high. they wanted $70 of a army poncho and $35 for the non military verson and its not even made out of ripstop. well this pawn shop also sells used military gear and some new surplus gear. i picked up a us army issue poncho used for $14.50 and a new canteen for $7.95. i didnt really want the canteen i just wanted the cup. the new cups were $6.95 but i got the whole set (canteen, canteen cup, and holder) for a dollar more. before you say it i know the army canteen isnt the best choice to take with me but its what i like to use. it is a little heavy and only holds a quart but the canteen cup is stainless steel and i can use it over a wood stove on in a fire and it fits back into the cover and doesnt get my pack sooty and dirty. now i have two complete canteen set-ups. the only reason i wanted a new cup is the other one is broke a little. the handle is the two piece thing that folds out and has the little bar the is on one side so the other side doesnt pas through. well the little bar broke off my old one and i dont have my weilder right now (its in storage). my dad is going to let me use his weilder this weekend when i go down there. after that i will have both in great working order. the only problem with the poncho is the fact that its a little dirty but all i have to do is use a damp sponge and it should be fine.

while on this subject does anyone know where i can get a military wool blanket (the grey ones) in good condiction cheap? i have one but its in great condition. i got it issued to me brand new when i was in the navy and only used it on my bed then and still use it on my bed in the winter so i dont want to take it out into the bush. i would like to have a couple more, one for me and one for the wife while camping.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Vibe

Re: pawn shop find

Postby Vibe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Not military issue, but Harbor Freight has wool blankets on sale occasionally.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

hoz

Postby hoz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Check Sportsmansguide.com, they have an HQ division that sells surplus. Might not be US surplus though.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Gee! they have some wool blankets here at really decent prices.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:34 am

I've heard they have a really good deal on Italian Wool Blankets on Cheaper Than Dirt .com But be warey you get more than you pay for with the moth ball smell. One guy in finland is haveing a regular night mare with his as it won't get warm enough for him to air it out for another 4 months and washing does not seem to remove the odor. Others have comented that these blankets are really heavy and good quality and the mothball smell does come out if you let it hang outside to air for a week or so. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:I've heard they have a really good deal on Italian Wool Blankets on Cheaper Than Dirt .com But be warey you get more than you pay for with the moth ball smell. One guy in finland is haveing a regular night mare with his as it won't get warm enough for him to air it out for another 4 months and washing does not seem to remove the odor. Others have comented that these blankets are really heavy and good quality and the mothball smell does come out if you let it hang outside to air for a week or so. :mrgreen:

Moths really do "Love" wool for dinner,breakfast and for snacks. My military ones have been enjoyed by a few moths, glad they don't eat much :lol:

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 pm

ok guy i need some help with thisarmy poncho. i took a damp sponge and wiped down both sides of it and i came mostly clean so doing it a second time i think would get the rest of the dirt spots off it. the problem i have is a smell. i cant say what it smells like but wiping it down didnt seem to help at all. so does anyone have any ideas on what to use on it or a better way to clean it?

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Get a bottle of Febreze and spray it down with that. That should get rid of the smell. Buy it at grocery stores, kmarts etc.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:38 pm

i thought about that but i wasnt sure if it would mess up the ripstop sil-nylon its made of. are you sure it wont hurt it?

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i thought about that but i wasnt sure if it would mess up the ripstop sil-nylon its made of. are you sure it wont hurt it?

The only thing I'm sure about is Taxes and Death

You thought about it and so did I. Great minds think alike :D

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained :o

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”