pawn shop find

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
DarenN

Re: pawn shop find

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:49 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i thought about that but i wasnt sure if it would mess up the ripstop sil-nylon its made of. are you sure it wont hurt it?

try it on a bottom corner. i don't think it will hurt it though.

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 pm

thanks i will give it a try tomorrow.

just to let it do known i'm not a real poncho person. i just like the versitility of one and it seems like it might be a good way to not have to worry about a pack cover. so next chance i to hike in the rain i'll give an update.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:09 am

IR, I will be interested to see how the fabreeze worked for you. I have a vintage North Face A-frame type tent that I bought at a yard sale for a song. It too had some soiled spots on the inside that gave the oder of :?: pamegean cheese :roll: I wiped it down with a soap and bleach solution(i think) and let it air out for a week. It took "most" of the soiled spots out(my guess is mold) but the nasty cheese smell remained. Grrrr. It must be permeated into the fibers. I never thought of trying Fabreeze. I want a full report ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:23 am

i found an empty bottle here at the house so i have to get more. as soon as i do and have a chance to test first i'll let you know.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:53 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i found an empty bottle here at the house so i have to get more. as soon as i do and have a chance to test first i'll let you know.

Just stopped by here to see if you've used the Fabreze product yet.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 pm

no i was at the store the other day and forgot to get it. the store was walmart and since i had just gotten out of there i wasnt about to go back in for one thing that i didnt need reight away. i do need to go back though so i'll try to remember. the funny thing is that i just went in for that and i stopped by the fabric section first. that got me side tracked. i found the material i was looking for. the price did go up to $1.50 a yard and it is only 60" wide. but i got two pieces one 9yds the other 6yds. they were the same grey ripstop sil-nylon. the last stuff i got wasnt ripstop. i think it was a good find.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:28 am

You might also try rubbing some baking soda into the areas that smell and then folding the whole thing up and let it sit some where for a week or so then just take it out side and give it a good shaking and see if the odor is still there. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:03 pm

Tent city has been put back into storage except for the North Face tent. Last night, I took a bowl of 2 cups warm water, 2 cups white distilled vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of Clorox bleach and sponged down the entire inside of the tent liberally. There was alot more of the white mold dots on the inside floor. This morning before I left for work, I Fabreezed the inside thouroughly and let it air out today as we are having a nice breezy day. When I got home today, to my surprise, the parmagean cheese odor was totally gone and it did not even have a strong Fabreeze smell. There are still some white dots on the floor but hopefully the mold is dead. This is the first time this tent has not stunk ! :DP: :DB: :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:53 pm

WhoooHooo....2 days in the heat and still no bad odor. I think the "mixture" did the trick. I'll pack it away for a month or two and then bring it back out to make the "final" judgement ! ;)

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:46 am

it sounds like you are having fun with all this! :D

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”