Rare find for the day!Frostline Down Bag!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Rare find for the day!Frostline Down Bag!

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:36 pm

This are VERY uncommon thing anywhere these days..late 70s or early 80s Frostline down sleeping bag..weighs in at 5lbs.has the inner flap over the zippers and some small tabs inside..maybe for a liner? Clean in and out!
Frostline(google) had stores(some around here) and sold down clothing kits back in those days.I don't think I've ever seen a Frostline "Bag" but still have a down ski jacket and down vest made for me by relatives way back then..Unfortunately they are mediums..and I'm not any more because of my 12 pack abs and years of construction work.
Bag fits me nice at 5-7(up to about 6'),185,kinda broad in the body :DB: WooHoo!

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: Rare find for the day!Frostline Down Bag!

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:42 pm

good for you. :D :DB:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm

I've decided great used finds on backpacking gear is dependent on your location. Living in Seattle, you are just lucky. Here in the Midwest all I see is big, heavy cook kits (usually missing pieces), off brand worn out heavy car camping tents (again usually missing pieces), and heavy (Coleman and it's ilk) sleeping bags.

Great find on the Frostline. Wife #1 made me a down vest in the early 70's from them. She also made herself a down jacket as I remember. Who knows where they are today...

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Last year I found a down bed spread, twin bed size, $2.00. Used it last fall car camping. Totally light weight and warm.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 pm

I still have these things although they don't fit anymore(medium),used for skiing.The jacket has the snow skirt/shield inside.it was too hot for wearing around town si didn't get used much..Not bad shape but need some cleaning..mostly from dust dropping on them in the closet.Those were made for me about 1980-81..

There's still a lot of down clothing that shows up in this area on a daily basis.As far as Frostline,I don't see very much of that,maybe 5-10 pieces per year with almost daily shopping and never bags!This is the first Frostline bag I've seen in 10 solid years of shopping the stores,but I didn't really make a solid effort for bags until recently.
Looking more at the website..the "Broomfield,CO" label might make it as old as 1975 or so.I don't know when they moved to "Denver"(stage 3)after that.My later stuff rom 1980 says Denver.
My best find ever in a down bag..was a Cocoon IV..Everest special that retailed about $1200-1500.It was an inflatable down bag that inflated into its own "tent" and practically indestructible.I'll hunt up a picture and post it here.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Check this thing out!

This had an ungodly temperature rating like from 70 degrees down to -40 farenheit!You could just inflate the bottom and use the top as a comforter or inflate the enitire thing which kind of made a Cocoon of course.. :lol: I never did get a serious chance to use it.A big bin came out at Goodwill 7 or 8 years ago.I thought it was a comforter so grabbed it..at $12.
They had an interesting website with a lot of testimonials by owners.One was about hooking the thing to the back of a hovercraft and taking off across the tundra with a person inside.They said he did get a little wet but they think it was just perspiration. :DB: .They also tore a small piece off but theing was still inflated.I bet you could literally camp "on the lake" with it.
After a couple years of sitting on it,I sold it for $300 to a local rafting guide.Apparently he had one and his wife didn't;pretty pissed off about their sleeping arangement so he had to get her one also.
I don't know where I would ever have used it.I didn't get the air plugs with it but they were pretty close to sevylor raft ones.He was going to have some aluminum ones made up for the bag,the last I heard from him...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Originally sold for 1200.00 and you got it for 12. That's gotta be the best bargain that I've heard of comming out of a thrift store. You are definately "King Shopper" you've gotten some of the greatest deals ever. You shop daily, so you get first pick as they come out on the shelves, even befor that I suspect. You get them as the store personnel are carrying it to the shelves :D

Smart shopper you are!!!! :mrgreen:

A small llama would be necessary to carry the Everest Igloo or a dog team on the Ididerod :o

Thanks for sharing your interesting finds, really nice stuff.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Forgot to mention the bag weighs 10+lbs because of the materials and all the down in the airchambers..not quite ultralight... but you wouldn't need a tent or pad! :lol: ..real comfy for sleeping on!
They were using them for the Iditorod and Everest(some of the testimonials at the website.. and it has tie-offs on the outside for "extreme slopes").
The biggest problems were the accessories were all about $100 EACH for the matching down hood,bag liner,bug screen,etc..I couldn't even afford those at the time..I was just a poor ebayer.
One or two of the stores,a buddy and I volunteered while we were there to help put stuff away.The problem was we were too fast and there was always employees that ran out of things to do.So they stopped that...
Things have changed..the pickings are not so good anymore.Most stores themselves are ebaying the good stuff. Today I needed a side cutter can opener so went around the corner to see what I could find.I got one for 49 cents and also a digital gram scale(goes to 5lbs) for $3..kind of pricey,but I needed them!.. :lol:
This one cuts the entire metal ring off the top but I can make do with that..I'll stick something on the edge,tubing or one of those bracelet things.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:15 am

The only good gear item outside of clothing that I have found at the thrift store is a hart weiss down sleeping bag for 8$ it's too small for me but fits my son great!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:The only good gear item outside of clothing that I have found at the thrift store is a hart weiss down sleeping bag for 8$ it's too small for me but fits my son great!

You gotta go every day like realityguy :D

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”