Scores of the day!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Re: Scores of the day!

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:49 pm

Whitewashed is better than being SKUNKED !!! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 pm

This should explain everything for you...Image

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:41 am

Thank You for the macros, I can see clearly now!!!!! (the rain must fall or something or other :) )
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am

zelph wrote:Thank You for the macros, I can see clearly now!!!!! (the rain must fall or something or other :) )

Oh MAN! one of the greats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:
zelph wrote:Thank You for the macros, I can see clearly now!!!!! (the rain must fall or something or other :) )

Oh MAN! one of the greats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w

LOL..Well that takes me back..I remember that song CLEARLY..it was no. 1 on the charts when I was a long haired hippy driving my baby blue 1957 Volkswagen van(with flower curtains AND 36 screaming horsepower!!) from Los Angeles to Seattle in fall of 1971,smoking doobies on the way.It played on the radio at about every 100 miles!I drove mostly at night to keep the engine from overheating,drafting behind semis so I could keep up to 60 when I had one around,until they left me in the dust.
Anyway,one morning about 7am ,I got into a town in Northern California called "Weed",just below Mt. Shasta..thinking.."well this must be cool;probably more long haired hippies running the place!".I stopped in a small cafe that was open,only to discover they had an 'L' shaped counter with three ugly rednecks on one side..and I ended up on the other by myself.I ordered my bacon and eggs and coffee..which came shortly.That was the first time ,I've ever had burnt eggs,burnt bacon,and burnt toast all at the same time.Since the other good ol' boys were still drinking the coffee,that was okay.I ate my breakfast,left a small tip and left,didn't say a word and haven't been back to Weed since.
The only other real "highlight" of the trip was driving in the wee hours of the morning along curvy 101 through the redwoods north of San Francisco..after another 2am doobie.I came around a bend in the highway and some semi had dropped an entire pallet of 5 gallon buckets of contact cement on the road.Needless to say,it's the only time I've ever had or even seen a Volkswagen van going sideways at 50+ miles an hour.After coming to a shaky stop(me,not the van),I continued on my way thanking my lucky stars that before I left I had cut out the wheel wells and installed a wide set of G60 tires on the rear of the thing,otherwise I think it would have been a goner.
After I pulled over and slept a few hours,the next morning ,I got out..and didn't feel so lucky.The tire edges that were sticking out beyond the van had slung large sprays of the contact cement up the sides of the van that did a good job of peeling off the new clear coat with it when it was pulled off.
"it's gonna be a bright,bright sunshiney day". :lol: .Interesting trip...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:08 pm

And..today's scores were okay..an S200 Bluett butane cartridge stove and 48 yards of taffeta nylon(brown/shades of green,I had bought the rest before)at half off..and a little tiny flyreel(1-1/2" across with a nice light clicker!) for a couple bucks..
Someone had bought the Imasu grease pot..oh well...
I figure if I get one stove a day for the next year or two,I might catch up with oops..if he stops collectin'... ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:40 pm

I've ever had burnt eggs,burnt bacon,and burnt toast all at the same time.Since the other good ol' boys were still drinking the coffee,that was okay.I ate my breakfast,left a small tip and left,didn't say a word and haven't been back to Weed since.

The guy in the kitchen had weed for breakfast and snacks. "Weed" got it's name from the town folks that made weed their goto pastime :lol: My wife just recently said their was a big movement of yuppies, hippies and others tired of the establishment up to the state of Washington and that is why you get such a good variety of good stuff at the resale stores. She thinks they are still migrating up there. When they findout life is not all that different up there they dump their camping gear for a few bucks bus fare back to mom and dads place. :lol: Thanks for sharing your trip back in time.
The contact cement probably is what kept you on the road :lol:

Today I picked up 6 large cans of jelled alcohol for a buck and 1 new, quality excercise mat High density, 1/4" thick,ribbed, non skid type material for a buck. It looked like the 60$ type my daughter bought last year for floor excercises. A quality insulating pad for hammock hangers :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm

The $.99 cent potstand..is it worth making one? :lol: ..couple cheap carabiners for maybe a ridge line for a hammock..or attach stuff to a backpack..150lbs..They were 50 cents.I thought the reel was pretty nice..actually has a real fine clicker drag against a gear inside...I think the reel was a buck..no name,no place it's from..real precision for it's size!The body and the spool are machined from solid pieces..brass bushing in the center with a spanner type finished nut on the outside..about 1-7/8 across and 13/16" thick..58 grams...
I flyfish a lot,mostly salmon and steelhead..this isn't a toy!It's well made!

I forgot..I also got two sets of boat racks for guttered vehicles..one clamp on and a yakima set with locks..Fishing season is coming so they sell good locally this time of year.Should be worth $100 or better for the two!That makes up for the crap I bought for me!... :lol:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:44 pm

looks like a "camping-gaz" stove. canisters for it are available at REI. a lady kayaker that i know (from your area RG) brought some up north of the border for me.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Let the yard sales begin !!! I was out of town this past weekend and upon returning home, I noticed a family sized camp pot\kitchen sitting at my front door. I knew it had to be a gift from Stumpjumper. I have one of the 4 person kitchens similar to this one but this one has slanted sides to the frying pan\lid. I thought, :idea: I hope it has a coffee pot/kettle in it. I noticed the lid had a piece of masking tape that said $3, so it was a good buy regardless. When I opened it up, I was elated to see a new Trangia 27 cook set inside. :DP: :DB: :DP: :DB: :DP: :DB: Thanks, Stumpjumper. He knows how muck I like stoves. :lol: :lol:

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”