Another tent...Model?

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Another tent...Model?

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Okay..anybody seen this one before?I vcan't seem to find a model name.1-2 man,3 season, 3-1/2lbs packed,nice aluminum poles,4 stakes necessary(but has 6)

Thrift store find..guess I'll have to open up a museum site of old tent/bag gear!... :lol: This one has one 1/2" hole down by the center pole stake point(3" up on the side)and the zippers both need fixing..and needs some cleaning on the white..otherwise okay.
It's not a spitfire..don't think it's a gossamer..something previous and in between maybe...???
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: Another tent...Model?

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:17 pm

i've seen something like this before but i cant remember what it was.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 pm

It's shaped and sized almost identical to the EW Moonwing,probably 80s I figure..It is a Eureka,if it doesn't show that well,branded on the tent and the fly.I think the Spitfire is pointed on the ends and not squared off.I've heard the Gossamer is lower more like the Solitaire.Those two might be the same.
I saw the nice poles and stakes and bought it for that,the rest was just a big compressed ball of nylon and fly.We've had rain and snowtoday,finally got a little clearing with 25-30 mile gusts,so I set it up to check it out and see what I really bought.I bought another possible car camper,probably a large dome.If the weather holds,I'll set that one up.I bought that for its metal poles,still don't know the brand,style,or anything...but had nice poles! :lol: ..Probably a crappy coleman.....
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 am

wow, it looks like an almost exact copy of the Sierra Designs clip flashlight

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:02 am

Looks big enough for your cat and a couple of her buddies :D

Nice find, I'm tempted many times to purchase the tents just for the poles just as you are :o

It does look like the Mister Krabs version.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Postby hoz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:23 pm

I have this same tent. I bought it in the late 70's or early 80's as a cheaper option to the Sierra Designs model.

I have used it all over in all conditions and besides needing to stake it it's a great little tent.

I THINK it was sold as a bicycle camping tent but don't remember.

Mine has a cream and burgundy body with a gray/green fly.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Room for the cat and a couple buddies.. :lol: ..She's my 16lb "cooncat"!If I set up any tents,that one makes it her business to check them over(no spray of course)....she gets along great with raccoons;they seem to think she's one of them and ignore her.We get coons through the yard once or twice a month.My cats usually just sit on the deck rails and watch them.The other cat is bigger.
The tent does look like the clip flashlight(and that Moonwing),I think a Kelty "something" ,and a lot of other ones that are similar..but it's branded as eureka on the tent AND fly..that's why I was hoping someone had a model name.One small hang tag says "lightweight" and that's it...???
I thought I grabbed the wrong other tent because the extra poles I got were fiberglass..turned out to be a cheap dome about like an REI Half Dome with a crappy tiny fly(4-1/2lbs,2lbs of poles..what was I thinking?).I went back and they had one more that was worse..but I did find almost 100 Yards(96 yards,20lbs worth) of 2oz and 3oz coated nylon and taffetta in brown and about three shades of greens for $26..WOOHOO! :DP: Made it worth the trip!..I left a few big bags...I think the rest was all 3oz taffeta,good for floors(Hammocks?)..I tested it over water,seems to be all waterproof or resistant,nothing coming through..At least 25 Yards is the lighter stuff.Most remnants were around 5yards with 3-4 at 8-10 yards..about 6 at 2-3 yards.I guess i'll have to get some tent plans together..or make a couple hammocks.
Hammock lovers(Daren..IR..others)..what weight cloth is the main portion of the hammock?I'll have to check the specs on this for strength.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Every........time.........you........turn........around!!!!! you're getting a good deal on something.

I shake my head in wonderment :lol: :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Zelph..I do spend a lot more time looking than others because it's a business for me.As I said,it's a matter of timing and years spent in the past knowing where,when to look for what.I do put in my time and do have bad days..like today..all I got today was some hole saws(1-1/2" and 4-1/2"),some countersink bits,a rollei camera,some stovie junk,and a large fly for some big tent but dark green and lightweight(big enough for a hammock!..$2)..Everything was $2 or less but the camera...Bad day! :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 pm

I do put in my time and do have bad days..like today..all I got today was some hole saws(1-1/2" and 4-1/2"),some countersink bits,a rollei camera,some stovie junk,and a large fly for some big tent but dark green and lightweight(big enough for a hammock!..$2)..Everything was $2 or less but the camera...Bad day!

Very funny!!!!!! :DBfire:

Bad Day :roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”