Rare Find !

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Rare Find !

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:23 pm

I returned from my hunting trip to find a treasure the ol' Stumpjumper picked up for me at the thrift store this week. We rarely find backpacking gear let alone rare items like this. I've never seen one and if Oops doesn't have one, then I know it is very rare here in the USA. This is a French backpacking lantern: Tournus Le Grand Tetras with the glass globe marked: pyrex france. It is missing the hanging bail but should be simple to fabricate. Cost: 99cents :D :DP:

ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Re: Rare Find !

Postby oops56 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I returned from my hunting trip to find a treasure the ol' Stumpjumper picked up for me at the thrift store this week. We rarely find backpacking gear let alone rare items like this. I've never seen one and if Oops doesn't have one, then I know it is very rare here in the USA. This is a French backpacking lantern: Tournus Le Grand Tetras with the glass globe marked: pyrex france. It is missing the hanging bail but should be simple to fabricate. Cost: 99cents :D :DP:

ImageImage

Why Why to you do this to me :lol: :lol:got mine many moons ago

Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Oops, your da MAN !!!! still tops on my list ! :D Help me out with the bail. Is it a chain or a rectangular folded wire that might seat in the slot of the screw in the bottom of the candle holder when closed ? Darn dial up will not let me open your photobucket link....keeps hanging up :evil:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Oops, your da MAN !!!! still tops on my list ! :D Help me out with the bail. Is it a chain or a rectangular folded wire that might seat in the slot of the screw in the bottom of the candle holder when closed ? Darn dial up will not let me open your photobucket link....keeps hanging up :evil:

A small link chain about 10 in long a small s hook in lantern and big s hook at top there should be a spring in there for the candle to be pushed up as it burns

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Wow, really nice find Stumpjumper. Your one heck of a pal to send it RR way.

What are the dimensions approx. A hole in the bottom for the candle? I don't think there's a stove made that oops does'nt have :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:00 pm

oops56 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Oops, your da MAN !!!! still tops on my list ! :D Help me out with the bail. Is it a chain or a rectangular folded wire that might seat in the slot of the screw in the bottom of the candle holder when closed ? Darn dial up will not let me open your photobucket link....keeps hanging up :evil:

A small link chain about 10 in long a small s hook in lantern and big s hook at top there should be a spring in there for the candle to be pushed up as it burns

Does chain just hang outside when compressed for storage?

Candle is smaller in diameter than Uco candle lantern, Zelph. and yes, spring fed. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:09 pm

There are some good close-up photos on ebay of one that is for buy it now;

Candle Lantern on Ebay
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
oops56 wrote:

Does chain just hang outside when compressed for storage?

Candle is smaller in diameter than Uco candle lantern, Zelph. and yes, spring fed. ;)

just stay out out side chain

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:24 pm

zelph wrote:There are some good close-up photos on ebay of one that is for buy it now;

Candle Lantern on Ebay

I saw that one earlier tonight. never seen one in my life anywhere and here, Oops has one and there is one on ebay....go figure. Ebay one has different decal(whats left of it) :roll:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
zelph wrote:There are some good close-up photos on ebay of one that is for buy it now;

Candle Lantern on Ebay

I saw that one earlier tonight. never seen one in my life anywhere and here, Oops has one and there is one on ebay....go figure. Ebay one has different decal(whats left of it) :roll:

Wow hi price and he not got the candle holder in right should be down lower

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”