Okay..once in a while the swap meet pans out!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Re: Okay..once in a while the swap meet pans out!

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 pm

realityguy wrote:I'll be leaving town in the morning for my other house on the peninsula..Of course on the way..I have to pass three thrift stores I haven't been to for a few months.(drool).. :mrgreen:

You may have to add an extra day to get there. You'll get hung up in those shops and you'll lose track of time :DP:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 03, 2009 9:19 pm

You may have to add an extra day to get there. You'll get hung up in those shops and you'll lose track of time

Well..I've learned to go by them pretty quick..
*Got a copy of Professional FlyTying and Lure Making by George Herter(1969 ed)89 cents!
*a small kerosene lantern or candle like setup..small brass tank with a filler cap,about 3/8-1/2" diameter wick(no wick)..has a knob that raises and lowers the wickguard..hey it was only a buck and a half!
*a Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 ,3 season tent(no poles) for $5,approximately 5x7 3-poled wider a-frame..nice fly/tarp/tent!I need to see if I can google a picture of it to see what I need for poles..door at each end..maybe 4 season...
*and another tent "fly" only.."columbus or columbia?" in a bag for $2...pretty unique dome shape with venting on it,two zippers..add a floor,poles, and it's a lightweight single wall tent...
*A bunch of tupperware type containers(I needed some up there)49-59 cents
*I also got two sixpack camping plastic egg carriers out of the free box..

:mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Not a bad haul today...Got a Coleman Peak 1 400 with the bag,wrench,and paperwork for $5(still has fuel and fired right up!),the mini fishing pole set for $5 on the "fishing thread",and a butane mini torch(size of a lighter) for $3.
I found a backpack the people hadn't even unloaded!..so I helped them out( :lol:) by getting the peak 1..I felt so guilty after she said $5 that I bought an unused full set of the EV campware for another $5.I felt too guilty and didn't get the nice REI brand new FAK for $3..Darn..why am I so honest?! :cry:

I also got another older type of heattab "wing" stove in the box with a bunch of heattabs for $2..turned out to be another good day out there! :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 09, 2009 10:36 pm

are these swap meets the same as a flea market ? Nice aquisitions ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 09, 2009 10:58 pm

same thing..usually the rrgulars sellers hit everybody new and grab all the good stuff before the place opens.I've been fortunate to be able to find some goodies before they snagged them.As I said today,I found a lousy looking pack that actually was still full of stuff..all of it pretty new and got the Peak 1 and the EV ware.That other guy was just unloading.These weren't regular sellers there.
I've been usually pretty disgusted over the last few years and walked out of there empty handed 95% of the time.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 11, 2009 10:19 pm

West of the Mississippi they are swapmeets :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 11, 2009 10:40 pm

We must not have as many fleas as you people back east... :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 12, 2009 9:46 am

realityguy wrote:

We must not have as many fleas as you people back east... :mrgreen:

So thats how it works!!! :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Swap meet= every saturday and sunday(April 1st-October 1.. I think) at one local drive-in theater...$15 for sellers and $1 for buyers 9am to 3-4 pm(?).Early buyers can pay a premium($probably 10) to get in earlier than 9am...
..But we can't sell fleas without the dog attached... :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 12, 2009 10:41 pm

drive-in theaters? Another great nostagiac icon that are slowly becoming extinct just like the confectionary soda fountain parlors. I think they are on the endangered list. :( We used to have 6 in the cincinnati area and now there is just one in Hamilton. Great memories as a kid and especially as a teenager! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”