Down filled comforter/quilt

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Down filled comforter/quilt

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:52 pm

This was bought this spring for $1.00 at a thrift store. It is 100% goose down filled. It's of a size to fit a twin size bed.

It needs to be re-sewn. The down has been migrating from one square to another. It's the way it was made. The ruler shows where the seams are and how they are spaced. I bought it to salvage the down to make a quilt. I have not weighed it.

I had it dry cleaned at a cost of 25.00.

I'll use it this week while camping.

Just another item to look for when shopping to save bucks.

What's the difference between a comforter and a quilt???

Image I've always been told never machine wash a down filled item. Why do you think that is, what is scientifically happening if it is machine washed that makes it BAD??
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Down filled comforter/quilt

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 pm

I bought a down quilted blanket for a twin bed that is real comfy. I was going to sew a footbox in it and an use it camping but I just got a good deal on a Marmot down bag and the quilt looks good on the bed. I heard that the washing machines agitator is what will beat your down up and possibly cause it to clump to certain areas. You should be ok, if you use a front loading washer. The other thing is to use special cleaner for down garmets. I just use my Sports Wash detergent that is made for hunting gear and specifically says for down clothing. I think I read that regular detergent will break down the oils in the down.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I bought a down quilted blanket for a twin bed that is real comfy. I was going to sew a footbox in it and an use it camping but I just got a good deal on a Marmot down bag and the quilt looks good on the bed. I heard that the washing machines agitator is what will beat your down up and possibly cause it to clump to certain areas. You should be ok, if you use a front loading washer. The other thing is to use special cleaner for down garmets. I just use my Sports Wash detergent that is made for hunting gear and specifically says for down clothing. I think I read that regular detergent will break down the oils in the down.

Since my original posting I was given a verbal explanation of wht you read about regular detergent breaking down the oils that coat/make up the down fibers. Last week I used my down bag when it dropped down to 28 degrees and I was toasty. down rocks!!!!!

I'm going to redistribute the down in the quilt and sew new, continuous sections/rows. Going to make more narrow also.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:01 am

I agree with the front loader works fine. To keep it from clumping when drying, Throw half a dozen tennis balls in with it when drying, it comes out perfect. Use new clean tennis balls I've two containers of tennis balls I only use for this type of thing, works good for jackets, quilts, pillows and sleeping bags too! If the tennis balls start to look old and worn give em to the dog to play with and buy another tube or two. I usually end up replacing them every six months or so just because my dog steals them every once in a while, LOL! :mrgreen:

The tennis balls also work good for redistributing down in a quilt, or such item. just throw it in the dryer on no heat or fluff and it will redistribute the down and some what cancel the migration effect. Also helps to rotate the direction your comforter lies in once a week too! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:33 am

Pure Mahem wrote:I agree with the front loader works fine. To keep it from clumping when drying, Throw half a dozen tennis balls in with it when drying, it comes out perfect. Use new clean tennis balls I've two containers of tennis balls I only use for this type of thing, works good for jackets, quilts, pillows and sleeping bags too! If the tennis balls start to look old and worn give em to the dog to play with and buy another tube or two. I usually end up replacing them every six months or so just because my dog steals them every once in a while, LOL! :mrgreen:

The tennis balls also work good for redistributing down in a quilt, or such item. just throw it in the dryer on no heat or fluff and it will redistribute the down and some what cancel the migration effect. Also helps to rotate the direction your comforter lies in once a week too! :mrgreen:

My wife uses a pair of teenis shoes!!!!! Hmmmmmmm, wonder if she misread what she was suppose to use. blondes would probably use tennis rackets :D I hope none of you are married to a blonde. If you are I retract my joke. It's just a joke, lighten up :D My wife is a red head, same jokes apply to her( shhh!don't let her know I said that)

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:07 pm

"the redheads get madder about the jokes than the blondes do, probably because the blonde didn't get it" lol :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:27 am

Pure Mahem wrote:"the redheads get madder about the jokes than the blondes do, probably because the blonde didn't get it" lol :mrgreen:

Good one!!!!! It's true :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:02 am

A pair of clean tennis shoes do work just as good as the tennis balls. ;) Down does rock !! I'm surprised at how well my thin down blankets keeps me warm on cold nights.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:09 am

Ridgerunner wrote:A pair of clean tennis shoes do work just as good as the tennis balls. ;) Down does rock !! I'm surprised at how well my thin down blankets keeps me warm on cold nights.

It is amazing how well they retain heat and are super lightweight. Also there is something special about using natural fibers in products that we use. gives a feeling of closeness, being one with nature. Zen-odized

Nightwalker

Postby Nightwalker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:46 am

Absolutely true about front-loaders working well. I've used a down bag since late '04, and it has been washed 3-4 times per year with no problems.

I also use the "3 tennis ball" trick while drying. I use 25 cents (8 minutes) at the laundromat on medium heat, then 50 cents on low heat, and it's perfectly dry without being over-done.

At home, on the few occasions that I've dried it here, I start from scratch with low heat, still using the 3 tennis balls.

I like the laundromat dryers because they're so much bigger.
Just Hike!

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”