Okay..one more goodie..

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Okay..one more goodie..

Postby realityguy » Fri May 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Took me three attempts hitting thrift stores in the junkie town up by my peninsula house but I did get lucky.Just goes to show even smaller towns come through with goodies once in a while!

REI GORE-TEX BIVY in almost new looking condition!Unfortunately I didn't get a bug screen but it does have a hood that buttons into the collar and a larger zipper below for getting in and out of the thing..SCORE!I might even have to try Bivy camping! :DB:
I don't think it will be too hard to make a bug screen that snaps on the collar snaps... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Okay..one more goodie..

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 am

Took me three attempts hitting thrift stores in the junkie town up by my peninsula house but I did get lucky.Just goes to show even smaller towns come through with goodies once in a while!

GeeWhizz!!! boy, I'll say!!!!! and you say there were 3 stores in the junkie town, wow, easy pickins :D

Looks like an easy online sale item.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:21 am

Well..that was three attempts at the three stores(two are REAL junkers)so figure 9 stores for one goodie.I did get a piepan,pudding ring,and potlid for $2.25 total to put together a baking setup for the alcohol stove..figured I'd give it a try..seems to work but I used pancake mix...didn't burn it.
I cut a 2" hole or so in the bottom of the piepan,cutsome 1/2" slices on the edges of the hole so I could bend up an additional 1/2" of the piepan as a heat deflector ..then drilled some additional holes in the pot lid for excess heat to escape..seems to wrok but it didn't brown the pancake micx very well..I've gotta fiddle with it some more..and different recipes.
I also got a book called "Go Light"..for lightweight camping specifically along the Eastern US(Appalachian Trail)..dated 1980... :lol: .It names(models) a lot of the good older lightweight gear..Especially packs(and weights of them),boots,tents,stoves and cookware..even "new" GORE-TEX clothing..Thinsulate..ultrex,etc..Kind of talks about the old "new" technology.Gave me something to read up there...kind of a "history" book of lightweight camping.I think "Bob Wilson(?) wrote it..???..left it up there in my "library". :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:45 am

Yesterday was terrible at the thrift stores!All I got was a new looking,full length, orange Thermorest..for $2... :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:53 am

I did get a piepan,pudding ring,and potlid for $2.25 total to put together a baking setup for the alcohol stove..figured I'd give it a try..seems to work but I used pancake mix...didn't burn it.

Baking in the jello molds are really fun :D Did you get a pudding mold, the one with the locking lid, or was it a jello mold? Muffin mixes are my favorite :mrgreen: Meat loafs are my wifes favorite. She allows me to cook in the house with HEET and the no spill Starlyte stove. Just think of it, 1 ounce of fuel compared to having the oven on for whatever time it takes to bake muffins in the oven. Great way to save energy in the summer months.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Jello mold for 69 cents,piepan for 69 cents,and pot lid for 69 cents I figure a couple bucks for experimenting is okay..that's my new $2 thermorest under it...Yes,it was inflated when i got it.. :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Inflated thermorest, don't that beat all :D

Looks like aan 8" jello mold, I use the smaller ones. RR has used the hole in the middle pie pan system with success. Keep us posted on your tests.

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”