Good day.. more goodies!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Good day.. more goodies!

Postby realityguy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Got a peak one canister lantern that's never been used(no canister),a SMC Alpine model 30" ice ax..never been used and the supreme goodie.. is a Lamson Velocity 1.5 fly reel with an extra spool,a couple neoprene cases,and two fly lines..probably worth a good $200+... :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :o :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Good day.. more goodies!

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 pm

realityguy wrote:probably worth a good $200+... :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :o :mrgreen:

Nice haul, hope you can turn your money quick. Try going back to ebay.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Try going back to ebay.

:lol: ..no thanks..I don't mind ebay..but paypal is as crooked as a puppy's peter... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 pm

another good day for you. send some of those people that are dropping hte stuff off my way. :D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:13 pm

Not a very good day...got a UCO candle in brass..a flint/steel/charcloth firestarter set.. and a 32" shower stall base(needed that)..for a grand total of $15...Oh well.
I forgot..an EverNew angled cup and a BOKER(Argentina) camp silverware set that has a built-on tiny salt and pepper shakers..that's pretty cool...so add another dollar :mrgreen: ..

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:48 pm

realityguy wrote:Not a very good day...got a UCO candle in brass..a flint/steel/charcloth firestarter set.. and a 32" shower stall base(needed that)..for a grand total of $15...Oh well.
I forgot..an EverNew angled cup and a BOKER(Argentina) camp silverware set that has a built-on tiny salt and pepper shakers..that's pretty cool...so add another dollar :mrgreen: ..

Let me know about the candle. As far as ebay...don't accept paypal.....cash, Money Order, Cashiers Check, Certified check, even a personal check(ship once it clears) but NO paypal !!! :lol: Darn ebay does it's best to get every penny it can from the seller. They should go after the sellers with stores that are processing large volumes per week as opposed to the little guy with a few items per week. :evil: Azzzholes!!! I hate their hidden bidder names now. I like to know who I am bidding against. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm

:evil: Azzzholes!!! I hate their hidden bidder names now. I like to know who I am bidding against. :roll:

Heck..you already know who you are bidding against..the seller for one.Ebay has made it impossible to tell about any shilling going on there...100% coverup for any fraud that makes them more money.They've actually come out in the chats and said that "the chance of a second chance offer being a fake one is greater than the chance of it being real"...but..they back up their new hidden format "to protect second chance offers"..Poppycock!It's to protect their almighty dollar!Sellers and buyers they aren't concerned with or they'd go ahead and fix the problems by eliminating second chance offers and going back to an honest format!(*stepping down from the soapbox*)... :evil:
UCO..believe me,RR,I've been seriously looking for the things.I might keep this one..think it's lighter and smaller than the other one.I'll have to compare them ...and the paint won't chip off like the newer green one.. I can put up with a little tarnish.. :mrgreen:
The newer ones take a 1-3/16" diameter candle ONLY they make..I don't like that! I may have to make my own candle mold..or find a can the right diameter to make my own candles...

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:16 pm

The brass is the same as the newer ones.Only difference is the bail is bent slightly different at the top.
For Uco owners..Hmm..Why couldn't a person use the center candle portion(ducttape the side slots)as a candle mold?..seems logical!Duct tape the side slots and the top hole.. support it top side down(red bull can?) and the open end up..stick in a wick first of course(with the end under the duct tape at the top)..and pour away with the wax.A little heat on the sides over a candle should pop the candle right out of the mold!
Sure beats paying $15 for about 8 candles... :o .. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm

You could use some "fine play sand" to make sand molds using the original candle that you have. Just push it down into the moistened sand as many times as you want candles.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 pm

The inside aluminum liner is the exact size needed for the candle..can't see any reason NOT to use it for the candle mold.. a little heat to that aluminum and it'll slide right out of there just the perfect size and smooth on all sides.The spring on the bottom pushes a bottom plate keeping the candle to the top.I imagine it should fit pretty snug or you may have wax dripping all over the place and getting into the works.I'm not too sure I'd want sand wearing on the parts either..just a thought.It would probably work fine with a sand mold..I just think I'd want mine smoother...
Depending on how much a person uses it..You may only need a couple candles as far as stock on hand.
I mentioned to RR in an email that I bought a box of "emergency candles" that are about 3/4-1" diameter that I could stuff down the center and just add wax around the perimeter to "fill the void" of the larger mold..should work fine.I paid $1 for a box of 8 or 10 candles.On the outer layer,I can add citronella or whatever,just melt down other candles in a pan over an alky stove and pour them in .I can get candles for dirt cheap around here..just can't find a box of the premade UCO ones...
My hiking will be 3-4 day stuff..doubt if I ever use an entire candle.I could also buy fatter ones,chuck them in the metal lathe,and make a dandy mess.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”