Good day.. more goodies!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Re: Good day.. more goodies!

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 pm

RG, I'm sure you know some waxes burn longer than others. Beeswax burns longer and hotter than most. Longer is good. I don't think we need it to burn any hotter unless you are using it to generate a little heat in the winter. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:35 pm

I know some evaporates which is better than building up in the bottom of the candle area.I'm going to give one of the emergency ones a test burn,see what it'll do for light and heat..and if the wax builds up also..before forming a new candle around it.I have a coleman citronella that i want out of the "alky stove" can anyway...Making me a "Coleman" stove! :mrgreen: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Saturday was a pretty good day for me yard selling. I picked up a dozen duck decoys with line and weights for a buck. 3 mole traps for $3. Nike golf bag for a buck. Coleman/Aero inflatable mattress for a buck. Bug zapper for stumpjumpers wifes sewing barn for $2, 6 Glosch resealable lid beer bottles $3( have enough to try out my Mr. Beer brewer now) and a Gateway computer setup including 17" monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all paperwork and support disk for......$3 :DP: Turns out alot of my older programs will not work on my XP operating systems so this new computer will be just for the older stuff. It had a bunch of elementary school type programs on it so I assume it was used solely for a child. Not a bad haul for $14 :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 pm

not bad at all. you did very well too.

if you think you have problems getting you older programs to work on xp try vista. its a headache trying to find all the drivers and patches that you need to make it all work.

when is duck season in your parts? its a little diferent everywhere i think.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 am

Not a bad haul!I have a couple Ping Hoofers I need to get rid of..the market went down the toilet for PING around here.I don't buy anything PING anymore...stuck with a couple clubs and bags...and I don't golf.. :evil:
The hoofers used to sell at $100 each..quick!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:59 am

6 Glosch resealable lid beer bottles $3
I made a batch of root beer in those bottles. They were in the oven(no heat) fermenting and 2 of them blew their rubber gaskets/seals :o

Were the seals bad or was it my recipe? I'll never know :lol: The root beer tasted great!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:38 am

6 Glosch resealable lid beer bottles $3

It would have been a better deal if they were full.. :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Well..I'll be darned! :DB: Two Ucos in two days..same thrift store! :mrgreen:

For those that are interested..this second one(silver) is the new generation Uco Candle that uses a tealight candle.The top doesn't rise,stays at that height.The bottom unscrews to put a new candle in..
Specs:Price on plastic tube is $10(looks like an REI or Joe's tag)
3-4 hour burn per tealight candle
3.2 oz pack weight
Stainless steel heat shield and candle holder,stainless steel bail
Aluminum body,won't rust,chip or wrinkle
Candle will self -extinguish if it tips over
Air vent under base and feet allows airflow through the candle,even when standing.
To clean the lab-standard glass(withstands heat of direct flame)..chip off the large chunks of wax and chuck it in the dishwasher!
1/2 the size of the older model when extended
Light output?

I think we have a winner here!Of course they do recommend Uco tea light candles. ;)

I also found a bag of a dozen silicone bracelets and large colored o-rings of all sizes for a buck...and an Eddie Bauer sleeping bag cover(waterproof bottom,top?..with pad holder).
That way I can carry just a tarp(have),small bugnet tent for over the head(have),and the sleeping bag cover since it has its own built in ground cloth..another lightweight option! :DB: :DB:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I spent $15. I forgot the Toro 50 ft. collapsible garden hose on a reel. Like a firemans hose, it rolls up to about 12 x 12 x 1.5 for compact storage. Tested it out last night....no holes or leaks. Another dollar :lol: :DP: The one barn sale i was at, the owner was selling everything for a dollar. I like those kind of sales ;) Usually alot of junk but this guy just wanted to empty his barn.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:07 pm

Went to the Salvation Army to day and all I got was the time of day :o :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”