Gotta new sweetheart!Ain't she purdy?!Don't tell the wife!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Re: Gotta new sweetheart!Ain't she purdy?!Don't tell the wife!

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:32 am

to store it long term.

You are going to fire it up and use it right?

You're not a collector. It should be auctioned off on ebay and the collectors given a chance to put it in their museums :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:24 am

A man I work with came across one of those...for free. His wife runs a care center and gets things like that donated on occasion.
Will it run on alcohol? Cause he thinks it will.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Vibe wrote:A man I work with came across one of those...for free. His wife runs a care center and gets things like that donated on occasion.
Will it run on alcohol? Cause he thinks it will.

No way it not run on alcohol just coleman fuel
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:35 pm

I noticed it was overfilled and poured a third of it out last night...I got the directions with it and a set of the 8R ones also...My concern was more for the seals going bad being in gas for about 40 years..or drying out..That's why I was wondering which way was better,soaking in gas or not.They seem to be in really good shape.THNX....
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:50 pm

I did also get a book that day at a garage sale called "The Portable Baker,Baking On Boat And Trail" By Jean and Samuel Spangenberg...Has lots of recipes and all about available trail and camping ovens..plus some homemades from cans.
They had an "Outfitter Oven" from Fox Hill that retailed for $64..for $25 I passed on...brand new and unused.it looked like 1/2 of a Little Chieff Smoker that had a couple shelves(open the front door and slide the pans in...) and a heat shield at the bottom to circulate the heat around the inside of the outside walls and the shelves.It was made to cook over a propane stove or even a single white gas style.Interesting concept that fit standard square cake pans about 9x9....Something like the Coleman ones but out of that textured aluminum and steel rack.They would probably be great for baking while car camping!..too big for kayaks or hiking....However..Hmm...I could make a double layer one for single muffin tins,even out of a large one gallon tin can... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:59 pm

realityguy wrote:too big for kayaks or hiking....However..Hmm...I could make a double layer one for single muffin tins,even out of a large one gallon tin can... ;)

lots of kayakers use the "Outback Oven" and rave about making pizza while camping on a rock in the ocean.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:32 pm

It's shown in the book also..says there are three models with the UL one just parts for using your own pot..includes the diffuser,parka,and reflector.
Hiked up to a local lake today(can you say "game trail" :o )..We ate a hot lunch of linguini with chicken and mushrooms(microwave meal warmed in boiling water),coffee,and finished up with 1/2 the blueberry muffin and the "Bear pile brownie"(pictures I sent you last night)..not bad!..If you throw trail mix in brownies..pull out the raisins first..They just don't go with that.... :o ....seem weird...The nuts and M&M were great and looked just like a bear had eaten an old hiker! :mrgreen:

I just fired up the alcohol stove with fuel in both chambers and let it burn for 50 minutes or so..boiled water,heated the meal in the water,heated a 12oz can of coffee to just below boiling and while cleaning the dishes.. it was still burning..I just let it burn itself out after that.

I'm getting tired of hiking into lakes that are still frozen over!When's summer gonna get here?There were a couple fishermen that were the first in for the year(by their tracks) that used a GPS unit to get there.We just followed their tracks the last 500 yards to find the lake..They were catching a few small trout in the small area of the lake that wasn't still covered and having a few small beers... :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:25 pm

OOPS! Got another question..A guy out at the local swap meet has some kind of coal mine lantern that you put some kind of chemical in,add water..it gives off gases that will burn and produce light..Know what I'm talking about?..something from 1900 or before.I think he wants $15-20 for the small brass thing..It's not something I would buy..just more curious about the chemicals and that..You probably can't get the chemicals anyway anymore with wearing a hazardous waste suit... :mrgreen: ..GOT ONE? :?:

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Sounds like a carbide lamp. Here's some info I found with a quick goggle:

http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley/buying2.htm
http://wasg.iinet.net.au/lampfaq.html

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:25 pm

GREAT find RG. I have one probably as nice but cost $20 on ebay years ago. It was doubled stickered on the tin. Optimus and Primus. I can't remember which was covering which at the moment though. I wonder if it was a fluke at the manufacturer and might make it MUCH more valuable, like $21 :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”