JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:38 pm

Well RG, this midwestern area does not have the massive hiking outdoor enthusiast that you have out west BUT, once in a great while, that can work in your favor. The thrift stores pretty much recognize NorthFace and Columbia gear and they seem to charge more for those items but some of your more upper scaled brand names, they don't recognize. :DP: :DB: :DP: :DB: :DP: Long story short, I went to a special needs softball championship tonight and decided to stop by the thrift store on the way. I found a nice Columbia Core jacket to fit inside the Columbia Shell Jacket I bought last year...cost $3.99 and THEN I spotted this little gem of a rain jacket that looks to be brand new for a whopping $2.99 :DP: :DB: :DP: :DB: :DP: BINGO!!!
DSCF2299.JPG
Patagonia Rain Jacket
It has some long pit zips and everything about it says quality. I guess that's why their gear sells for premium prices! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Re: JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:07 pm

nice find!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:31 pm

Appears our stores are shipping their excess back east... ;) ..hey..there's so much it has to go somewhere! :lol:

Nice find!I always look for patagonia stuff..usually it's fleece stuff around here..occasionally jackets..that don't fit me.. :cry:

Atta boy,CUZ!Maybe we can start midwest tours also!... :mrgreen: I don't think your tips would be as good as mine though... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:58 pm

I couldn'y make ends meet on tips around here. :( They have yet to figure out that Patagonia, Marmot, REI, and Arc Teryx are a little more upscale than AE, Old Navy, Aeropostile, Abercrombe Fitch. That's great for me but I don't see much of it but am always looking ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:35 am

here's the set I found about 3-4 months ago..looks like it was worn once in a sprinkle.. :lol:

I had to pay 5 times what you did! :cry:

You know..I don't think you or I get the same satisfaction paying retail for something as others... :mrgreen: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:19 am

realityguy wrote:here's the set I found about 3-4 months ago..looks like it was worn once in a sprinkle.. :lol:

I had to pay 5 times what you did! :cry:

You know..I don't think you or I get the same satisfaction paying retail for something as others... :mrgreen: :DB:

I don't get much satisfaction from paying retail store sale or clearance prices. But to find a thrift store or garage sale deal like this one puts a smile on my face for a long time. :lol:

Looks like you did alright on your rain jacket. I prefer the full zip tops but when your talking about a $100 $200 piece of clothing for a few bucks, I'm not quite so choosy ! :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:24 am

HOLY COW,CUZ! I think we both could fall into a septic tank and come out smelling like roses,lately. :lol:I went out to the car to retrieve the Columbia Core jacket to see if it fit the Columbia Shell i bought at the thrift store last year and has been hanging(hiding) in the garage hunting closet since then(the wife says I have way too many jackets :roll: ) It zipped in perfectly so I tried it on.....nice....then I noticed there was something in the zipped breast pocket :o ....the thrift store workers will miss items sometimes as I have found extra goodies in golf bags and backpacks before. Well, i unzipped the pocket to find a pair of titanium framed Oakleys! :D :DP: 8-) I need to go buy a lottery ticket...I'm runnin' hot right now! :DBfire:
DSCF2302.JPG

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Sounds like you picked up the employee's stash.. :mrgreen: patagonia and oakleys :lol:
That's another item than comes into thrift stores cheap($1-3)around here..sunglasses..I can't benefit other than reselling them cheap because of my slight prescription..But I did find a pair of serengeti drivers that were just my prescription;wear them a lot.
I have to be careful and hide them at home.The wife finds them and has walked off with a couple more pair of serengetis and a pair of nikons("but honey..I bought them for you! :mrgreen: ).I'm hiding one more of each right now..SHH! :lol:
Somedays I feel like IR... :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:07 pm

The Oakleys were actually in the breast pocket of the columbia shell that I just ditched into the hunting closet as soon as i got it home last year. I think I need to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. I might be able to buy all NEW gear if I hit it big ! :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 pm

:lol: :lol: Look what the wife found!

Cute..now the wife lost BOTH mailbox keys so now we can't get in the box.She was digging in the "message area" cabinets and pulled out 3/4s of these..I told you I bought lots of sunglasses in the past!... :lol: ..and we still can't get in the mailbox... :cry:

I think I'm going to keep the raybans for beater glasses for the trail. :mrgreen: She's snagging the bolles,doesn't like the maui jim style..nikon too big for her(thank god).and she'll probably keep the serengetis for the eyes in the back of her head.She lost the lens for the one pair(where?..doesn't know) so just keeping it for parts because it matches a couple other pairs..I guess.
My serengetis aren't in that group...Let's see..she's got the bolles,another pair of nikons,several serengetis,another maui jim...Guess I'm going to be like IR and start hiding the dang things better when I bring them home... ;)
I gotta see what is scratched..I'll be doing some sunglasses cleaning tonight...see what else I can round up...

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”