frying pans for hiking...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

frying pans for hiking...

Postby realityguy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:54 pm

I've been trying to find a decent smaller frying pan for hiking.The other lightweight one I posted about eons ago lost it's coating the first time out and was really a piece of garbage that burned the crap out of everything.YECH!
Anyway..I was at goodwill the other day and think I found what I've been looking for..couple pans(actually two of the slightly larger size..3 pans):

SWEET!I tried the smaller one this morning for frying eggs and because it is a thicker commercial duty pan,it did an excellent job over the alcohol stove in full blaze!This is a Wear-ever 306,weight at 5-1/2oz(I'll suffer for good egg cooking!),diameter is 6" at the rim and 4-1/4" at the bottom,perfect for cooking one egg,pancakes, or two eggs squeezed together in the pan!Handle even has a nice hole for a small carabiner to carry the thing outside the pack.
The other longer pan(got 2!)..I haven't tried yet but might be nice for omeletes,pancakes,or double sunny side up eggs..copper clad outside,slightly thinner than the wearever and a unique oblong shape..but I'll have to use foil for a lid because of its shape.6-1/2"x4" bottom and 5-1/2"x8" top,weighs 5oz..no brand name and has a wood handle that might get charred..oh well..why I bought the spare.. or I'm thinking of making a removable aluminum handle that attaches to the bracket rivetted to the pot.
Goodwill was having a sale that day with 30% off kitchenware,each at $1.99 became about $1.40 each..SCORE! :mrgreen:
I HIGHLY recommend the Wearever pan if you can find it!It is a nice compact,thicker pan for better cooking on the trails!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: frying pans for hiking...

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:52 pm

weight at 5-1/2oz(I'll suffer for good egg cooking!),

Me too!!!! :mrgreen:

Nice sizes and a good find. Last week I found a heavy weight stainless steel with heavy copper bottom, kitchen aide brand, never been used $3.00, at a thrift store. It's aheavy sucker, hevier than cast iron :o I couldn't pass up the deal :DB:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm

I've been using the imusa cacerola. It's about 41/2 inches in diameter and just a little heavier than the one egg wonder and cheaper. It's a little thinner too, which means it cooks fast and hot. Treat it like you would a home teflon pan (never use steel utensils or let it overheat) and it's fine.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:I've been using the imusa cacerola. It's about 41/2 inches in diameter and just a little heavier than the one egg wonder and cheaper. It's a little thinner too, which means it cooks fast and hot. Treat it like you would a home teflon pan (never use steel utensils or let it overheat) and it's fine.

The pan looks good:

Use it over a StarLyte that sits in a fancey feast cat food can to make it simmer. Use your favorite vegy oil to help things along.

Better yet, use a Budlyte Super Stove

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 pm

It's nice it has a lid that comes with it..$6 at all wallyworlds.I need to hunt a lid up for my wearever.I've got so much cooking crap I know I have one..just gotta dig!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:02 pm

A good selection of imusa is hard to find here my local area. Lots of locations in California probably due to high hispanic populations.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 pm

I checked the local wally's here today also..They don't know what Imusa is,everything in that cookware department is PRICEY!..They did have the One Egg Wonder..with no lid..
They also had that Coleman Max cookware set for $25.88..$5 higher than back east I guess.. :o

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14 pm

I'm tempted to modify the handle of my one egg wonder and add some wood to it. Make it just long enough for 2 fingers to grab it.

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”