Two Fly Rods, a Huge Mosquito Net and a Serger Machine

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
samh

Two Fly Rods, a Huge Mosquito Net and a Serger Machine

Postby samh » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

I go to the Goodwill at least twice a week. Last Saturday was a good day. I found two graphite fly rods and one of the mosquito nets that is designed to go around a cot (I plan to chop it up and sew it to the underside of a tarp). My girlfriend got the super score though. She found a serger machine for only $50. I'm pretty stoked because it's going to make sewing my vapor barrier clothes for this winter much, much easier (once I figure out how to use it anyway).

- Sam

Mags

Re: Two Fly Rods, a Huge Mosquito Net and a Serger Machine

Postby Mags » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:24 am

The treasures you can find at the thrifter are amazing!

I once found a Patagucci fleece for $4!

A bit too heavy for backpacking..but man, what an around town jacket. :)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:27 pm

Awsome scores, whoohoo.

Talking with friends after dinner last night they said they purchased two recliner chairs for 25 bucks each. Really nice shape and fabric patterns. I relaxed in one of them while watching tv :)

It's a special feeling when you walk out of these stores with such bargains. Almost makes me want to go back in and donate a couple extra bucks. Just for the heck of it, let's do that the next time we get an exceptional deal :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Mags wrote:The treasures you can find at the thrifter are amazing!

I once found a Patagucci fleece for $4!

A bit too heavy for backpacking..but man, what an around town jacket. :)

Just yesterday I snagged a Mtn. Hardwear rainjacket in like new condition for $5.50!

Last week I got a Marmot precip in my wife's size. Again, perfect condition.

I find deals like this surprisingly often. Some of this stuff is so new that I can't help thinking the donater was getting revenge on an ex-lover. :D
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:21 pm

Skidsteer wrote:
I find deals like this surprisingly often. Some of this stuff is so new that I can't help thinking the donater was getting revenge on an ex-lover. :D

Heh... No doubt. :)

When the students leave town in Dec and again in May, the thrift stores (and curbs) are full of amazing schwag!
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

samh

Postby samh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 pm

I never feel like I need to donate extra bucks because I buy enough stuff there that I use for awhile and then just re-donate. I'm constantly buying vintage button up shirts that I wear to the office and then after a few months have found enough new ones to bring back the old ones.

I wish it was a score every time I went there, but I'd say half the time I walk out of there with nothing. The main thrift store I go to can be hit or miss. There's rarely any really sweet backpacking apparel although I have found some Sierra Designs and Patagucchi stuff there before. I live in a city that's pretty outdoor oriented so that stuff's out there.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 pm

samh wrote:I never feel like I need to donate extra bucks because I buy enough stuff there that I use for awhile and then just re-donate. I'm constantly buying vintage button up shirts that I wear to the office and then after a few months have found enough new ones to bring back the old ones.

I wish it was a score every time I went there, but I'd say half the time I walk out of there with nothing. The main thrift store I go to can be hit or miss. There's rarely any really sweet backpacking apparel although I have found some Sierra Designs and Patagucchi stuff there before. I live in a city that's pretty outdoor oriented so that stuff's out there.

I must divulge that I travel for work and I save thrift store addresses on my laptop from every place I visit. :D
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:03 pm

I must divulge that I travel for work and I save thrift store addresses on my laptop from every place I visit.

Skids, Skids, Skids.....I'm afraid it's more serious than originally thought. :o You are showing all the signs of a classic thriftoholic! :P You must first face the truth and admit your addiction. I am a recovering thriftoholic myself and if you ever need to talk, just pm me. :lol: There was a time when I would hit 7 or 8 thrift stores on my only day off. After seeing a thriftologist, getting counciling and the price of gas skyrocketing ;) , I am on my way to recovery and just hit the Goodwill on the block that I work on a frequent basis. By limiting my traveling and thrifting, I find I have more time to tinker with stoves, drink beer, and have a good cigar more often. Giving up one vice just leads to another :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Ridgerunner wrote: Skids, Skids, Skids.....I'm afraid it's more serious than originally thought. :o You are showing all the signs of a classic thriftoholic! :P You must first face the truth and admit your addiction. I am a recovering thriftoholic myself and if you ever need to talk, just pm me. :lol: There was a time when I would hit 7 or 8 thrift stores on my only day off. After seeing a thriftologist, getting counciling and the price of gas skyrocketing ;) , I am on my way to recovery and just hit the Goodwill on the block that I work on a frequent basis. By limiting my traveling and thrifting, I find I have more time to tinker with stoves, drink beer, and have a good cigar more often. Giving up one vice just leads to another :D

I can quit anytime I want to.

Did you know that if you dye your hair gray and walk real slow they'll give you a discount?
Skids

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:02 am

[quote
I can quit anytime I want to.

Did you know that if you dye your hair gray and walk real slow they'll give you a discount?][/quote]

Getting discounts at the thrift store was the ONLY thing good about turning 50 last year. ;) Of course, there is those mail drops from AARP that I receive every couple weeks. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”