Vintage Campways candle lantern..

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Vintage Campways candle lantern..

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Here's an interesting candle lantern for camping I've never seen before! CAMPWAYS..folding candle lantern that is supposed to have three mica sheets on the front and two sides,door to light it on the back,spring loaded candle holder on the bottom(twist the bottom ring and it locks unto the candle.Unfortunately the front mica sheet is gone..does anybody happen to have one just laying around? :o (Fat chance! :lol: )
6-1/2"x4x3/4 when folded right..7-1/2 oz..roughly 4x4x9-1/2" when unfolded..not including the bail..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Re: Vintage Campways candle lantern..

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:59 pm

nice find RG!
i think Lee Valley still sells a copy of that lantern, but all in polished brass. i used to have one but not anymore.

edit:
here's the thirty-dollar brass one:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... at=2,40731
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Looks like quite a difference of weight ..about 5oz in brass verses aluminum.I wonder if they use glass now instead of mica...Maybe I should rip the top off it and make stove out of it..what do ya think? :o (I see RR over in the corner clutching his heart.. :mrgreen: )

:cry:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:35 pm

the one i had did not have glass in it. if it wasn't Mica it must have been some kind of plastic.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Nice find :D

I have some sheet mica, what size do you need??

Let's trade something :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 am

No Mica, Cuz? Worthless, I tell you. I will send you postage so you can add it to my scrap pile! :lol: Both of mine have mica panes. One was damaged but there was a member who was kind enough to send me a piece for the repair. Thanks, Oops! (King of Stovies)

The smaller one has an original sticker price of $1.59 REI, Seattle. Cuz, this probably came from one of your thrift stores before you were able to get to it! :lol: :lol: I have another one similar to the larger one that I can not locate right now but I remember it actually having adjustable bottom venting. I will post a pic when I run across it. It might be after the thaw out. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 pm

I'll be leaving it as it is and finding another someday..just use this one for parts(or make the folding stove out of it until meltdown..)...That's a nice clean one you've got there!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:30 pm

I was having a pretty bad day at the thrift store today until about 10 minutes before I left..picked up a new kelty internal frame backpackfor cheap and ran into a friend that sold me a Bernina Electronic Record 830 sewing machine for $10 more than he paid for it in another thrift store... :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: That made my day since they resell for a pretty(solid gold!) penny! :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:47 pm

realityguy wrote:I was having a pretty bad day at the thrift store today until about 10 minutes before I left..picked up a new kelty internal frame backpackfor cheap and ran into a friend that sold me a Bernina Electronic Record 830 sewing machine for $10 more than he paid for it in another thrift store... :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: That made my day since they resell for a pretty(solid gold!) penny! :lol:

Good to have buddies keeping their eyes open for your your stuff. How many sewing machines do you have now??? More than Oops has stoves???? :lol: :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm

3 berninas..807,817,830 record(2 on craigs),2 pfaff 1222Es,2 or 3 singers,a featherweight,a brother,and a white..and a Pfaff hobbylock serger..Might be some more floating around I forgot about.A while ago I picked up an "accessory arm" full of parts and feet..for a guess what?..Bernina Record 830! :DB: :DB: :DB: Good thing I didn't put those up on ebay!
Yesterday I bought the coolest looking sewing cabinet..kind of an art deco style that the back of the chair fit in tight and made the center of the cabinet for 24.50..but no sewing machine.Instead it had a booklet and about 5lbs of accessories for PFAFF..which I didn't have for my machines.Unfortunately the feet don't fit but I gained 13 bobbins and 27 needles that do..and a cool cabinet I might be able to revamp for this latest Bernina or my Pfaffs...I'm keeping the walking foot pfaffs...
"Honey..can I add on a sewing room?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”