Gore-tex material..interesting..

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Gore-tex material..interesting..

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Well..I bit the bullet and threw 2 one-dollar bills on the counter along with the 19 cents change for the state goverment taxes and walked off with a couple yards+(56x86) of the real deal..Gore Industries Gortex!.. in a nice looking "Sunflower" color(almost identical color to my two sierra design jackets)..now to figure out what I'm going to do with it! :?:

It might make an interesting poncho/tent/bivy/bag/pad pocket with the addition of a small amount of material at both ends and a little bit of sewing.Lots of ideas going through my head right now.. :lol:

Hmm... :roll:

Edited before you ask..10.25oz...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: Gore-tex material..interesting..

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:35 am

i say make rain pants.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 am

Well..I did get this also for my c-o-l-l-e-c-t-i-o-n... :lol:

Kelty Streamside 4

10-1/2lbs!I won't be packing that one! :o

Rain pants..I don't think I'd wear them enough to make it worthwhile..I don't really care if I get wet on the bottom half and have 2-3 pairs already of lighter ones...I do have a full REI rainsuit also so "clothes are pretty much out of the running...too much gortex here(in the thrift stores AND the house!) to think about making clothes out of it.I'll surprise people with sumpthin....
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Make a Poncho to cover you and your pack.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:59 pm

zelph wrote:Make a Poncho to cover you and your pack.

Yes, one that can also be used for a shelter !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Make a Poncho to cover you and your pack....

...Yes, one that can also be used for a shelter !

Thinking in that direction...I have one tent project I shut down that might work out nice to piece it together with the Gortex on top and the green as the floor and vestible...or something like that..
A 56x86 piece of material is barebones for covering a body and getting any slope to a roof..or room to roll over but it probably can be done..with a little extra added that would need to be carried for a floor anyway...add some mesh sides..it would make it.yeah..I've thought about it..have my de Vinci sketches/calculations in front of me.. :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:59 pm

...and...Something else that would be interesting is a one piece hammock "pod" that could also be pitched on the ground..waterproof top and bottom..but breathable.Expandable zippered mesh/entry section..sleep corner to corner..asymetrical cut using the gortex's shape. :o
The brown I have lots of would go nicely with the sunflower top end and black mesh..Maybe I should get matching lines and paint the stakes gold... :DB:
:roll:

:lol:

Maybe I better pitch my smallest brown hammock and see if there is any way to cover it all with the Gortex... :roll:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Nows the perfect time for all those sewing projects. Go Cuz! I'm curious to see what you end up with. I'm sure it will be a winner ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Unfortunately I've got other items on my plate right now..With craigs,$700 the last two days..half from around your neck of the woods but farther north.I need to prep for weekend work this month leveling up part of a house and putting in a new foundation under about 2/3rds of it.
..but my weeks are off for shoppin'!... :mrgreen:

RR..speaking of leveling..did you fix your wonky garage door..or just using it as is?

Goretex tent..I've always thought about taking a piece of material like this(roughly 5'x8') and making "a ridgeline across the diagonal from corner to opposite corner...dropping the other two opposite corners down to the ground or near it for a "minimal" roof and "maximum length" tent area.Diagonally,with edges finished I have 9'-6" end to end or enough to cover most(all?) of a hammock if I offset that diagonal line about 8-10";with the asymetrical areas covered..It looks to be enough;probably until I pitch it over a hammock itself. Keep in mind that if you take a rectangular piece of material cut it diagonally corner to corner,you edn up with two identical triangles with the same finished side up...meaning they face the same direction. If a person made a tent i8n the above fashion,they could take two rectangles for side walls and cut them from the opposite corners(say one diagonal on one at the high left to low right and the other cut the opposite direction(low left to high right) looking down at them..) and have the finished sides all facing out..just something to think about...( I see more ..huh?s :shock: )

Got another deal the other day at the thrift store..the "materials" girl brought out 4-5 about 100" YYK new zippers.."Can you use these in your projects?"..$1 each!..Got 'em well trained! :lol: They are kinda heavy duty but will work fine in anything but super light projects.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:01 pm

RR..speaking of leveling..did you fix your wonky garage door..or just using it as is?

Cuz, you have me pegged! The cold temps have me procrastinating but after a good inspection, I believe that I will be able to loosen the cable on the high side and retighten to hopefully allow the door to level out. Warm weather is coming this week! (30's and 40's next week) :DP:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”