Gore-tex material..interesting..

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Re: Gore-tex material..interesting..

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Packa Cover...poncho that covers you and pack.....make it!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Actually..I have two ponchos already..but not out of gore-tex.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:07 pm

With all the venting ponchos have by default, I'm not sure they are the best application for Gore-tex.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Knotty wrote:With all the venting ponchos have by default, I'm not sure they are the best application for Gore-tex.

I agree, just wanted to keep him busy.

How about a pair of slip-on waders for trout fishing the nice streams he has up there. Worn inside a pair of his favorite stream crossing shoes :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:03 pm

Venting ponchos...wasn't the real reason I would make one..more of an enclosed tent idea that could be worn as a poncho..I could seal the tent up better hopefully because of the breathability of the gore-tex..Use the gore-tex as a roof for one in the sleeping area.
Guess what I bought today!Another Outdoor Products PONCHO..Large in the gold/yellow color(close to the sunflower.. :o )..for $7(50x102 coated)..as new..might make a good floor/walls for the tent idea...I see options!... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm

I can't visualize gortex being of any value to active hiking folks. The amount of moisture coming off our bodies is astronomical compared to what goes thru the microscopic pores of gortex. Just MHO.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm just thinking it might breathe better and have less condensation in a smaller tent than a nonporous material...I imagine an emergency type poncho shelter set up on a rainy day over a wet body might have a tendency to rain more inside than outside.... ;) ..Anything one could do to cut that down might be an improvement.
Reading websites and reviews of the gatewood cape and other "poncho" ideas..sounds like condensation is a problem.I know..cape is a cape and a poncho is a poncho...just something similar in size....
Using the poncho and the gortex together to form one shelter may not be such a good idea.together they already weigh about 26oz! :o ..I'd probably have to do some serious cutting to get the full coverage I'd like.A lot of my hiking will probably be in rainforest on the OP...when it rains,it POURS!..in an area that gets about 300 inches a year...

I did get another 4-2/3 lineal yards(60"wide) or so of sil-coated ripstop today..in red.Gawd awful color but the price was right!$2 again :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 pm

I have a Coleman tent that is well ventilated and no condensation forms. The down side is that it holds no heat in cooler temps.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 pm

I did buy another tent today..a large one..only because I needed a couple heavier poles to fix a couple broken sections on my kelty streamside 4.the one today is huge but didn't have the fly..got a lot of poles and I'll strip the thing out for zippers,clips..and whatever else i can salvage off the thing..all for $4..it's a new tent,just a cheap design i think.
The kelty streamside 4 is a kelty clone for a Moss design with a full stargazer top end between two crossed poles.I can't afford the $300 old moss but this one is pretty close and a very well made tent of the older kelty style(heavy rainflies and materials)..weighing over 10-1/2lbs!
http://www.kelty.com/pdf/Tents/ACFAAD1.pdf

I don't mention moss tents around here for fear someone will grab one from under my nose because I did!I'll get my $10 Moss this spring..hopefully... :mrgreen:
Replacing those two broken pole sections makes it dang near perfect!..no flaws worth mentioning and clean.It's a keeper! :DB:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”