Gotta do the IR stealth on this one..hide it from the wife!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Gotta do the IR stealth on this one..hide it from the wife!

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Found me a new coffee maker at the thrift store today--->

Starbucks Barista Italia Digital..Some poor fool got it stuck speaking Italian or Polish and couldn't figure out how to fix that problem..or they gotta a new one for christmas!Anyway.I tried it out at the thrift store and they and me couldn't figure it out with all the bells and whistles but I finally got it to pour a shot,offered them a little over 1/2 what they wanted at $50 and SOLD!
I spent about an hour reteaching it english...and it's a nice machine now!..One shot,long shot,cup off coffee,steamer..push a button,it grinds the beans the way you want,puts the coffee in the brewer,tamps them down,brews your choice of the above,then disposes of the beans in a small dispenser.Not only that..it'll tell you when the water is low,when the beans are out,and even when the old grounds dispenser needs to be emptied!You can adjust the heat,set a clock and starter,and does a self test every time to clean the steaming wand.The only thing it doesn't do is ask "Do you want fries with that?" :o
Also it told me it's only brewed 1054 shots since it was new..I added a few,probably 1058 now...Appears people have had problems with them from the reviews(mostly admitted it was their fault)..but I think it's just too complicated for most people and that frustrates the heck out of them.So they bad mouth the thing.
It does speak English,Italian,Polish,French,Deutch,Dutch,Portuguese,and Spanish! :o
I don't want my wife near the buttons on this thing. :shock: .works perfect now!
I'm thinking I might be trading it for a digital slr I've been looking at...before the wife finds out I have it... :o retail was $999 but there were selling for a mere $800 or so.. :lol:
My it's been an insanely good month,just like the good ol' days.... :mrgreen: :DB: :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Gotta do the IR stealth on this one..hide it from the wife!

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Coffee lovers go to extremes to say the least!!!!!

Steamed Milk I like!!!!

You're looking and finding, venturing and gaining :DB: :DP: :DB: :DP: Nice bargain, that will bring in a few bucks....nice
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 am

For $50 they should arrest you for stealing! :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:58 am

Think that's bad..The automatic machine I'm using now(Saeco Rio Automatica..pic below) retailed at about $800 back in 1995.I got that one from Goodwill for $12 back in about the year 2000 or so! :lol: It's till going..but I've had to replace the boiler,the grinder's brushes twice,and a heat sensor that shuts it off if you forget.
When the boiler went out,we were going nuts using an ordinary barista(keep a couple spares around)!I found another one online from only one person for $130!
I put an ad on craigs look for a "like" machine for parts.As a fluke local lady had a busted one(unknown problem since everything has to run together to even make them start),I gave her $30,tore it apart..and it had a burned out boiler element also.. :cry: .She sells a lot of them online(ebay) and told me a place to look here in Seattle(thank gawd it's the coffee capital of the US!).That small store had two dusty boilers for that machine in stock at $65.I fixed the first one and in the process it jammed the "brew group"(plastic gizmo that does all the work)and the only way to get it out was to snap a piece off(a motor pushes a cylinder up a back sleeve to put the brewing water into the brewer hidden behind the piece you need to remove locking it in place because it's in front of the screws for disassembly! :evil:How dumb is that!) ..but the other one was fine so it's in there instead.
The odds of finding the same machine are VERY slim to none.This is one the first two automatic machines by Saeco and I've only seen one other refurbished one online at $700 about a year ago!
I'll do my best to keep it going..but the grinder is reaching that point where sometimes it doesn't want to start unless you slap the cabinet on the side.The other one I have I think has a good grinder yet,just takes a pretty full disassembly to change them out.
I fix a lot of baristas to sell online and fix them for friends for a small 20% of what they sell for on ebay;usually make about $20 or so that way.One friend brought over about 6 he'd squirreled away that had problems.I cannibilized one for parts,had another one here in parts and fixed the rest,with exchanges of boilers,fixed/primed pumps,heat sensors,adjusted the steamer valves..whatever they needed.If you have one that doesn't work,I can tell you how to fix it or direct you to where the problem is and what to do with it.They are pretty simple inside.Most Saeco,Gaggia,and Starbucks nonautomatic machines are similar inside,and use the same parts.

Well..have the day off so MUST go shopping for a couple hours..It's a dirty job but someone has to do it... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm

You should become the coffee machine repair man for the Seatle area, put an ad in the local paper, magnetic sign on the door of your car. K's Coffee Conection or the KCC of Seatle

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Got rid of the evidence :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:08 pm

What evidence? ;) ..shopping was so-so..got a Gaz lantern I didn't have and another white Starbuck's Barista... :mrgreen:

My big-mouth buddy at the one thrift store supposedly grabbed my 2 Marmot down mummy bags yesterday and an ice ax...grrrrr... :evil: I think I'll have some fun with him when he lists them locally...."Gee..I listed them four times,someone said he really wanted them for $100 apiece and the guy never shows up! :cry: "Heh..heh..heh...

:lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:08 pm

realityguy wrote:What evidence? ;) ..shopping was so-so..got a Gaz lantern I didn't have and another white Starbuck's Barista... :mrgreen:

My big-mouth buddy at the one thrift store supposedly grabbed my 2 Marmot down mummy bags yesterday and an ice ax...grrrrr... :evil:
:lol:

another coffee machine :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get to the store before BMB and stay later :DP:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Get to the store before BMB and stay later

The problem is which store is going to have all the good stuff each day so where do you start? :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Get to the store before BMB and stay later

Easier said then done when the sucker is retired from Boeing(probably retired him just to get some production back in the department he "worked?" in") and has nothing better to do than grab everybody else's goodies...and camps out there morning,noon,and night for something to do.Personally..I think the wife sends him there,is glad to see him gone..just so she doesn't have to listen to his constant bragging about "everybody else's goodies he got today".
He's got to have half his house full of all the crap he buys.He doesn't use it and only sells enough on ebay to keep his braggin' up... :evil:
It's reaching a point where normal people are leaving the store so they have to listen to his crap..day after day! :lol: People that barely know hiim that shop there are starting to comment about how boring he's sounding....
The things I've found lately are mostly from other stores...I shop around and haven't wasted a lot of time there lately.I did grab about $500 worth of stuff the other day(Contax T2 camera and JVC cd recorder)..then left 10 minutes later...Didn't care to hear him say " I got a better thing yesterday!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”