DEALS

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

DEALS

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Cuz, I can't find those sweet deals that seem to be so common in the NW. I went to a gun and knife show today hoping to sell a shotgun to get a little sock money. Instead, I came home with these military surplus items. the Military Surplus store in Hamilton has the swing handled canteen cups for $18. I thought, "they're NUTS"! I picked 2 of these up at the show for $4 ea. and the other one came with the canteen and carrying bag for $5. I can live with those prices. Then I ran across a vender that had 7 military one burner stoves. I bit the bullet and bought one of his Coleman 530's that was missing the wrench/handle for $30. So much for making a little sock money! :roll: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: DEALS

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 pm

:D I can see how the two of you are related :lol: You coulda had a Kettle stove by now if only.................... :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:04 am

Shoot..All I got today was a super lightweight Large REI (polyester filled,1lb 6oz) bag for $5,a book on hiking recipes for 79 cents(Simple Foods For The Pack/Sierra Club guide to delicious natural foods for the trail) and a Mongoose BMX bicycle for parts for $6(I wanted the tires,alloy rims,and handlebars). I also did get a custom bike seat for $6...and a pack of 2-p38 can openers I've been looking for.

The mongoose tires turned out too large and scrape on the forks(Damn!) :cry: and I decided to stick with the chrome on my folder for now.The Raleigh bike cleaned up nice..I do need a pair of chrome handlebars and seat stem though..only things I couldn't save...figure about $15-20..but I could go to the black ones on the mongoose.Tires are the original Raleigh ones;have some cracks but seem to hold up fine(till I find some better ones for trails).I still need to adjust the shifter to find first gear(out of 3 speeds).Rides nice!

I just sold two sets of panniers(GRRRR!)should have kept one!Oh well..I'll find another cheap set! Trail-biking! :mrgreen:

:lol:

EDIT:..doing some checking.."super lightweight Large REI (polyester filled,1lb 6oz) bag for $5"..appears to be an REI "texolite" bag liner that weigh 25oz from the early 80s..appears it wasn't used much if at all...It's big enough to go around a down bag to increase the ratings..or inside a bag for a heftier person...sold for $50 back then..It could still be used as a very roomy warm summer bag by itself..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 am

:D I can see how the two of you are related :lol: You coulda had a Kettle stove by now if only.................... :lol:

More important than anything is "the thrill of the hunt!" ;) ..It's not important "what we find" as is "getting a good deal on it"!

I've found I can't really hit thrift stores looking for one specific item..99% of the time,I won't find it!..But..I do find a lot of other stuff while I'm looking because while I'm there,I check ALL the departments for anything of "value".If you have a good idea of values of sellable/collectible items(on ebay,craigs,or retail),it's harder to come home empty-handed! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”