More roses!:-O

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

More roses!:-O

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 pm

I don't know..I poured my concrete today and didn't kill either of the newbies helping me..maybe my karma is running high this month!
Anyway..I went to work about an hour early and figured I'd buy some cheap thrift store gloves for the newbies on the job for the pour and hit a couple thrift stores on the way.The first one petered out as usual and without gloves there other than some prissy ones I knew the boys wouldn't care to dirty! :lol: ..The second one,same thing,,nothing worth buying glovewise..but while I was there,Guess I better check out "all" departments..besides I had 15 minutes to kill!
I ended up in more of the as-is /furniture area where I noticed a couple cheapo tents(had the proverbial blue tarp type bottoms(don't buy that junk!)..walked over one aisle and spied another tent bag..I didn't see the "blue tarp detail" pulled it out a little,didn't look wiped out..and then looked at the bottom "Kelty Clark Tent"..okay,I'm buying it! :DB:
Got it home this afternoon,grabbed a beer,and went out in the yard to pitch it to see what I really got.
Damn near perfect..other than a few new cat prints(guess who!)!The "inspector" okayed the buy right out of the bag.This thing is beautiful and a nice design,though a little on the heavy side at 3lbs-12 oz in the oversized stuff sack,everything including stakes.I can live with that!Appears it probably was used for one trip or so,super clean inside and out!It'll make a nice cozy one for the wife and me or roomy solo.
This is a nice design!The fly clips on quick and tightens down.The vestuibule seems off set to one side for more room..unique!If you can find one at a reasonable price,buy it!I haven't checked the online reviews yet.

My karma must be running high this month..only thing i can figure... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Re: More roses!:-O

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 pm

Go in for a pair of gloves and come out with a nice Kelty tent....imagine that. Cuz, we're beginning to think you will find any excuse to make a stop at the thrift store..."dang, I'm thirsty, think I'll hit the drinking fountain at the thrift store, be right back guys" or "man, I have to use the restroom. There's one just around the corner at the thrift store" :lol: I can't blame you Cuz. I would be there daily after work if I was finding the wares that you come across! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:37 pm

I would be there daily after work if I was finding the wares that you come across!

If you checked as many as I do daily,you'd probably do as well... ;) ..If there's one in the direction I'm going(in this town there always is!),I'll stop in and have a looksee,especially in ones that I haven't been into in awhile.
Fortunately..between my house and this job..there are ..uh..5-6 on the way(2-St.Vinneys,2-Value Villages, and 2-Goodwills..plus a liquidation center that buys out storage units..make that 7!)..so I hit a couple usually coming home if I'm not too dirty..or in the morning if I'm showing up later(after they open)..Why not!You should understand "the thrill of the hunt"!
Yesterday I bought 20 vintage model car and 6 newer big rig model kits..for the price two of the big rig kits(Ertl 6657 Peterbilt truck and 6667 Peterbilt wrecker) sold on ebay..mostly sealed Chevy ones from the early 80s...Just gotta keep an open mind when shopping..I filled a cart pretty good! :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Why not!You should understand "the thrill of the hunt"!
I know and understand all to well; the thrill of the hunt! Not only thrifting but wildlife, fishing, letterboxing, geo-caching....... Exciting!!! :DP: :DB: :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Sweet find! Even though I'm a hammock hanger I can still appreciate a nice tent.

Gotta start stopping in on thrift stores. My daughters do it all the time but I haven't learned from them.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 pm

NO COMMENT :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:01 am

If you happen to run into vibe..tell him I paid the same for this as the Katadyn Combi..to the penny! I bet he really thinks I suck now... :mrgreen: :lol:

Next month I'll start my "Eastsider's Special"..daily thrift store tours at $100 a person... :DB: :DB:

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

realityguy wrote:If you happen to run into vibe..tell him I paid the same for this as the Katadyn Combi..to the penny! I bet he really thinks I suck now... :mrgreen: :lol:

LOL. You'd be right.
Be sure and let us know when YOU decide to sell off the extras. :lol:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I don't know..I poured my concrete today and didn't kill either of the newbies helping me..maybe my karma is running high this month!

So you lose a few during the course of the year when your karma is a little off???? :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm

I should have killed one today but unfortunately he's the owner that's writing my paycheck.... :twisted:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”