Here's my two tents worth...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Here's my two tents worth...

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Okay..new tent..
Eureka Timberline 4 DELUXE(must be "deluxe"because of the optional vestibule)..a lot larger than the other timberlines...probably a bit taller also..haven't measured that...huge inside..didn't let the cat in this one.same top plastic cross pieces and setup with older style aluminum frame...lots of air front and back.This has a nice vestibule that sticks out about 3'+..room for 2-3 packs and other gear over dirt..age unknown...No need to mention the price... :mrgreen: 10lbs

Okay..someone enlighten me on when ROSE was the "in" color for flies!! :o Looks like a real "manly" hunter's tent..no wonder it hasn't hardly seen any use! :lol: Older White Stag straight A frame in very good shape..I'm figuring the early 60s or so..self-storing aluminum poles(down inside each other),about 16 stakes... for the side walls and fly ,and one out front and back.I was thinking maybe GERRY orange(hoping) but couldn't find the logo until I got it home(tent was inside out in the big bag :roll: )Anyway..had a LIME GREEN storage bag and came in a big waterpoof canvas bag,big enough for about 4 tents...$5..Okay..I'll take it...I figure I can use the nice fly with the beaked ends by itself on not so rosy days or when I need to signal biologists... :lol: just under 6 lbs..but roomy!

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Here's my two tents worth...

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:26 pm

More tents to store, just when you cleared your way to the lathe ;)

Nice "Barbie" tent :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:47 am

Nice score Cuz. Build shelving with a section with all your tents. Put a piece of masking tape on the end with the tents info! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am

I've already got a couple doors over the tops of the cabinets for all the tents/bags but that's full and the floor is filling up again...I may have to start shipping them to Ohio..sounds like there's lots of room there. :lol: ...starting with the "Barbie" tent.(Thanks Dan!)
You can set that up in the woods..when the critters come out to laugh at ya..pick them off... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 pm

realityguy wrote:I've already got a couple doors over the tops of the cabinets for all the tents/bags but that's full and the floor is filling up again...I may have to start shipping them to Ohio..sounds like there's lots of room there. :lol: ...starting with the "Barbie" tent.(Thanks Dan!)
You can set that up in the woods..when the critters come out to laugh at ya..pick them off... :mrgreen:

If you want to ship them to Ohio, i will be glad to store them for you! :lol: the large Timberline would make a good solo hunting tent with plenty of room for gear and clothing. I am getting pumped up for turkey season. A friend came to my house this morning to look for sheds and he walked my property and the farm that it adjoins. He saw 40 turkeys in my back meadow and just think, I hunt turkeys on the other side of the state. :lol: I think I am sensing a Kodak moment coming soon. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:08 pm

That timberline is awful big!..probably 6x7' inside. :o Only thing I have bigger is an REI dome you can stand up inside about 10x10 or so.
Cuz..Didn't you say you had a vestibule for your timberline?Is that a smaller one?..just wondering.That does make a nice addition to one. ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:11 pm

yep, I have the vestibule for mine but it is the smaller version.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Cuz..Looks the same..but wonder why mine is brown??
Anyway..I was checking the net for the "rose" tent and came across the old "backpacker magazines" site..pretty handy for dating tents because they did a lot of comparison charts for them back in the 70s..might be something you'd be interested in.There are lots of pictures and I think even some "color" descriptions of the parts.I still can't find several tents i have but have a better idea of when they were marketed...
Do a search for "white stag tent" and it'll get you to the site.From there you can search "all issues" for "2 man tent" or whatever..
Since White stag was in oregon..I'll probably contact Bruce at "oregon photo"...he might have some old catalogs and that .
I did find someone on Whiteblaze that posted a different colored version of that A-frame..that looks like a newer one.It really makes me wonder why they made one in those colors... :o ... :lol:

Here's a link to the backpacker magazine's older articles..use the search on the left and make sure you search "all issues"..

http://books.google.com/books?id=7d8DAA ... ts&f=false

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”