The thrill of the thrift store hunt...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

The thrill of the thrift store hunt...

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

I figured I'd give you all a taste of it..
I hit my favorite thrift store today..no tents.. :cry: ..even asked the back room guy if he had any hiding back there.."Nope"..What the heck,..figured I'd hang around a while anyway,talk to friends.
kept checking the back "as is" area without finding too much back there.A friend found one mountain bike new plastic fender and the guy said there was a second one put out(full set) so I helped him look for it.
I came across this box(when was this put out?.. :o :
So..grabbed the box and checked a bit further..pulling stuff out and reading tags:

Holy Cow!

Gotta be 4 season and "Experimental #1"!It's got that gawd awful coated-polyurethane-nylon smell from the 70s or so that talkes a couple cans of fabreeze to cover..new tent that has never been used,right out of the box!I wonder if it was even setup in the store?
Weighs 12lbs,has a machined aluminum pole that houses more pole sections inside,six hugemungeous stainless,aluminum, or titanium stakes..I'm hoping it's all here.large red fly and blue,yellow,gray tent.With one pole I'm thinking a tall 6 sided like miner's tent or "shangrila style" that'll handle deep snow...especially since it's supposed to use a snow tube as an option.
Well..everybody is now where I am right now.I haven't set it up.I'd like for the fat cat to go back to sleep before doing so.She can be a handful trying to keep her out of a new tent!
I think I might see if I can find some history on the thing before setting it up(make you people suffer.. :lol: ),give me a better idea of how it goes and allow some of the 30-40 year old smell to go away.
Stay tuned for the next episode of "as the world turns"... :o

:lol:
If I wait until tomorrow to set it up..will it be raining?Should I lay out a tarp underneath to keep it clean and unsoiled? :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: The thrill of the thrift store hunt...

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

well you did better than i did today. yesterday i got a bodum french press for a buck. today i got a 5gal craftsman wet/dry vac for 10 and a zero water filter pitcher for 5. thats all i got. so youre doing better.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Hmm..this must be it..looks like what I expected..dated 1977..
http://books.google.com/books?id=AOADAA ... nt&f=false

Anyway..also got a lightweight REI pack for the wife,$5..a huge carabiner(why?),$1.50..a danish modern coffee table for $15,an older paper trimmer for $2,and a lightweight bicycle back rack for $1...slow day.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Looks nice but it says it is missing parts or just add-ons?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Part two...

the items missing?..those are just add-ons..I think it is more of a display tent and doesn't have the hole for a chimney,upper air vents(just the side vents and door one) and no snow tunnel(which probably attaches on the front door).I didn't bother setting up the fly once I set the tent up using an overhead line as a second person for doing so.It was all I could handle staking it out by myself using the big carabiner to the overhead line and the other three hands,watching for stealth attacks and holding the Fat Cat at bay.Fortunately she finally gave up and sulked on a nearby piece of wood...later and currently sulking in her outside bed... :evil: :cry:
Okay..this thing is huge with a pole of about 8',the floor 7-6x8-6 inside with about 3' of vertical sidewall room due to a LOT of tieouts..6 side tieouts(two front and back and 1 on each opposite side),10 ground tie outs..I don't know what is on the fly!The fly is red and I didn't even unpack it..know it has a zipper.I was going to use it but the top end still had the carabiner hanging there and no way to take it off without taking the tent down or walking inside;was trying to keep the bottom of the floor somewhat clean so stayed out as much as possible.
I no longer need to sew up a teepee,miner's tent,or even a circus tent!This handles all three of those options by itself! :DB: :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 pm

an older paper trimmer for $2,

Daren needs one :D

I need a 24" :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 pm

I already sent him one..needs another?

24" paper t-r-i-m-m-e-r..z-e-l-p-h...noted!

Gawd..About a month ago,I passed up one about 30" for cheap..figured what the heck would I use it for?!!!Ouch..they sell retail about $400-500. :roll: .. :cry:

I saw one on craigs just after that for $150..probably the same one... :evil:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 pm

One thing you might do..search your state for one on criagslist.Shipping the things across the US is a killer for cost!Figure a 24" one will cost $25-30 to probably ship at a weight of 20lbs..The arms make them have to have an oversize box.
Make sure you search craigs in all cities in your state(states are on the right of the craigs page and then it'll bring up cities and areas) and use "paper trimmer" and "paper cutter" as search words...

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Will do the craigs list thing ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 am

Assume a normal used price would be about $100 or less..probably go on ebay for more than that.Anything under that is a "steal" deal!
I checked a couple areas near you and the only one was a 4' rotary job at about $250 and another large machine trimmer for a mere $1000... :o .I don't know your exact area..and what states adjoin yours(close,your side of the state) to check those cities.Nice thing about craigs is you can check worldwide...but i wouldn't want to pay shipping on that from Tokyo... :lol:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”