Buck Whittaker Transport Knife

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Buck Whittaker Transport Knife

Post by realityguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Got one of these today at a thrift store like new for $4,,interesting knife!
http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Buck-Kn ... 694/Cat/20

Edit: sorry bad link. :roll: .try this one.. http://www.knivesplus.com/buckwhittakerknives.html .."transport" model at the bottom..mine's in blue..(2-7/8" long overall closed)

To open or close it.. the side button can be pushed with a thumb while a finger rotates the blade with the notches on the end..one hand.I can also open my expensive beer bottles with the thing!Now if they only squeezed a can opener on the thing it could be perfect..but the blade is skookum enough to be used for one with a plunge stroke..weighs 1oz so the specs say(yep..28 grams on the money)..Mine came with a nice larger split ring for my keys..knife isn't any longer than those...
Now I've got to hide it from the wife or I'll get "Oh!How cute!Can I have it?" :roll:

I shopped 5 thrift stores today and that's all I could find!I must be getting picky in my old age... :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Re: Buck Whittaker Transport Knife

Post by cadyak » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:36 am

nice knife. super light
I like some of those other ones with the other tools too, especially with the small pliers. I cant seem to break myself of the full size pliers in my leatherman.
The integral bottle opener is a nice plus.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:37 am

I'd like to find a nice small knife like this with a blade,can-opener,bottle opener,and ferro rod firestarter..and weighs less than 2oz..that I can hang from a small carabiner.As it is,I have the three items separate(ferrorod,military can openr,this knife) on a carabiner and the works weighs a whopping 75 grams with the carabiner. :o I like having what I need handy and hanging in the front on the pack straps..If you get enough crap there,it'll replace bearbells... :mrgreen:

Smallest pliers I've found are these..at 49 grams...which also contain a phillips and straight smaller screwdrivers..

I guess I should be looking for a tiny toolbox to hang from a carabiner... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 am

Smallest pliers I've found are these..at 49 grams.
When they're that small we call them "tweezers" :lol: :lol
to find a nice small knife like this with a blade,can-od like pener,bottle opener,and ferro rod firestarter..and weighs less than 2o
z

When you locate it buy a hundred and resell, all will want one :D :D

Nice catch on the "Buck" knife ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:37 am

When they're that small we call them "tweezers" :lol: :lol
I know..you need them that big for pulling your nose hairs and plucking your eyebrows,you old fart... :o :lol:

Actually..they make good "pocket" fishing pliers.. ;)

I think I've seen some knives with ferro rods..but it would have to be removable.I think someone could make it with a standard ferro rod with a notch in it..push a button and pull a 3/16s rod out from the 1/4' hanging out the end.Slide it back in and it snaps in place..That makes sense.
I have several of the Swiss Army knives..with a lot of unnecessary crap on them.I think this is the best all around one with a lot of the BS removed..military issue..weighs 70 grams--->

I noticed 2ton has some small pieces of what appears to be 3" long(ferro rod length with a hang hole) hacksaw blades that he sells cheap to be used with the rods for making the package lighter...If you need anything.PM him.He's still selling at a flea market a few blocks from here.
I was trying to get him to put together the plastic tubes,wetfire,ferrosticks,and the hacksaw blade..to sell a fire starting "package"...
I need to hunt up some of my old flyfishing "quick releases",two split rings with a quick release center so tools hang off your vest and snap on and off.Those would be good for separating fire starting tools when you need to or a quick knife when needed.I know I have some extras around here...just gotta dig in the "fishing" pile for those... :roll:

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 pm

The quick releases are nice, reminds me to get some :o :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey Zelph!Don't forget to get some quick releases!(you've been reminded)...Some key shops sell them as 2 part keychains...When you drive into somewhere that has valet parking,you can just hand them the car key and keep the rest...
Fly fishermen use them for nets that hang off the back of their vests,hemostats,knives,and other things that need to be released quickly and with one hand...

What's missing is probably a small folding fillet knife(but can't be too small when your fish average 5-8lbs.. ;) ..hung by itself for "slime" control),hook sharpener,thermometer...I've even had pens on there for filling out the almighty license-punchcards... :roll:

I know I have some more,just got to dig into my fly-ty bench area...Flyshops generally have them for $3-4... :lol: ..Okay..Just found two more knives in one of the pockets..an old schrade scrimshaw two blade(3-3/4" blades)knife and a folding Normark Fillet(5" blade)one in the inside flyfishing vest pockets.. :roll: Both too big for hanging...No wonder that vest averages about 8-10lbs..

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:03 pm

No wonder that vest averages about 8-10lbs.. :o You carry too much stuff :D Your KL92 Swiss is nice, no clutter, just the basics, sweet.

I'm going out right now to get some quick releases before I forget like I did yesterday.........................bye!!!! :P

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Actually..a couple flylines and reel spools weren't in there.. :roll: ..figure more weight..No wonder my shoulders get tired!At least the river can't push me downstream when wading deep.As long as i don't step in a deep hole,I'll be okay. :shock:

Off topic...been sewing up my tent..You guys have yours done yet?

:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: .. ;)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:49 pm

realityguy wrote:Actually..a couple flylines and reel spools weren't in there.. :roll: ..figure more weight..No wonder my shoulders get tired!At least the river can't push me downstream when wading deep.As long as i don't step in a deep hole,I'll be okay. :shock:

Off topic...been sewing up my tent..You guys have yours done yet?

:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: .. ;)
Tent????? You're supposed to be working on a woodburning tent stove first but then again, you are a bit arse bakwards! :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !