origami mess kit

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
shingaling

origami mess kit

Post by shingaling » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Plates, bowls and mugs that fold flat. 4 of each. Don't know if I'd ever use it, but it was only 2 or 3$ for all. Imagine the envious looks you'll get from your buddies who are eating out of boil-in-the-foil bags and foam cups! :DB:

Here's their website:
http://www.orikaso.com/

One pic shows all three, assembled in front and unfolded in back. Other pic is a close-up of the mug.
Attachments
folding_plates 002.jpg
folding_plates 001.jpg
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Re: origami mess kit

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 pm

I wonder how many times they are good for. Flexing(flattening) many times seem like there would be material fatigue and failure in say 5-6 times. What do you think?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 am

You're right, I think after a while they'd get a bit worn at the fold marks, and maybe the tabs wouldn't hold their positions very well. Still, they're very sturdy in new condition. Perhaps they'd be best suited to a picnic basket. If I were hiking and heating my food, I'd rather have insulated mugs and pots to eat out of.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:06 am

I purchased a pack of 3 folding bowls in a pet store. They are normally used for water bowls. Interesting how they folded and worked well for my cat. I use them outside to water the animals and cat. :mrgreen: Raccoons wash their paws in it and then take a sip :lol:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am

I've wondered the same thing on these collapsible dishes. What is the longevity of them? BP editors gave them a good report. I would rather have something more rigid and sturdy. On the other hand, when you are done using these dished, you just unfold and wash them with your tongue! :P :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 am

i've had 2 or 3 sets of these for about 5 years now and have had no failures.
i have a couple extra of the plates, but with snaps in the corners. they will form a three-sided plate or a deep four-sided bowl. i keep one in my range bag for my black-powder rifles. i measure my powder charges over it, so i can collect my spilled powder. as i said, no failures.
if you can stand eating out of plastic these are a great option.
i don't particularly like the mug. it's too fussy to assemble.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:33 pm

I think they even make an origami canoe.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:11 pm

"just tinkering" was really doing some nice origami folding on his stoves. Why not, fold the stove out of paper, place in container of water, pour in fuel, light. Paper will not be consumed while wet, pot support sits above the paper stove with paper mug filled with water. Let's go Origami stoving :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:14 pm

here..this one is pretty easy-->

http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-cup.html

I'm going to have to try that with some 6mil plastic sheeting. 8-1/2x8-1/2 makes a good size cup... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:43 am

I've been working on my Caldera Clones recently, and since packability is such an issue, I'm surprised there aren't more 'folding cone' designs out there. Or should I just play around with wood stove designs? Anyway, we oughta get the Japanese working on it.