One man's junk is another man's treasure

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Re: One man's junk is another man's treasure

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Stumpjumper and I had a good day yard sale hunting. I usually don't buy lanterns anymore but for $2 I will make room on the lantern shelf for this one ;)
Then I sweet talked the lady into these goodies for a "song" :lol:
The sale that had the lantern also provided all the huning periodicals, dating back to 1942 when they only cost 20 cents ea. along with a new Remington gun cleaning kit and a couple old coleman metal funnels in a box(not in the picture) Then a stowaway storage unit under a table caught my eye. I opened it to find it completely full of mostly hunting, fishing, and firearm patches. The Fred Bear patches caught my eye and long story short, I bought the entire tote. :lol:

We also picked up a 14.5hp riding lawn mower and a pull behind dump card for ......free :DB: They both need some work but stumpjumper is a mechanic so hopefully he will come out ahead on the deal 8-)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Then I sweet talked the lady into these goodies for a "song" :lol:

if you had been playing a ukulele while singing that "song" she would have also given you ten bucks.. or/and a kiss...:mrgreen:

:lol:

Today was a dud for me.The only thing I bought was a Black Diamond headlamp(two position,two level leds..plus a strap on battery pack(chest?pack?)..must be for mountain climbing and running..What the heck,I've only got a half dozen laying around here..$2..
Oh I did buy a compound miter saw for $25,forgot about that.A guy I was working for threw a board in my van and broke the fence on my $500 sliding compound miter..a piece "no longer available"..so I'm hoping the fence will fit off this one(looks the same,same brand)..if it doesn't,I can still use the entire saw... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 pm

The only things I found were a couple of stainless steel mugs (still can't find the right one) and a nice stainless tea pot (will replace my aluminum coffee pot for boiling water.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 pm

For all those nice goodies you should have included a dance along with the song :DB:

How much did you have to pay for the tote of patches? You can cover an entire vest with one each of those, look impressive and well traveled :mrgreen:

All in all, you got some good deals, Nice!!!!

I like the reflector on the lantern.

Last week I went to 1 garage sale................never saw so many pieces of kids clothes in my life.............no guy stuff :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:40 pm

When we see yard sales that look to be all kids clothing and toys, we might just drive on by ;) The patches were 2/$1.00 so I gave hime $25 for the whole tote.(the tote alone cost $10) There must be at least 500 patches. I forgot to mention that I also picked up a .22 cal. swinging target for $2 and a large insulated stainless Coca-Cola "glass" that would make a great wood burning stove and for a whole nickle. :lol: The small grease pot had the screen filter inside.(25cents) The Garmin etrex GPS was only $5 with case. Not often do we find yards sales with such rock bottom prices. Good weekend ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:50 pm

I think I picked up the same Garmin Etrek but mine was $8 new in the package.If you figure it out,let me know.I think I got as far as letting it figure out where I was..once... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 pm

realityguy wrote:I think I picked up the same Garmin Etrek but mine was $8 new in the package.If you figure it out,let me know.I think I got as far as letting it figure out where I was..once... :lol:

Download the manual ;)
https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00190-00

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:53 pm

I think I got as far as letting it figure out where I was..once...

:lol: go to places you've been before, leave the garmin at home :mrgreen:

RR, you shoulda gave that lady a big kiss and hug for all those goodies you got from her :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:27 am

I figure it's hard to get lost on the coast..one direction is usually a cliff or brush you can't get through and the other is up to your neck in salt water and surf..other than that it's sandy beaches,rocks,and PO sealions...
Also..most of the trails in Olympic National Park look they were groomed with a zamboni..and well signed..it's hard to get lost there unless you are blind..

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:48 pm

I've been lost in the woods....NOT fun! I would have killed for a gps, compass, cellphone.....Late in the day, I finally came to a road and decided not to go back in the woods. Got picked up and eventually got back to camp. :roll:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”