Queston about used sewing machines

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Re: Queston about used sewing machines

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Make sure you can at least do straight stitching and zigzag..it may not do zigzag being that old.I zigzag back and forth across the nylon tie=outs for strength and other areas that need it...If you don't have that,it'll really be time consuming to strengthen those areas.
Velcro areas I go around the perimeter and X across the center if it is a small patch of it.Strapping get's doubled..zigzagged,then zigzagged around the perimeter of the attachment point and X across the inside of the attachment point..Seams,fell seams, and zippers get 2 straight rows and some back and forth at the ends for added strength.Backoacks get backing pieces sewn inside for most straps unless there are multiple layers where straps are added or sewn in while constructing the main pack.
Double check the electrical cords on really old machines..and the belt if it is belt driven.They both crack badly from sitting.
Being "not used for forty years" can create flat spots,weak spots, and other problems.it's also the twenty years of hard use when they first got the machine that put on the wear.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Well I ended up buying it. It was built in 1954 :o

It's built like a tank but meant to be portable. It comes in a case with a handle on the top. I couldn't believe that handle was enough to hold it but it does. Be thankful the German women didn't fight in that war. They must have been amazingly strong to cart this thing around.

All the power wires need to be replaced. They are cracked like you would expect but still flexible and not shorting so the inner wire cover is still good. I will replace it all just to be safe (actually my brother is doing it for me). I listened to several of them run in youtube videos and this one is really quiet in comparison. The paint doesn't have any scratches or any sign of wear on it at all. What a machine!

It does have zigzag and adjusts to a few different sizes. I was lucky that there was a needle in it already. One video showed how it would have to be adjusted to set the needle and I was hoping that didn't need done. At first, the lower stitching was very loose but I checked and the bobbin was not threaded through its tensioner. After that it ran perfect.

I had that used white machine my wife bought. It was the first thing I ever tried sewing on. What a difference a well made machine makes. I thought I was having so many problems because I didn't know what I was doing. With this machine even I look like an expert.

It has a box full of accessories. Including three of the ones that fold the seams for you (remember you telling me to iron those first). It even has double needles. I've never seen anything like that before, they go on just like a regular needle but have two actual needles coming out. The owner didn't know what they were used for. It's also not a standard version. It has an attachment (with gears.levers) added onto the back which I think is for embroidery (I'll never use that but it's nice to know if I ever sell it). There's a knob on the front that disengages the feet so you can do freestyle, pretty cool.

Thanks again RG for giving me the names of machines to look for. It took a while but I finally have one :DP:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:50 pm

The older machines are stronger and more durable..broken wires were common and not that hard to replace,just something to watch for..and catch in time.Most Pfaffs can use double needles and generally have the double guides/spool holders for them.I don't use the machine's spool holders because I buy serger spools that have 1000s of yards for a LOT cheaper.The sewing stores have a cheap gizmo that stands behind the machine for holding/using the larger spools.When you load bobbins for sewing tents..do 6 at once!
I think one thing that surprised me with the higher quality machines is that I quit breaking needles compared to the singers which seriously went through them..
Sounds like you've got a winner!Did you finish that first project yet?What's taking so long? :o I guess will have to nickname you Dan... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:26 pm

realityguy wrote: Sounds like you've got a winner!Did you finish that first project yet?What's taking so long? :o I guess will have to nickname you Dan...

Dan Jr. maybe.. I think I'm still ahead of him on the sewing but way behind on the stove making.. . :lol:

I did finish the hammock but haven't purchased the better rope for it yet (can't get it locally and been lazy about it). It's not pretty but it survived a bunch of kids using it like a swing with no ripped thread on the seams so I call that a victory. I ran into problems shortly after that with broken thread no matter what I did or a complete stall of the machine. I was trying to use it to sew scout patches onto a shirt and it bit the dust. I have the kids pack from Dan that needs the straps sewn. I have it rigged with paracord for now and that works but it would look much better sewn down.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Here here now :( don't deprive me of my title :lol:

I had at one time a double needle Durkopp machine with walking foot. Made in Germany. Bought it 200, sold it years later for 700. Wish I had not sold it. :(

I now have 2 machines and don't use them :lol: call me duh!!!!!!!Dan :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I had at one time a double needle Durkopp machine with walking foot. Made in Germany. Bought it 200, sold it years later for 700. Wish I had not sold it. :(

Okay..let's see..what did Dan buy with the extra $500... :roll: ..Hmm..would he have used the sewing machine had he kept it instead? :roll:

Not! It might have been used for a good dust magnet... ;) reminds me of those lonely dust bunnies in the swiffer comercials ....He would have provided them with a good home! :lol:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:40 am

It has a box full of accessories. Including three of the ones that fold the seams for you (remember you telling me to iron those first). It even has double needles. I've never seen anything like that before, they go on just like a regular needle but have two actual needles coming out. The owner didn't know what they were used for. It's also not a standard version. It has an attachment (with gears.levers) added onto the back which I think is for embroidery (I'll never use that but it's nice to know if I ever sell it). There's a knob on the front that disengages the feet so you can do freestyle, pretty cool.

$100 That's a GREAT DEAL :D

What a difference a well made machine makes. I thought I was having so many problems because I didn't know what I was doing. With this machine even I look like an expert.

My Pfaff Hobby 301 makes me look good, but I don't have all the great accessories.

Will the Pfaff 130 do lightweight fabric, like SilNylon :?:

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 am

ConnieD wrote:

Will the Pfaff 130 do lightweight fabric, like SilNylon :?:

At first I didn't think it could until I found this video showing it doing thin material so I guess it can. I don't have any ripstop here to try it and I wonder about it because it's a lot more slippery than most fabric.

Skip to 5:05 of the video to see her sew the thin stuff.

This one in this link (below) is the style I have. The paint on mine is unmarked though and there are more accessories. I don't trust ebay prices and I think this guy is way overpriced but it he's right then I did get a very good deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-PFAF ... 4cfd293d12

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:00 pm

It looks like she didn't change the tension, that she kept it the same as for the thicker material.

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:48 pm

ConnieD wrote:It looks like she didn't change the tension, that she kept it the same as for the thicker material.

Saw that too. Kind of surprising after all the things I've read about sewing stuff. I looked closely and she made no adjustments as far as I can tell.

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”