Queston about used sewing machines

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
ConnieD

Re: Queston about used sewing machines

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 pm

I don't know.

I saw no stop-and-start in the video.

Maybe she just turned a tension dial-knob with her right hand, and, she already knew just where to set the dial.

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 pm

More good news on the machine. The company that originally sold it in 1954 is only 5 blocks from my house and they still have parts for it. I grabbed a bunch of extra bobbins for 60 cents a piece.

p.s. Connied. I was watching ramblinrev's video again and he uses a "roller" foot for thin slippery ripstop. That is something I don't have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQNJG29 ... re=related
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 am

The lady on your first video was sewing chiffon-fabric.

That is a very lightweight and slippery fabric.

I would think you could sew SilNylon, if you want.

Since the manufacturer's representatives are so close by, why not, ask about SilNylon, or, take a "sample"?

I have noticed the fabric sellers online offer samples.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am

Since the manufacturer's representatives are so close by, why not, ask about SilNylon, or, take a "sample"?

There ya go Sudden, you have it made in the shade. Everything you ever wanted to know about sewing right down the street from you. Don't get any better than that!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Don't get any better than that!!! :D

Yes it does. ;) .Get online and see if you can find the instruction manual..You might have to pay $7-10 or so for a PDF file sent to your computer and you print it out yourself..unless you can find it for free somewhere.The instruction manuals usually list accessories and their #s,how to use them,what to use with what,where to oil the machine..basically how to use everything with whatever/however it needs to be done..worth having one and it'll save you a lot of headaches testing tension settings and that..It also makes the machine worth more and easier to resell when you sell it if you have the instructions with it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 pm

realityguy wrote:
Don't get any better than that!!! :D

Yes it does. ;) .Get online and see if you can find the instruction manual..You might have to pay $7-10 or so for a PDF file sent to your computer and you print it out yourself..unless you can find it for free somewhere.The instruction manuals usually list accessories and their #s,how to use them,what to use with what,where to oil the machine..basically how to use everything with whatever/however it needs to be done..worth having one and it'll save you a lot of headaches testing tension settings and that..It also makes the machine worth more and easier to resell when you sell it if you have the instructions with it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Had the manual downloaded (free) before I even left the door to look at it (English for me and German version for my wife)

The original accessory list and description was in the tin box. I was glad to see that. Not sure I will ever use the ruffler but if my wife wants to make a hammock maybe she would like ruffles :D .

What I would like to find is the manual for the embroidery attachment. I will never use it (straight and zig only for me) but it would be nice to have for resell (If. I ever sell it).

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Didn't you want ruffles on your lederhosen?..
http://madebytrisha.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ep-by.html
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 pm

:D

I was thinking something more like this but out of gore-tex. Does it come in pink?
http://madebytrisha.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... e-top.html

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 pm

"While you're working with it, it tends to stretch when you don't want it to."

Good practice..but I don't think you can get goretex in ruffles... :roll: ... ;) Actually I found a piece of "goldenrod" goretex and made a cape/tight hammock tarp out of it ..cost me $2! :o

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4096

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:23 pm

That's a nice tarp.

I haven't been looking for fabric remnants lately. Last time out, there was no ripstop to be found. Not many hikers here. I think I might start looking at boating companies nearby. Maybe I can find some lightweight sail material and make something out of it.

Maybe a dumb question but here goes. Are you always looking for silnylon for your tarps or is there something else I should keep an eye out for?

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”