Queston about used sewing machines

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Re: Queston about used sewing machines

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:06 pm

sudden wrote:True, but I can't carry a cot very far :). I have my little campervan now too. Bit by bit it's all coming together.

You can pull it on a Pulk. they are good summer and winter :D When used in the summer, it will keep the bears informed that you are approaching. Are there bears in PA?

Double check all your knots etc. and hang the hammock as close to the ground as possible. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

http://search.sailrite.com/category/vid ... ngs-sewing

Great find! I know your sewing machine will do it.

Will my Pfaff Hobby 301?

I know where to purchase these materials because I sometimes would pick up materials in East Bay for G. Gianola & Sons Inc. (Gianola Canvas Products) Sausalito, CA. The wholesalers did sell, to me, for my own use "cash and carry". I suppose I can purchase online.

These "boating" materials have great qualities for sun, water repellancy, stain resistance.

I had Gianola Canvas Products make the bench seat cover for my truck, seat cushions for the upper "bunk bed" in my travel trailer, and, of course, the boat cover for my Hobie Cat 16'.

Heavy for backpacking, nevertheless, great materials.

I wouldn't mind having a "pearl duck" Haversack or old-design two external pocket Rucksack.
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 pm

zelph wrote:
sudden wrote:True, but I can't carry a cot very far :). I have my little campervan now too. Bit by bit it's all coming together.

You can pull it on a Pulk. they are good summer and winter :D When used in the summer, it will keep the bears informed that you are approaching. Are there bears in PA?

Double check all your knots etc. and hang the hammock as close to the ground as possible. ;)

We have bears but it's the coyotes that like to bother people, mostly when they have dogs with them. My brother was out hiking a couple weeks ago and one kept following him. He took a picture of it. It never approached too close but it was odd; they usually clear out quick when humans are around.

You would think I would be safer with the hammock closer to the ground but like rev, that's when I have the most trouble and would likely fall.

I have a very light recumbent bike now and that works if I find a smooth trail. It can carry the weight for me in certain areas (we have rails to trails here in Pa).

My plan isn't to stay out overnight in the hammock but the possibility that I might go too far and have to rest in order to get back is real. That's where the hammock and ultralight gear come in. Now that I can finish sewing the mods to that kelty kids pack I will have a good pack that sits all the weight on my hips instead of my back for those places that the bike can't reach (it will also attach to the bike).

This is one of those "years in the making" projects :). I have some nice stoves (ty zelph); plenty of ultralight tarp, food, hammock, safety information (ty connied, realityguy, ridgerunner, etc etc, all of you). I used to plan for an overnight trip now I plan in case I'm forced to have an overnight trip. Also got my amateur radio license recently and that gives me greater comms capability.

And don't forget the dog! He has a pack too :mrgreen:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm

:D

Train that dog to pull a little dog sled.

My Akita seemed interested in a little plastic sled for children. I was thinking, maybe a skijorn harness for "Baby" and he would pull the pulk. I would need a good brake.

Maybe we will get you out, in Winter? No slipping and sliding with the right footwear extras.

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm

ConnieD wrote::D

Train that dog to pull a little dog sled.

I hate to admit it but I did try something with the dog already. I have permanent scars because of it :oops:

I can't walk him much so I got this great idea when I bought the recumbent bike (see where this is going).

I hooked his leash to the water bottle bracket. It was great! He would take off after a squirrel or a rabbit and I would just tack against him and keep the bike on the trail going forward. That little dog is fast. The fun ended though when I got one wheel in the grass. He's so strong he just pulled the bike right out from under me. Boooom. Crash etc.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:42 pm

I was going to say, you could probably sew the harness with that sewing machine.

Nevermind.

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Pure Genius! (RG, she's using your big spool method too)
I was wondering what to do about table space. Only thing I found so far was a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered in fabric. This idea is way better.

Part 1

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I got a free 5' diameter conference table off craigslist for the other house that I can leave setup all the time there..NO CORNERS to catch on the tent material as you are busy feeding it through the machine.
The fabric shops do carry clear plexiglass tables that fit around the machine's sleeve arms body with adjustable feet to allow a larger work area right around the needle area..usually about 2'x3'.I've found a couple in the thrift stores for about $5.
Edges of wood will snag unless you cover them with something slick.As I said,I'd whack/round the corners off your plywood so the project can't catch on that.Large tents and hammocks(or quilts) have a tendency to snag like that
The coffee cup idea is unique.The stores do carry a cheap plastic holder that does have a metal bar on top with the eyelet made for feeding the thread over the machine from a large spool..probably $3-4.
http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmachin ... holder.htm
Another option is a simple piece of plywood and a wire coathanger bar fed over the machine screwed to it with something to hold the spool in one spot the height of the spool..the feed wire extending above it.You can make the spool holder out of the other half of the coat hanger(or bend the coathanger to do everything).. :lol: One coat hanger,a small piece of plywood,and one screw/washer..how cheap is that?You'll need a pair of pliers and a screwdriver for making it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:18 pm

The fabric shops do carry clear plexiglass tables that fit around the machine's sleeve arms body with adjustable feet to allow a larger work area right around the needle area..usually about 2'x3'.I've found a couple in the thrift stores for about $5.

That would be good for a small project. Right?

I have one of those adjustable leg height half-fold tables, I got in the camping section at K-Mart for $24.

If I find one more like it, I will do what she suggests so I will be able to more easily handle tarp-size materials.

I think I can "get by" with my Six Moon Designs "Meteor Bivy" sewing pattern with what I already have.

I am going to be sewing some really thin and really slippery material.

Shouldn't I have a more friction surface?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

I think the last thing you need is more drag on the bottom material than on the top stuff.That is asking for an uneven seam.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy