Got this cat a new winchester...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Got this cat a new winchester...

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:16 pm

She looked rather down in the dumps and neglected lately..so I bought her a new Winchester Trailblazer!Well..not exactly new..guess they quit using the Winchester name for these in the mid-seventies.

Anyhow..it looked to all be there and in very good shape 8x11 and 6-6 high in the middle..and included a hatchet,sheath,and whisk broom along with the spikes..all in a nice bag..guess I got my money's worth.. :lol: The only thing I can find wrong is one of the window covers has about a 1/2" long slice in it..I'll throw a couple stitches in that.
It took me about an hour of head scratchin' to figure out how it goes up..but she's happy now.. :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Re: Got this cat a new winchester...

Postby oops56 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:20 am

i got a tent just like that is our family tent had it for 25 + years the poles are wrong they go down the sides not in front this one not mine but you can see the poles
Attachments
my tent 2.jpg
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:07 am

oops56 wrote:i got a tent just like that is our family tent had it for 25 + years the poles are wrong they go down the sides not in front this one not mine but you can see the poles

Looks like your's is a different model. I like your pole arrangement better than the one RG has.

RG always has his cat waiting to be the first one in. :D Wonder if he has ever taken the cat camping with him away from home.

Anyone ever taken a cat camping for a weekend or more? I've given some thought to take mine when my wife and I go for a week but never have.

I checked the local thrift store yesterday and they have 3 tents on the shelf, $5 each................I did not buy one, I was in complete control :mrgreen: I was tempted to get the 4 person sold by L.L. Bean .
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:55 pm

I checked the local thrift store yesterday and they have 3 tents on the shelf, $5 each................I did not buy one, I was in complete control I was tempted to get the 4 person sold by L.L. Bean .

I would have bought them all; for sure the l.l. Bean tent. :P
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Mine is different than oops's tent.The pole across the center can have the legs splayed out different directions away from the door.Mine has loops that the poles go through across the two ends and across the center above the door with tie straps to hold it wider.The place I set it up on is too short for the tent so the left end is off the ground.The wife noticed that mice had chewn one corner hole about 1" square I can fix easy.The rest is intact.
The window covers do have straps for tying them up or down and out tight at the corners.The top under the poles is pretty heavy canvas.The rest is coated within a thicker floor.All the screen is intact and it doesn't smell bad.We're going to keep the cat happy and sleep with her out there tonight..
Taking her camping elsewhere?..nah..If she saw a bird she'd be off like a shot..main reason we don't take her hiking also.She has a mind of her own.I have a hell of a time just getting her not to cross the street..She just ignores me and my scolding... :roll:

Buying tents..I unroll them and check them out.Any "blue tarp" type material,they get rejected in an instant.If they are all nylon and in good shape..I usually pick them up.There was a two man REI dome at the same place I passed on..wasn't very clean and I'm not cleaning them any more..If they are in good shape and clean..I've sold them for $40-60..it was $3 with the poles bag,good coated fly,etc.The fly was a dome one with a beak that stuck out at each end.Sometimes they are worth buying just for the fly.A good Eureka Alpine Meadows or timberline fly makes an instant Jardine tarptent..just using a trek pole at each end..and about 1-1/2 to 2lbs.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 pm

She just ignores me and my scolding... :roll:

Heh! sounds like my cat :o she lets me live in her house :lol:

I just might go get the Bean tent on Monday to see what it looks like. :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:40 am

Unroll them and check them out carefully..make sure the poles aren't cracked(if fiberglass,but I've got a ton of extra poles).If they have the lightweight easton metal poles..I buy them instantly just for the poles...and always are a good quality tent..first thing I look at.Full flies are very important,even just for the material.Sometimes I wonder why people sew up their own "tarptents" when there are a lot of good "fly-tents" already made..other than using ultra light material to save a few ozs of weight..4 person domes make good teepee tents...I still use mine..at 2lbs 12oz with a full floor sewn in,plenty of room for 2 and all your gear,room to stand up inside(in the very center),sit up and play cribbage inside,etc..
Most of my collectible tents were cheap because the stores don't want to take them out of the bag and put them back in.. :roll: They just throw a cheap price on them to get rid of them.Some stores automatically just chuck them in the trash when they come in..too many complaints and questions(Are the pieces all there?Are the poles okay?Have you unrolled it?).
I slept out in the winchester last night..all that room,one of her sleep boxes, and two full poly bags spread out on the floor and she was snoozing curled up by/on my feet in my bag all night.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:35 pm

I'll check it out on Monday if I can find a place in the store big enough to spread it out :mrgreen:

Your cat gets a work out with all the tents you get :mrgreen:

all that room,one of her sleep boxes, and two full poly bags spread out on the floor and she was snoozing curled up by/on my feet in my bag all night..

You're her best friend and buddy :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:54 pm

First thing I pull out is usually the fly to look for a name brand..then by the front door near the bottom if the fly isn't marked.If it's a major brand like Eureka or Sierra Designs,they usually have a small tag on an inside seam that'll give you the model name.
Of course if it says MOSS on it(not meaning one that has "moss" on it :roll: )..BUY IT!..ALWAYS worth a few hunnert $... :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:25 pm

I'll be on the lookout for the MOSS. Yours looks like it's for small people and windy locations, low profile. :D

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”