Tents, three at a time, RG and RR bad influence

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Tents, three at a time, RG and RR bad influence

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Went back to the thrift store today and bought all three tents. :roll: Realityguy and Ridgerunner are a bad influence. :mrgreen:

1 - L.L. Bean 4 person - High quality tent with aluminum poles $10.00

1 - Trail Blazer by Henderson Camp Products, made in ? - Cheepee $10.00

1 - "Hillary" 4 person canvas tent, medium quality, in great condition, made in? Notice pole configuration RG and oops56 The two center poles are adjustable.

We'll leave them set up for a few days to see how well the seams are sealed. Suppose to rain tonight and tomorrow.

My wife latched onto the Bean tent and calls it "her" tent. She had been using a "trail blazer" like the one we picked up today(her father gave it to her).

We spent a few hours putting up tents and enjoying the great weather.
Attachments
Thrift Store Tents 005.jpg
Thrift Store Tents 004.jpg
Thrift Store Tents 001.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Tents, three at a time, RG and RR bad influence

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Hey!My cat wants to have a talk with your cat!... :evil: ..I think she's jealous!
:lol:

My center poles are adjustable with a ring type lever halfway up..pole inside pole affair.My yard tent space was too small and not a good spot to set it up... :roll:

I like the LL Bean one..I'm assuming it's the yellar one with the full fly and pole sleeves... :roll:

The instructions for my tent state that" it should be set up in the yard the day before use..the canvas(only has the canvas on the roof from outside pole to outside pole..about 5'x8') wet down..then wipe up any water inside..THEN pack it up for the trip".I think the canvas expands when wet,filling the stitch holes and making it waterproof for the trip.More than likely you will get water inside if it hasn't been used for quite awhile.I noticed some holes along the stitching of mine..but i didn't check after wetting it down good.I did get maybe a 1/2 cup inside.
You might want to wet it down before it rains..wipe the inside out to give it a good test for the "real thing" coming in later....
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Ahhhh! Yikes!!!! all 3 tents leaked. The wine colored one the worse of them all. The canvas one next and then the Bean.

That's good info on the canvas. I have not gon inside the tents to check them out. This is my wife's tent project :D

I'll elaborate more next time around. working on a new pellet stove, getting side tracked. Hope to get a test done on the Simmeron.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:48 pm

NEVER expect a tent to be waterproof until you spray it down with seam sealer/water repellant ;) The Bean tent is like a geodome...bombproof. Your wife will like that tent. I thought you said they were $5 ea. ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Did you get the cot there also? Looks like a round blue price sticker in the corner.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

I was wondering about the guy out lines on the hillary..did they come with the tent?..probably doesn't need them except in hurricanes..as long as the poles on the ends angle out from the more center ground area.. :roll:
Mini-flies..I avoid those tents like the plague..I can't make anything out of them other than gear hammocks and the sidewall materials of those style tents usually seem to leak like sieves...
Get(and use) some seam sealer on the fly seams of the LL Bean and it should be okay...full fly.Make sure you seal the floor seams also while you have it set up.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 am

Seam sealer was available at K-Mart for 1/2 price of most retailers in the area. My wife bought 6 cans of it at 3.59 each. She'll give the Bean tent a good spraying head to toe. I'm amazed how the aluminum poles can be bent in such extreme arches without breaking.

The guy lines did come with the Hillary tent. I would put guy lines on all tents of it's size.

probably doesn't need them except in hurricanes..as long as the poles on the ends angle out from the more center ground area..

Us flatlanders in the Midwest get some nasty winds with our storms. Northwest states are protected by the mountains and large forested areas, like your area of Seattle.

We are having a zipper problem with the Hillary. It won't stay zipped at the top, separates easily. My wife remembers reading somewhere that the zipping mechanism might be worn. Can the mechanism be pinched back into working order with a pair of vise-grips? The zipper separated more easily when the tent was wet.

NEVER expect a tent to be waterproof until you spray it down with seam sealer/water repellant The Bean tent is like a geodome...bombproof. Your wife will like that tent. I thought you said they were $5 ea. ?

Yes, when I first saw the tents they had price tags on them of $5 and then over a periode of time from handling the tags came off. I asked the woman to have someone put tags back on. When I returned to the store on Monday, to my surprise the cost had doubled :roll: When I saw the Bean with aluminum poles I thought $10.00 was an ok price. The other tent was a duplicate of my wifes present tent so she wanted the extra set of fiberglass poles so she was willing to go $10 for them. The cot was not a thrift store purchase. My wife had put on some heat activated patches to reinforce the fabric and we had it outside to sit on it to get the fabric stretched out a little so the end pieces could be fastened a little easier. The patches really tightened the fabric up.

The rain storm we had dumped about a gallon of water inside the Hillary tent :roll: I'll spray all the seams really good and one spot on the fabric that looks like it had streatched out by something heavy sitting on it during storage. That area had a pucker in it that was probably a major source of leak. I'll see if I can fix the zipper and then test it with a garden hose shower. If it don't leak, I'll give it to a scout who may be in need of a tent.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

If it don't leak, I'll give it to a scout who may be in need of a tent.

You da Man ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 pm

I've read places that zippers can be fixed by pinching them back together if things get loose..how much or how loose..I don't know..Most zippers in tents can be replaced with old sleeping bag zippers which are generally 95-108" long..if the value of the tent warrants the repair of course.. ;)
You are right as far as the wind around here..we don't get much and not too often. :roll:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

realityguy wrote:I've read places that zippers can be fixed by pinching them back together if things get loose..how much or how loose..I don't know..Most zippers in tents can be replaced with old sleeping bag zippers which are generally 95-108" long..if the value of the tent warrants the repair of course.. ;)
You are right as far as the wind around here..we don't get much and not too often. :roll:

Way too much time involved in replacing the zipper. I'll see if I can crimp the mechanism to make it work. The screen zipper works fine. If all fails, it could be used as a fair weather tent. :ugeek:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”