Tents, three at a time, RG and RR bad influence

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Re: Tents, three at a time, RG and RR bad influence

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 pm

zelph wrote:
realityguy wrote:I've read places that zippers can be fixed by pinching them back together if things get loose..how much or how loose..I don't know..Most zippers in tents can be replaced with old sleeping bag zippers which are generally 95-108" long..if the value of the tent warrants the repair of course.. ;)
You are right as far as the wind around here..we don't get much and not too often. :roll:

Way too much time involved in replacing the zipper. I'll see if I can crimp the mechanism to make it work. The screen zipper works fine. If all fails, it could be used as a fair weather tent. :ugeek:

Ease into the crimping process. Too mush pressure could be trouble. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm

I gave the zipper a close inspection this afternoon and concluded that the upper 4-6 inches of teeth are bad, not the pull mechanism. My wife says she can get the teeth to stay together long enough to put some super glue on them in hopes to super seal them together. I'll then install a few stainless steel staples at a point to prevent the zipper pull from going up too far.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Some sewing centers have the small cleats that go on the ends of zippers..points go through the fabric and cleat down on the other side holding the teeth together and not allowing the zipper to go beyond that point.You might look for some of those from anybody that sells zippers..They are cheap..probably a dollar for four or so...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:00 pm

realityguy wrote:Some sewing centers have the small cleats that go on the ends of zippers..points go through the fabric and cleat down on the other side holding the teeth together and not allowing the zipper to go beyond that point.You might look for some of those from anybody that sells zippers..They are cheap..probably a dollar for four or so...

That's what my wife said. She was out and about today and didn't get any :roll: I'll use my heavy duty staples manually inserting one or two and then bend the ends over with my teeth :o
They are actually Monel, not SS.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”