Freezing conditions leads to thriftin'

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Freezing conditions leads to thriftin'

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Eighteen degrees with 20-30mph winds made me decide to go to a nearby thrift store. Not a great day but cadyak will like the haul ;) :lol:

Fifteen dollars bought a brand new camelbak water bladder(mouth piece still shrink wrapped), a bunch(10) of stainless project mugs, a silicone baking dish, 4 new alkaline D batteries, and a Red Ledge rain jacket with PU coating, microporous backing, a hood with visor, and taped seams.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Freezing conditions leads to thriftin'

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 am

Yesiree!!! nice haul. Those SS mugs will keep you busy while your wife is away. :D

I made a new years resolution to keep away from thrift stores till I can get rid of a ton of things I purchased over the years. The stuff will go back to the thrift store at their back door. I won't step foot inside.........I'm weak :(
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 pm

thriftin' ...I am grateful we do not have thrift stores around here.

It is enough I have to avoid the temptation of "nifty stuff" found in hardware stores and builder's supply.

I had a drawer of "items" for projects never completed.

Next, a box. Next, a lot of boxes. Now, paid storage.

I have resolved no more "projects" unless I have "assembled" the tools and "other items" necessary beforehand to complete the project.

I think, I have reached "Step 2" of the "12-step program".

We'll see: Now, I want to rent a house with a garage.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I made a new years resolution to keep away from thrift stores till I can get rid of a ton of thinks I purchased over the years. The stuff will go back to the thrift store at their back door. I won't step foot inside.........I'm weak

Last time I heard..thriftin' wasn't a mortal sin..but that'll probably change soon.. :roll:

:lol:

I never could understand why it appears the most "rental storage facilities" seem to be in areas where people have larger lots and plenty of property..Why not build your own? The small town of Joyce is that way with a minimum lot size of 5 acres,but yet has a large storage facility that includes storage for RVs,boats and trailers besides rental garages for junk..seem to keep pretty full.
I used one for building my place out there..hauled everything from town here near Seattle(The locals rake you over the coals for $$$ on items).I precut and stored it and tools 2miles down the road while I was building.When I needed items..run down and get them.When I was done for trip,put the excess back in the "Garage".That prevented items from "getting legs" and walking off the job when I wasn't there.. :roll:
I no longer need that but have two storage sheds.. :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 pm

"rental storage facilities" seem to be in areas where people have larger lots and plenty of property..

those folks have more money and buy much more smaller items, thus the need for storage rental units. their garages are filled with 3 cars, cycles and bikes and possibly woodworking machinery to make ukes. :mrgreen:

Lots of those homes have so much stuff in the garage they park their expensive cars outside. :roll:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 pm

The key is having organized storage. Today, the ol' Stumpjumper hooked me up with 5 free units of storage shelving that originally came from the university. We moved eight units out of a friends basement and he probably has twenty more to unload. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 pm

In that case RR, you can do a daily stop at all thrift stores on your way home. :P

I'll call you "lucky" from now on. RG is hunkered down under a cloud of dust doin the ukelele stomp :mrgreen:

RR, here are some goodies for your new found shlving

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 pm

The new homes have no storage built-in. My small house design has a storage loft.

The stairs do not go to a "second floor". It is strictly a storage loft, 1/3 of the floor space of the entire structure. In the alternate, it could be a warm sleeping loft, if the winter is severe.

Even living for one, I have seasonal gear I want to have in storage. I bring out what I use, putting away what I do not use.

However, if I do not use something for over one year, it is a candidate to be trashed, sold, or given away.

I make an exception for unfinished "projects" that require more than one year to completion.

However, having "too much stuff" is still a problem. For me, It is all that stuff I wanted "as a kid".

I try to cut back to high-quality multipurpose items, that will last, so I only have to "buy once".

I think the thrift stores are filled with purchases that did not live up to the expectations of the purchaser, or, did not get used at all, not only rash decisions about purchases. It isn't easy to find "the right stuff" no matter how much $$$ you can spend. If you had an unlimited budget, it is still difficult to find the "great stuff".

This is why every community could have a thrift store if they wanted.

In this area, however, people have a "poverty attitude". No matter how much they have - they will not let go of anything.

In a "wealthy community" I once resided, the idea was "it's mine so you can't have it".

In my opinion, if there is a thrift store, or, a second-hand store, there is some measure of generosity in that community.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:12 pm

The water bladder is military issue; Molle II

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I didn't know they could bring that stuff home.

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”